Every Day Carry

Mauser3006

Quikclot used to risk burning. The modern stuff doesn't. There's now nothing to choose between the two brands.

The main thing to do is visualise packing a wound: Don't buy granules, buy something that is impregnated with the quikclot/celox that you can pack with (visualise trying to pour granules in to a wound on a windy day or with a writhing patient!).

I remember talking to some medics about haemostatics and the view was that QuikClot is now rather 'old hat'. As I understand it, they now use Celox gauze, for the very reasons that you say.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember talking to some medics about haemostatics and the view was that QuikClot is now rather 'old hat'. As I understand it, they now use Celox gauze, for the very reasons that you say.

Quikclot went out of fashion because of the burning issue. They changed the chemicals in use and the issue has gone - but not the corporate memory.

Agree with brown dog's comments totally......I have both quick clot and cellox gauze in my range/stalking bags along with CAT tourniquets.

Having spoken at length with local ambulance service they were of the opinion that if you used the granular clotting agents then most A&E consultants wouldn't know what it was or how to deal with it (generally,thankfully they rarely deal with ballistic trauma!).......stick to the gauze/bandages.

Regards Rob.

OK, so I really am very bored at home, recovering from an operation. So I thought that I would do a quick montage of my EDC to pass the time. The contents reflect my confirmed status these days as a desk jockey. I do have a serious ‘EDC kit’ very much like the OP’s in a Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organiser, but I got fed up of lugging it around in my briefcase. These days it sits in my desk drawer and is seldom used. The stuff below is what I actually carry around and use most days.

- Custom leather notebook cover in saddle leather by Ray Clark. This is just beautiful, but unfortunately Ray is now retired, so there will be no more of these made. This is for my ‘work notebook’.

- Contains: Clairefontaine A5 cloth bound exercise book. If you are a fountain pen geek like me, then you appreciate really nice paper that doesn’t feather or bleed. However these notebooks aren’t at all expensive.

- Custom Pilot 823 fountain pen. This just arrived this morning from Japan (I said that I was bored!). Very nicely made, although the nib needs a bit of work. My normal pen is a TWSBI Vac 700 with a custom cursive stub nib.

- NiteIze phone pouch with belt clip (not made anymore).

- IPhone 4S (not shown as taking the picture!).

- Spyderco Squeak (UK legal, slip joint blade).

- Copy of a Midori Traveller’s Notebook off Ebay. These are an absolute bargain at £9 each. This is my ‘personal notebook’. It has a stick-on Leuchtturm pen loop added.

- Contains: backup fountain pen. A Kaweco Al Sport pocket pen, appropriately enough in gunmetal grey.

- Detour leather business card holder.

- Maxpedition Spartan wallet. I’ve had this for years and it’s proved to be very hard wearing.

- Watch is a vintage 1980 ‘Fat Boy’ CWC G10 with non-ringed logo dial. This was the very first quartz watch adopted by the British Army. It still keeps perfect time, despite being 35 years old. The strap is a custom leather NATO from Jacob Straps is Spain. Being a watch geek as well, the G10 gets rotated on a regular basis with the other watches in my collection.

- The key ring is a clever thing; a ‘Twisty’ that allows you to remove the keys easily. Contains: car fob, house keys, glasses repair screwdriver, Fenix LD02 AAA torch, homemade leather washers to stop any rattle. And the fob, a gift from my daughter, which is a Kodama (Japanese tree spirit) from the Hayao Miyazaki museum in Tokyo.

OK, you can see that I am really bored, but this all works for my needs, as well as not being too bulky or heavy to carry around.

735D3652-0167-4A80-8B19-2E4FB22E7B22_zps

Shuggy what a cracking post. The belt clip is for a phone? It looks like the Spyderco would fit in it?

Thank you! The belt clip is for the phone. It's getting a bit battered now. I've been trying to find a replacement for ages, but without much luck. Most phone pouches seem to have metal clips, which chew up leather belts in short order.

The Spyderco goes into my trouser pocket, on its wire clip. I do have the larger UK Pen Knife in a proper belt pouch, but I prefer the convenience of the smaller, lighter knife.

My 80 year old mother carrys a locking knife with a 4 inch blade every day. She was asked by a police officer why she had it while sitting on a bench in a shopping centre eating an apple. The good reason was she doesn't like apple peel but has an apple a day where ever she is.

So if you get stopped there's your reason

My 80 year old mother carrys a locking knife with a 4 inch blade every day. She was asked by a police officer why she had it while sitting on a bench in a shopping centre eating an apple. The good reason was she doesn't like apple peel but has an apple a day where ever she is.

So if you get stopped there's your reason

Whilst that might work for a nice 80-year old mum with a young police officer using their discretion, I doubt that it would cut much ice for an adult male. With the easy availability of UK legal slip-joint knives, there's really no point in risking arrest and prosecution.

I often leave my Spyderco behind when I'm visiting public spaces such as shopping centres. But only because I get bored with explaining the law to ignorant, officious security guards. Life's too short!

I'm a retired bobby and a member of a knife collector/maker/user forum here in the UK:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php

For anyone with concerns about carrying a street-legal EDC, e.g. a small non-locking Swiss Army Knife, Spyderco Pride, Spyderco Terzuola etc., here's a card with the relevant legislation printed on it (s.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988):

http://www.psittacosis.net/bb/S139CJA1988.pdf

Print & carry it. In the (very unlikely) event that you're stopped and the knife becomes an issue, it could resolve the situation quickly and quietly.

maximus otter

That's really useful Maximus. However I don't think the link makes it clear that a 'folding pocketknife' does not apply to a locking folder of any length. IIRC there is case law which held that a sub-3 inch lock knife was not a 'folding pocketknife'. So no Opinels or anything of that ilk are lawful for EDC.

IIRC there is case law which held that a sub-3 inch lock knife was not a 'folding pocketknife'. So no Opinels or anything of that ilk are lawful for EDC.

Correct. The case is Harris v. Director of Public Prosecutions:

http://www.hrcr.org/safrica/arrested_rights/Harris_DirPubPros.htm

Quoted from Harris:

"To be a folding pocketknife the knife has to be readily and indeed immediately foldable at all times, simply by the folding process. A knife of the type with which these appeals are concerned [a lock knife M.O.] is not in this category because, in the first place, there is a stage, namely, when it has been opened, when it is not immediately foldable simply by the folding process and, secondly, it requires that further process, namely, the pressing of the button."

If the knife blade is capable of being locked open, in the law's eyes it's not a "folding pocketknife".

maximus otter

Just corrected the lack of keyring light and knife, that this thread brought to mind, with a pack of 10 LED keyring lights (for around a fiver ) and a Spyderco slip joint knife the "Spyderco Clipi Tool Stainless Steel Plain Edge and Spyder Edge Knife" (for about £30).

The Spyderco has impressed the hell out of me.

I'm stunned that a non-locker can feel as safe as it does - the joint mechanism itself feels secure, and it's made even safer by the clever positioning of the index finger choil that means the blade edge can't fold on your hand.

Every bit as useful as a lock knife.

Perfect size. An excellent UK legal choice. Very pleased with it.

20150408_205246_zps4rqiezjp.jpg

Just corrected the lack of keyring light and knife, that this thread brought to mind, with a pack of 10 LED keyring lights (for around a fiver ) and a Spyderco slip joint knife the "Spyderco Clipi Tool Stainless Steel Plain Edge and Spyder Edge Knife" (for about £30).

The Spyderco has impressed the hell out of me.

I'm stunned that a non-locker can feel as safe as it does - the joint mechanism itself feels secure, and it's made even safer by the clever positioning of the index finger choil that means the blade edge can't fold on your hand.

Every bit as useful as a lock knife.

Perfect size. An excellent UK legal choice. Very pleased with it.

20150408_205246_zps4rqiezjp.jpg

Have a look at the brand new Sypderco Urban, expensive but they really got it right....

http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-lightweight

• 3 weeks later...

Good lord! The spyderco UK penknife has gone up a lot in price compared to a couple of years ago - I was planning on buying one, not now though!

I think the Lansky is more of an every day carry for me, but must admit to being swayed by the subdued looks of the boker plus!

http://www.heinnie.com/lansky-world-legal-knife-18162

http://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-knives-xs

Good lord! The spyderco UK penknife has gone up a lot in price compared to a couple of years ago - I was planning on buying one, not now though!

I think the Lansky is more of an every day carry for me, but must admit to being swayed by the subdued looks of the boker plus!

http://www.heinnie.com/lansky-world-legal-knife-18162

http://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-knives-xs

Join the excellent British Blades forum. Keep your eyes out in the For Sale area; UKPKs and other EDC-legal knives often come up at competitive prices.:

maximus otter

• 1 month later...

Join the excellent British Blades forum. Keep your eyes out in the For Sale area; UKPKs and other EDC-legal knives often come up at competitive prices.:

maximus otter

Thanks for the pointer, I've gone with the lansky, partially because I could cope if I lost it. Initial impressions are that it's perfectly good for an every day carry, especially as it comes in at a price where you're not reluctant to use it.

Not strictly true. There are two separate offences here:

1. The only knife legal for EDC has a blade which is not capable of being locked open, and a cutting edge less than 3" long. The smaller Swiss Army Knives are a typical example. The relevant law is s.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

2. An offensive weapon in English law is anything used, intended or adapted to cause harm. The relevant law is s.1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/14/section/1

maximus "Ex-bobby" otter

I rightly or wrongly understand I can carry my locking Opinel travelling to and from work on a farm ?, I use it for opening wrapped round bales , as it locks it saves me from cutting my hand open most days through out the winter months.

I rightly or wrongly understand I can carry my locking Opinel travelling to and from work on a farm ?, I use it for opening wrapped round bales , as it locks it saves me from cutting my hand open most days through out the winter months.

I'm pretty sure that you would be OK. I think that the law holds that a locking blade carried for work purposes counts as 'lawful authority'. I'm sure that Maximus will confirm.

I rightly or wrongly understand I can carry my locking Opinel travelling to and from work on a farm

"13: Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.

4. It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place 5. Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—for use at work..."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

maximus otter

I am not really allowed on British Blades any more and I am definitely banned from the U.S. blade forums after a lot of stuff arrived without me intercepting it. However, I have a few knives including a spyderco delica that I was issued with to cut away stuck abseilers which has been slightly re ground to make it non locking. At work, Boker Cop Tool and leatherman. In pocket a smokepole UK legal slip joint. (Look at Willems stuff on BB.) Abroad, depending on where it is Spyderco Harpy. Hannibal Lecter recommended this!. In stalking bag Guy Stainthorp Caprelous or Shadow depending on how fierce the deer are. I could go on..........

Here is mine -

Gerber "Bladeless" multitool and Swiss Army Knife. In a nice little pouch hand made by a Polish soldier.

The Swiss Army Knife is a little bit unique in that it was hand assembled. By me ! I was at IWA back in 2009 and Victorinox had a stand there. They were allowing VIPs to sit at a little workbench and hand assemble their own knives. I managed to blag my way in :D

edc%20pouch_zps6wq6fiqj.jpgedc_zpsbdmgrldw.jpg