.260 bullet weight?

Scotch_egg

I posted somewhere on this question recently. Between factory ammo and reloads I've used 120gr, 123gr, 125gr, 129gr 140gr and 142gr bullets since starting out with the 260 Rem. I've been pleased with the performance of them all, but I do find myself focussing on the lighter bullets at the minute. However, I have some 140 A-Max in the cupboard and I will use them again for medium range paper.

I've found the main issue I have with my performance is me, not the bullet weight.

Regards

JCS

Hi Scotch you might have read my post but I have just been playing with a new load 123grn sierra match kings and H4350

good results never shot the 139grn slugs but my old load was Vit 550 and 123grn Lapua 100grn Nosler ballistic tip with tr140 very accurate we will have to get together and shoot some gongs

Nobody ever won a meaningful match with a .260 shooting bullets less than 139/142's.

And although plenty of people seem to get a chubby on over Lapua bullets, those that know choose SMK's

apart from becoming very hard to come by is anyone running the 140 berger hybrids, if so what are your findings and if not then any reasons why not??

apart from becoming very hard to come by is anyone running the 140 berger hybrids, if so what are your findings and if not then any reasons why not??

I am with 42.2 H4350 from a 26" barrel getting 2820 FPS and grouping .3 moa. I shot a 1.75 inch group at 500 yards at the RRC (dont think I've told anyone)

I've asked them to enter but I'm not sure they are going to turn up, so as far as I know my .260 is still unbeaten.

Do you remember that time I won the Nationals, inc the 1000yds and McQ?

Of course you do, you washed out on the castle

Well I was shooting my .260, which could possibly have been the first competitive .260 in the country, and I was the "official.....)

And if you also remember, Jennie won it the year previously with my rifle.

Well ammo used was 142 SMK's and 42gn N160.

So you can keep your short range stages and leave the real stuff to the big boys

muttley.gif

Yes I remember that you did do well then, are you still the National Champion?

I did wash out on the 300 Yard McQueens with my AIAW in .308, never figured out why.

Anyway, you are very welcome to build yourself another .260, suff some cases with N160 and 142 SMKs and have a go at beating me.

The 260 rem is quite a popular and competent stalking cartridge.Though any suitable construction 'expanding missile' properly placed at sensible ranges will be effective,there is unlikely to be any worse performance from the 140 class,especially on larger deer. Some of the experience based posts might be so informed.They will all of course penetrate paper,with the usual 'individual rifle/shooter' factors impinging on accuracy.

gbal

Yes I remember that you did do well then, are you still the National Champion?

I did wash out on the 300 Yard McQueens with my AIAW in .308, never figured out why.

Anyway, you are very welcome to build yourself another .260, suff some cases with N160 and 142 SMKs and have a go at beating me.

I may do that, but you still have the advantage of having the Hubble bolted on top :-)

139 scenar and 123 grainers (Lapua of SMK shoot about the same re accuracy and powder load)

45.5g of N560 for heavies and 42.0 of N550 for 123g.

My gun hates Amax but loves 129g SST for deer

140 Amax and 142 SMK work great in mine, 123gr SMK work fine too, would need to play with setting depth to tighten groups I think but as I have 140gr AMax I don't see the need for change tbh.

I use n140 34gr of it out of 24" Lothar barrel it's pushing 2490fps.

CZV

I've just started with the 260 and only tried 140gr Nosler Custom Competitions but like their 168gr .30 cal cousins I've found them to be extremely consistent and very reasonably priced (20p each).

Where are people getting these cheapo Noslers from?

Europe :)

Mainly from sellers on eGun.de

I bought 2000 of the 168gr .30 Custom Competition last year, cost me just over £270 shipped, they are slightly more expensive now but still a lot cheaper than any of the UK sellers I've found, I'm not naming names but one supplier told me they were a main agent for Nosler and couldn't import them for that price.

Archived