Nightforce reticle decision

Brad Y

Looking to buy a 2014 nightforce competition shortly and Im debating what reticle to choose. Ive always shot with a fine crosshair and dot and its served me well. My home range often has fickle fishtailing winds and rarely solid condition that you can wind a value on then hold a little either way. Most of the ranges I shoot at are similar but occasionally they will hold for a while. I was thinking the FCR1 reticle may be better to give me more feedback on what changes are actually worth through sighter shots, and also on dropped points I can think a bit more on the run (we shoot 10-15 shot strings here) in minutes instead of counting rings and getting confused like alot of shooters do.

Would like to know peoples thoughts.

Brad,I think the FCR1 is an excellent choice,but as JCS advises,if possible try first, Scopes remain somewhat subjective.

I have/use several NF BR scopes and reticules-I'd say the FCR1 is about the best I've seen,given your application (or just about any,short of very short range in the near dark!) I also like the Velocity 1000 y reticule,but then I do a fair bit of large target out to 1000 y shooting,and get fed up with dialling (but the Velocity has the edge on mildots for rapid good enough hold points,correcting for splash).

FCR1 definitely for precision targets.I do like the velocity type reticule for spotting splash,and easily adjusting aim point for non /precision use.(4 down,3 right-so go 4 up and 3 left-easy peasy.) FCR will do it,though less windage cover.

As Accurate Shooter review says,NF have listened to feedback,and done it.

Hope you like it.

gbal

I think the recticle is very subjective. I'm used to crosshair with dot that any other reticle make me confused . The FCR1 was a reticle required by USA F-Class Team but as far as I know ìt is NOT in production anymore . I've been told the distance between two Lines in the reticle is good if you use 40x and for all other ìt Is Not accurate . At the end ìt depends on what you are used to.

I think the recticle is very subjective. I'm used to crosshair with dot that any other reticle make me confused . The FCR1 was a reticle required by USA F-Class Team but as far as I know ìt is NOT in production anymore . I've been told the distance between two Lines in the reticle is good if you use 40x and for all other ìt Is Not accurate . At the end ìt depends on what you are used to.

Yes, the FCR1 is only 'true' at 40x. I much prefer an FFP optic where the reticles are true at all magnifications. Serious target shooters seem to much prefer SFP, but I've never quite understood why.

Archived