Roedale precsion

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu

lets keep things relevant to the thread title please.

Colin

Andy asked a question as to what extent did you yourself actually carry out work on the Custom Rifles you sell :D

I was myself interested in your reply as I myself in the near future may be considering a custom built rifle , as you know my trusted old faithfull Mannlicher Shoeunner is getting on a little bit especially with downing over 600 beasts and the additional rounds its had through it maintaing its zero, And as a few have stated its a bit like shooting a plank but its a plank thats served me well over the years.

But I have to be sure if i do decide to retire the old faithfull as to where i invest my sponnies I want to know if the guy I am placing my invested sponnies with is someone who knows what they are doing.

Now I have a very high standard which everyone is aware of and one that has been with me all my life during my apprenticeship and i was always told by my mentor never ask a man to do something in relation to your trade that you cant do yourself, now I know nothing about building rifles other than shooting them, and i consider i can do that reasonably well contrary to what you have said on other forums in regard to my capabilities the proof of that is in the pudding.

Now what i want to know are you yourself capable of carrying out all the works that is required yourself if i placed an order with you to build my requirements as in Pete Lincolns case as he does all the craftmanship himself.

Because if you cant or dont you you are not the man to build me a rifle, now if you can then maybe you will get an order here.

As regards Harry whatever Harry does for thats not his real name is nothing at all to do with me

he is responsible for his own actions, and i should quite clearly state here , I am quite aware of to what you are reffering but will abstain from passing any comment and i suggest likewise so should you

self.

Your latter remark in regard to judgement of character you may be right on that account thats why i am questioning your capabilities before I come to a conclusion :D

Regards

Sundance

Stu

i would stop doing what i am doing sooner than do a rifle for you,in fact i would sooner go on the dole.

you see I'm very picky who i do jobs for.

but that will not be a problem for you now will it.please feel feel free to send your/order to any other person,or better still send it Pete of roedale, he is better equipped to do the job.

As for you and harry.

well i tell you what,every other person on the net new what he was like,and how you could try to keep it a secret after what he said about one of the most respected people on the UK forums,and all so one of the nicest people,well that shows the kind of person you are, and i will not forget that you tried to cover it up,as that in my books makes you as bad.

stand by for the denial.

and i apologies to the person in question for bringing it up, but i feel people should be held accountable for there despicable behavior.

you may as always have the last word Stu,as nothing you say now counts for anything,

ATB

Colin :D

i will not post again on this Andy/admin

This topic was set up regarding experiences with Roedale rifles not a debate on the rifle building skills of anyone else.

From now on any post not relevant to the topic will be removed.

Thanks

Well said WSM. Gentlemen I posted this Topic Because I had a serious problem and wanted to see if anybody else has had a similar experience with this company not to listen to a bunch of guys bitching with each other . Stick to the topic, keep your grievances to you own PM's .

With regard to the Topic Roedale Have assured me in a PM that they are shipping the Rifle next week,Whether that happens or not we will wait and see .

I will keep you posted .

This post is about Reodale since I am one of the customer with current direct dealing and who has been stung.

Dear all

I have been sitting on the side line for 02 days reading this thread and the more I read the more I get the full picture of the guntrade in UK

As I read it now and please correct me if I am wrong

There is NO recognised training qualification scheme, course or degree when one wants to be a rifle smith.

So anybody who wants to be a riflesmith basically goes and buy (lease) a second hand BIG laythe and some other bits of impressive machinery and voila you shop is opened

There are a few (handfull) who did work for named gunmakers and these few would gone through a few years of so call apprenticeship training

There are a few affliated societies one can get attached to for endorsement purposes mainly in Europe

Once one have established a few customer database one's price (charges) will go up and so will the waiting list

OH DEAR

I wish I knew that 02 years ago when I got into rifle shooting

I enjoy my shooting sport very much but this realisation is too much for me to take

Basically who we call "gunsmiths" in the UK are experienced Machinist who has some form of stalking or hunting experience or who has worked or done contracted work for gunmakers AM I CORRECT?

Most (not ALL) components that they use comes from abroad hence theses machinist have no control over the delivery timescale and this situaion have been made worse post 9/11

Hence high prices long waiting list

Boy oh Boy oh Boy

I am generalising here but to a newby I really cannot believe this is the case

Somebody show do an article of this in Guntrader or similar publication

I have been stung big time by so call "gunsmiths" and I can see that if the above scenario is accurate it is only a matter of time / chance / (luck) before one is stung again

As I read it charges £2000 for a customised gun to £6500.

Excluding the components cost (real cost) the hour charge these people commands can match a Barrister or a Consultant surgeon..................with no qualification(s) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been invited to shoot bench rest in Canada and the east coast of USA and the quality of hardware and knowledge there on a different planet.

I thought may be these club are one offs but now I am now so sure.

This has been a painful and expensive lesson ..........................

As of this point this thread has commanded 1407 views and I think there are just under 4900 registered users on this forum so I can see the interested of the progress of this case. I promise I will update everybody of my progress and intention of this rifle.

hi LH or anyone for that matter

there are many many smiths in the UK that are more than capable of doing the job,so please don't be put off by anyone,yes you have had an unfavorable experience with one person, many many people have had bad experiences with one surgeon but we don't tar them all with the same brush.

yes its true that most of the component parts come from the USA,and I'm afraid that will be the case for the foreseeable future.but everything is still available to people like me with the right paperwork and a few of the smiths on here all so have there import papers.so all is not lost.

yes sometimes things are sent wrong,and its how you deal with it that counts,we are only human and we do all of use make mistakes.normally if the manufacture has made a mistake they will bend over back wards to help sort it out.after all its there rep thats on the line as well.having a good system in place helps find out the mistakes before they happen.but still they slip through,

the best way is to always deal direct with the manufacture,and not go through someone else,this only creates more problems and more room for misinformation.

some of the gunsmiths are booked up well in advance and try to have a years Worth of work in the machine shop at any given time.

and if the customers are made aware of this then there is no problem at all,but when you are not given any indication at all or in achievable dates then this is where we get problems.

we all so have people on here and in the UK that are all so ready to do the work in 1 or 2 weeks,this does not make them any worse a smith than any of the others that have 12 to 18 month waiting lists,its they just don't take on lodes of work in advance,basically they run there business different but produce the same product.

now pricing. they can charge whatever price they like, if you think that the extra cost is worth the extra £ for xxx to do your work then pay it,if you are happy to wait for Mr xxxx to do the job then send your rifle off and wait.will you get a better job done, well in your mind you will have and thats what we call peace of mind,and some time you can not put a price on that.

there are some very very good machinists/gunsmiths in this country,do not be so quick to discount them.

ATB

Colin :D

Ok guy's, here is my two penneths worth..

Why is it when either the subject of Rifle-smiths or Moderators come up it all turns into a slanging match????

We all left the playground many years ago and are all now in the real world, so name calling is for what??? What do you think new people to the sport will think, if all we do is slag each other because i do it this way & you do it that way?? Who care's, life is too short to worry about trivial things like that.

We are all aware of the situation with ROEDALE, and what has happened in the past cannot be changed, even with any-one's FAIRY DUST, so whatever has happened in the past should stay there, i hope PL can turn things around and prove people wrong, time will tell. He who live's by the sword die's by the sword.

To get a GOOD name in any trade take's a long time, word of mouth to but a few, but make one mistake and the WHOLE WORLD know's in a blink of an eye....

As for the work other people offer, who cares what qualifications they have as long as the CUSTOMER is happy with what they have paid for. If Col48 gets customer satisfaction without doing the work himself, so what, it's the CUSTOMER who is the most important person not the person selling the rifle.

How many GUNSHOPS farm out work to people for custom work or general work, more than people are willing to admit too.

As for anyone else offering custom rifles, and getting into a new venture, good luck to them as they have more balls than most, putting money where their mouth is and producing the goods.

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS WHAT MATTERS.

So please keep this on track, and i hope PL can answer the people who have put their TRUST IN HIM AND GIVEN THEIR HARD EARNED CASH TO GET WHAT THEY WANT, and if not then yes we have the right to know about it, and would like to know about the end result.

When the time come's for my custom project i know where i will be going and where i will avoid.........

Uhh...Wow. :D That's about all I can say...

I have to admit, there are many times I wish those of us in the US could do more to help with lining up parts and components for you guys over in the UK.

Interesting, don't you think? How, just by the virtue of your laws, you so easily can be turned against each other just because the stress and frustration that are exacerbated by them. A custom rifle is always a stressful experience, usually invovling a lot of $ and too much time waiting for it to arrive (even short timelines give one too much time to ponder things). That time all too often spent wondering if everything is going to be as you want it, contemplating the amount of money spent and hoping all will be as envisioned. Custom work (IMHO) is stressful on both parties involved and should best be approached with a great deal of patience (on both sides)...

I hope this all works out for everyone...

Wow... :D

Hmmmm , I ve kept a low profile in all this, in spite of my previous rantings.

I just hope the mythical Courier has 3 Shredded Wheats for his breakfast tomorrow, as it seems like he has a busy week ahead, and perhaps the light at the end of the Tunnel will prove not to be the oncoming Train.

"Fingers Crossed" Guys, as thats about the best we can hope for.

ATB

T260

Londonhunter

all points in your last post were quite salient.

Could I suggest you start a separate thread on the subject of your last post (in this thread), rather than it intertwine with the main subject of this thread?

Edited 19:21hrs

Ive now started a new thread in relation to Gunsmiths in the UK and USA, just so we keep to the main topic without deviation.

Hope thats OK, didnt have time to explain this morning had eggs to scramble :D

Supply and demand is the problem. When custom riflesmiths/precision engineers/time served journymen in the gun-trade etc. get a good reputation they, not suprisingly, get offered more work. They then have to either let the work stack up or try and find good employees, which is not the easiest thing to do as I found with my flytying business. Common courtesy demands that some of them be a little more honest than seems to be the case, in regard to timescales etc.

In the BDS raffle the prize is a Steve Bowers built (.308 boltface) rifle, it stipulates on the ticket that you will wait at least a year! If you want quality work, from a quality source be prepared for a long wait. Failing that try trading standards and a good lawyer :D

ft

This is a fantastic opportunity.

Oh what I would give to be in your position LH.

Had I the choice / funds, I would look towards the following people in the US and in no order of preferance:

Chris Mathews

George Gardner

Mike Bryant

Dave Tooley

Kirby Allen

There is a very good export service available in with Leroys Big Valley Gun Works at Glasgow, Montana - should you get the build you want. (dont know if they have been recommended already to you)

Good luck, but keep your eyes open ;)

Message for Pete from Roedale.

Peter Last week in your PM to me you stated that you would contact me with the Tracking Number for the courier company so I could track my rifle which you claimed you were shipping this week .As I have not recieved the Tracking No and its now wenesday , I can only presume that you HAVE NOT SHIPPED THE RIFLE AS YOU STATED YOU WOULD !!!!!!.

As a lot of other people are also interested in what is happening. Perhaps you would give us an update as to Where exactly my rifle currently is .

6.5x55

London Hunter / 6-5 x 55

My fear is that there is a sort of a Death Wish happening with Roedale.

For example, I called him this afternoon, the phone rang , no problem, and was then suddenly cut off. Draw your own conclusions, but my conclusion is that Roedale doesen't want to talk to his Customers for some reason. He has not picked up a text message sent to his mobile today either, it being easily recognisable that the text was from myself.

I am concerned that Roedale will go or is going 'belly uppards', and the net result is that nobody gets their rifle, or money from him. Is there some more simple explanation ? In the absence of reasonable and well mannered explanation, which is normal business practice,it is difficult to draw any other conclusion.

I have requested Tracking Information also for the shipment, and this has not been forthcoming, despite numerous promises since February this year.

I do not believe, and have no desire to be antagonistic towards Roedale, but simply wish to draw this sad affair to a conclusion.

It would appear that "The Mythical Courier" only had 2 Shredded Wheat for Monday morning breakfast !

ATB

T260

I know this, if I had been repeatedly lied to by a rifle builder who was sitting on a chunk of my money, I'd be on his doorstep whether or not that doorstep was in Germany and would not leave until said cash or the rifle was in my hands.

The things that baffles me is that if you by chance get hold of PL he can be the nicest guy in the world and giving you advice looking up data discussing projects and promising everything under the sun for a good price and short delivery date. Once you hang up nothing ever happens nothing at all. Its almost like Dr J and Hyde a compeltely diffferent person at the end of the line. I understand he was in the army - perhaps he has seen a lot of action in the past and have a payshological issue? can anybody enlighten things

If you see his web site there seems to be a lot of change but the way this is going what for?

London Hunter.

I totally agree with you he is a most helpful individual but thats no good if he can't/wont deliver. ,but If he thinks by burying his head in the sand that this is all going dissapear by the time he comes out again he is sadly mistaken.I just want the rifle that he told a mutual friend was ready and test fired 7 weeks ago. If the Rifle is not ready just say so and send me my money back ,end of story.

COME ON PETER AT LEAST ANSWER PEOPLE'S QUERYS . YOUR NOT HELPING YOUR OWN CASE

Londonhunter/6.5x55

Pete hasn`t been on the site from his original post on the 22nd so won`t have read the following four pages.He`s been offered the chance to reply openly what the score is but so far has not taken us up on the offer :lol:

Londonhunter/6.5x55

Pete hasn`t been on the site from his original post on the 22nd so won`t have read the following four pages.He`s been offered the chance to reply openly what the score is but so far has not taken us up on the offer <_<

Would you ? In his shoes I,d have my head down beavering away at that rifle with a case of Shredded Wheat by my side! Nor would I come up for air until I had the job done and delivered.

I don,t know what anyone else on this site does for a crust but if I treated my customers in this fashion I,d be gone long ago !

6.5X55 we shall wait with baited breath for next weeks thrilling instalment !

Archived