Roedale precsion

Early 06 I was stuck with a shot out Sako 308 which

would only group with a heavily fouled barrel.

After calling several companies the answers where either

come back in a year or very expensive. Pete sounded reasonable

on the phone and I sent the rifle over I think April 06.

After many discusions because I didn't know what I wanted, we decided

on the final rifle.

Very positive was Pete found a almost new S&B at a good price and

a second hand laminated stock. I was on a budget.

Rifle came back end September. I tried a few factory rounds and

settled on fed fusion that grouped under 10mm.

I'm happy.

Since then I've been over and visted Pete at his home and routed through

his workshop. Problem is Pete has a mountain of work before him, getting

his outfit set up. I know Pete has several problems to sort out, hope the new fella

(Thomas) will be of help.

edi

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on the final rifle.

I'm happy.

his outfit set up. I know Pete has several problems to sort out, hope the new fella

edi

Thanks for the post edi. It sounds like you have a good rifle there.

If Pete is really busy there must be many more people out there with good experiences to tell.

on the final rifle.

I'm happy.

edi

So it took from April to the end of September to re-barrel a rifle? I fail to see how anyone could be happy with that sort of so-called service.

Absolutely indefensible.

I can't say if my deal was good or bad, but we

will see when I need my next rifle done.

We will see who screams "I will do it, at that price

in that time and at that quality".

Don't forget two months are almost lost already with

getting the rifle in and out of Ireland.

edi

Also one must not forget it takes ten to twelve weeks for a barrel, even from Lothar Walther, from the US for a cut rifled job maybe longer.

I called Border the other day enquiring about a particular barrel (nothing special) hoping there would be one "on the shelf" to no avail - was told 9 - 12 weeks.

Lets face it as well, most people want a certain profile or twist and it would be impossible to have all options from all makers on the shelf.

So already we have a three month delay.

Actions, unless you find something brand new in this country, we turn again to the US, I bought two Surgeon actions four months ago, they were dispatched the same day to my exporter and only yesterday do I recieve notification they are waiting for customs clearance in the UK.

I ordered a rifle from Pete about 18 months ago, I was kept informed of progress by way of e-mail and told of a problem with my original choice of action (Hansen) so I changed to the Avenger - which was under development at that time maybe 8-12 months after ordering.

I know that the action length I ordered is unique (or was when I ordered it) and that magazine systems are not readilly available to fit my choice of cartridge OAL. I specifically ordered a reamer for a certain bullet seated so the base of the bullet sits at the base of the shoulder so I need longer than normal magazine internal OAL.

Well, one can fabricate a one off bottom metal and split two AI mags to make one (very expensive) or I can wait untill one of the US custom houses make a medium length WSM mag (which are just about ready for full scale production)

I chose to wait, as I want the rifle how I specced it.

If I wait a bit longer, so what, I have several other things that go bang to use in the meantime.

I could always make my own as well if the whim carries me.

I am sure the rifle will be just fine when it arrives.

For those who question Petes work, I can say I have taken apart two rifles (one is now my own) whilst conducting bits of "jobs" on them and cannot find anything to criticise - the machining is excellent, even on the bits you cant see ;)

There may be issues with customer service - with some people, I am fortunately not one of them.

Before I was lucky enough to get my own lathe, I asked 4 well known riflesmiths in the UK for quotes to make me a certain rifle build, I was told bettween 14 - 24 months time scale - I believe the wait is even longer now with some people.

Maybe its me or do people expect something that requires time, patience, skill etc to create to be there in a "ive paid for it, I want it now fashion"?

After all, your not buying a Mcdonalds are you :D

Money in advance, false promises, missed deadlines, poor suppliers, buying off EBay & endless excuses, makes a customer very nervous indeed.

difficulty in getting hold of people, bad signal strength for mobiles, family issues, personal issues, no staff, etc etc are all problems ALL businesses suffer, face and overcome each and every day so nothing new there.

As far as I can tell from what I've read here and on other sites, these instances are not one offs and I've not read anywhere that Roedale has been pressurised into providing false dawns?

You pays yer money you takes your chance fella's. Or if you want latin.... Caveat Emptor

My advice, pay by credit card and if it fails to turn up at the alloted time, claim a refund. If it doesn't work according to what was agreed also speak to the credit card company as most goods are insured for three months (if I remember correctly) after delivery and claim it all back that way.

Safe & Happy hunting; if you got a boom stick that is ;)

Pete

agreed, I have no qualifications as engineer or riflesmith for that matter. But I do come from an engineering background having worked in the industry for a few years (for a company who worked in the nuclear industry) I do know whats good and whats not - I can also use a dial caliper, micrometer and depth guage - the basic tools required for smithing.

If it counts for anything, the rifles I have built all shoot very well and the people who bought the componants that I "glued" together are extremely happy at the standard of work and timeliness.

I have Barnard model P sat in my cabinet that I bought from someone - PL had built it. I took the barrel off and re barrelled it with a different make / calibre to my spec.

I measured the threads, tenon and chamber of Peters work to see if my own measurements conformed to a' the manufacturers spec for the barrel tenon and b, the actual measurements of the reciever.

Both were spot on.

I have examined and shot a 6.5x284 that PL made, it shot in the .4's easily with most loads and was well put together.

I have used LW for a while (a short time admittedly) and their delivery time is up to 10 weeks (in my experience, alot of the time it can be shorter)

I know nothing of Vince's rifle.

Yup I do have another job, for how much longer who knows - it is of no concequence anyway.

The thread was started to ask about experiences, good or bad, I am stating my own.

I know you and many others have had poor experiences, for that there is no excuse, you should get what you have paid for and asked for.

I still await delivery for my rifle - nearly two years on, I havent been promised a delivery date (I havent asked for one), it will arrive when it arrives.

Like I say it isnt like buying a Mcdonalds is it!

Andy,

you know your self that action threads are non-standard and barrel tenons are machined to suit, so if done correctly the fit and corresponding dimensions will be very close.

In order to measure non-standard threads you will either have to have custom ring or calipre gauges made up or avail your self of a set of marlco gauges which will enable you to measure thread form on any diameter.

With all due respect my friend your idea of good machining may not be the same as someone elses, i too have seen some of Mr Lincolns machining and to say i was not impressed would be an understatement!!

Ian.

Ok Ian

point taken, you have far greater expertise in the engineering field than I will ever hope to have.

I posted my experiences of the rifles I have seen from PL workshop, so thats me out of it.

Ive been asked to keep the thread on track by the site owners and will do, please do not make this a personal attack on anyone guys.

Pete

I have no desire to protect anyone and am not protecting anyone, I have absolutely no affiliation with any european gunsmiths apart from one who builds class winning target rifles (that person resides in the UK and is a close friend of mine, but, I doubt you know of him), I have no qualms about saying what I think about any of the work I have seen from PL.

If it was bad, I would say it was bad.

As a matter of fact I do have a 3 wire thread method measuring set for most thread forms and also two thread micrometers for measuring internal and external thread forms.

It matters not what I think anyway, I dread to think what is going to happen the day one of the UK smiths turn out a bad job or are late for you - will they get the same exposure,,,,,,,,,,hmmm

Yes, I am proud of the work ive done, thanks, I may not be in the same league as anyone else, but at least I have a foot on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Lets not forget I too have a vested interest in this thread as I too have a rifle on order.

As an aside to this......I wonder if anyone could advise me where one could take a course in the UK to become a "qualified" gunsmith?

As an aside to this......I wonder if anyone could advise me where one could take a course in the UK to become a "qualified" gunsmith?

No such thing here buddy and there never has been, the only thing you could do would be to take an indentured apprenticeship with a riflemaker or gunsmith, this would at least give you papers saying you have done the training but with no recognised qualifications in "gunsmithing" such as NVG or City and Guilds, your indentures would be the only proof that you have undertaken training.

You could enroll in the German gunsmithing school in Suhl, afterall we are now in the EU or its off to the States for full time recognised training.

Ian.

PS, I reckon you would be a bit too old to be an apprentice ;)

:D

More like sorcerers aprentice eh Ian. ;)

More like sorcerers aprentice eh Ian.

Ronin

the truth of the matter is if you have not got FAIRY'S :o or if you live in Ireland PIXIES :o at the end of your garden to sprinkle there magic dust on your rifle,then you will never make a rifle smith. :D:):o:lol::lol:

it really is that simple ;)

ATB

Colin :D

Ronin

the truth of the matter is if you have not got FAIRY'S :o or if you live in Ireland PIXIES :o at the end of your garden to sprinkle there magic dust on your rifle,then you will never make a rifle smith. :D:):o:lol::lol:

it really is that simple ;)

ATB

Morning Col to you too

may I ask what part of the rifle building process you personaly do with your products? Do you do your own chambering, threading, bedding, stock inletting, coating, or do just "arrange" for these things to be done taking the money as a middle man?

If you wish to have a go at my work, feel free, but dont do so without any justification, evidence or substance.

Pete,

we will go around in circles forever with this thread, in fact every time Roedale is mentioned you grind your axe.

The thread was started by a disgruntled customer of Roedales, who asked if anyone had any experience good or bad of Roedale.

There have been negative posts (alot), there have been positive posts, you appear to jump on the positive and attempt to discredit the poster (me) by way of ridiculing the work I have done myself and my lack of training in the gunsmithing field.

I asked if there is any recognised qualification in gunsmithing in the UK, there is not, so where does this place every other person with RFD and tools (I steer away from using the words gunsmith or riflesmith as obviously there are no qualified ones in the country - by your own standards)

One of the most respected gunsmiths in the country used to be a full time stalker, another a photographer, another a farmer, another a teacher, I could go on ......

Just because I state MY experience of PL's work (his work not his customer service skills) and say I have found his work OK you come back with attacks at me.

Ive seen two rifles PL has done, they have both been fine. Two rifles out of possibly hundreds he's done does not make a very good sample of work, but it is all I can comment on - and have commented on.

There are those here who have said he has turned out poor work - fine, do you see any adverse comments afrom me about this ? - No you dont, because I try and remain detached from getting personaly involved in arguments on the web.

I also couldn't care less wether I have a rifle with PL or not, regarding commenting about his work, like I say, it will arrive when it arrives.

Can we now return to the main point of the thread or it will be closed.

Morning Col to you too

may I ask what part of the rifle building process you personaly do with your products? Do you do your own chambering, threading, bedding, stock inletting, coating, or do just "arrange" for these things to be done taking the money as a middle man?

If you wish to have a go at my work, feel free, but dont do so without any justification, evidence or substance.

are you on drugs, read the post again, where does it call you or your work, just because you are a mod on here does not give you the right to jump to conclusions a spout of crap at every opportunity.

now go back and tell me where i have slagged you off.

as for what i do, i tell you what i do it allot better than most, as there is not a Que of people slagging me off, so i will keep on doing what i do.

now go and learn to read you paranoid tit

ATB

Colin :wacko:

Well Said ANDY and not an untruthfull word in the statement

how do you know if the statement is true or not??? don't just put crap down for the sake of it.

I'm not doubting your word Andy,so no need to get on your high horse again. but Stu can not possibly know if what you have said is right or wrong.

ATB

Ronin

the truth of the matter is if you have not got FAIRY'S :o or if you live in Ireland PIXIES :o at the end of your garden to sprinkle there magic dust on your rifle,then you will never make a rifle smith. :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

it really is that simple :wacko:

ATB

Dearest Colin

I was referring to the above post in my reply.

No I am not on drugs (prescription or otherwise, my partner has cracking breasts - thanks ;) , I have no need to become my own) as I have no fairies or pixies at the end of my garden I guess I havent the necessary qualifications to become a smith.

Guest Sundance Kid
how do you know if the statement is true or not??? don't just put crap down for the sake of it.

I'm not doubting your word Andy,so no need to get on your high horse again. but Stu can not possibly know if what you have said is right or wrong.

ATB

Wrong again Colin as stated I know Andy Quite well and I also know some of the guys who Andy has done work for, so wrong again.

Colin would you care to answer Andys Question in regard to what work involves yourself in the build process as I am interested in the answer along with many others reading this thread its a straight forward question from Andy

Regards

Colin, Pete

sometimes it is a little difficult to tell when certain fellows are being amusing or doing a put down.

Riflesmithing isnt easy, but It certainly isnt the "black art" its made out to be, i'll stop reading my book of Majik by Mr Crowley now shall I ;)

My apologies to you both as I now see the funny side :wacko::lol::lol::lol:

BUT CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK TO THE THREAD :D:lol:

Colin, Pete

sometimes it is a little difficult to tell when certain fellows are being amusing or doing a put down.

Riflesmithing isnt easy, but It certainly isnt the "black art" its made out to be, i'll stop reading my book of Majik by Mr Crowley now shall I :o

My apologies to you both as I now see the funny side :wacko::lol::lol::lol:

BUT CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK TO THE THREAD :D:lol:

Andy

there is no need for an apology, as we all make mistakes, as stated to you in email, i can not call your work as i have not seen any of it.

keep you chin up and don't let the Bast--ds grind you down.

ATB

Colin ;)

Wrong again Colin as stated I know Andy Quite well and I also know some of the guys who Andy has done work for, so wrong again.

Stu the only thing wrong in my statement was your quote. I'm not bothered that you know someone QUITE well as this means you don't know him very well at all.and by your own admission are in no position to comment. :wacko::D

Colin would you care to answer Andys Question in regard to what work involves yourself in the build process as I am interested in the answer along with many others reading this thread its a straight forward question from Andy

Regards

Stu i don't have any complaints about what it is i do, so i have no reason to explain to you what it is i do. but one thing is for sure.

i must be good at it as even though i don't do any lathe work myself i still get the job done. and i don't have people complaining about myself. so when you find someone with a complaint please show them to me and i will address the problem, but please don't make a problem before it has arisen.

ITS ALWAYS A PLEASURE STU.

PS YOUR JUDGMENT OF PEOPLES CHARACTERS HAS TO BE QUESTIONED AS WAS NOT YOU AND HARRY CLOSE FRIENDS??? AND HE HAS DONE THE MOST DISGUSTING THING I HAVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE TO HEAR.AND SHOULD NEVER BE ALOUD ON ANY FORUM AGAIN.

WELL DONE STU YOU OUT DID YOURSELF. :lol:

Archived