Ze perfect foxing rifle

Offroad Gary

:lol:

Done the de-cocker 100% proof test (in my earlier post) yet? :P

:)

Nope, didnt fancy it. The way i read it you said bang about a made ready rifle and pull the trigger. Hardly sensible. Unless i'm not understanding made ready? I think the tension in the cocking lever would let you know if the thing was decocked, but what would i know.

Cheap wilson die for someone in sales section, one careful owner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can't feel the spring de-cock when removing the "safety" on a blaser you have nerve

Issues.

I won't put a firearm in my mouth but will put money on knowing if the firing pin has de-cocked in 100. Plus when you take into account the fail to fire rate that's only 90 times I will be tense :D

Plus BD the R93 doesn't have a removable mag al la Tac 2.

Hardly sensible - exactly. Has the penny dropped? This is the same rifle , made ready, that you previously said was safe once the safety catch was applied?

Mike, the uncocked blaser cannot fire. The fault in the trial happened when the blaser was cocked with dirt/debris in the trigger linkage, or when the fired blaser (still cocked, in a follow up shot situation) was cycled after a shot. I know nothing of the mag causing it to fire. I think matts comment about it not uncocking might be a misunderstanding.

I'm happy with my choice, and the way i hunt with it.

Im going to bed now, this thread should do the same.

Goodnight!

Gary, you miss my point. I'm not having a pop at you or your choice of rifle. Neither am I questioning the mechanical safety of a blazer rifle. I do question the notion that a rifle with a round in the chamber is 100% safe merely because the safety is applied.

Sleep tight!

Mike, the uncocked blaser cannot fire. The fault in the trial happened when the blaser was cocked with dirt/debris in the trigger linkage, or when the fired blaser (still cocked, in a follow up shot situation) was cycled after a shot. I know nothing of the mag causing it to fire. I think matts comment about it not uncocking might be a misunderstanding.

I'm happy with my choice, and the way i hunt with it.

Im going to bed now, this thread should do the same.

Goodnight!

The mag caused it to fire by, initially blocking the released 'sear/striker/firing pin/whatevertheycallitinablaser' and then allowing it to move once the mag was removed from its obstructing role.

The read-across that you seem blind to is that, like every mechanical device ever created, Blaser internals are not infallible.

If 'made ready' is an unfamiliar term; get the rifle completely ready to fire, then use the decocker. Do all the bump tests and rough handling to this supposedly uncocked and 100% 'safe; rifle that still has a live round up the spout; and then to demonstrate this 100% decocker safety, take the rifle and press the trigger with the rifle pointed at your head.

After all, 100% is 100% n'est ce pas?

At 100% it wouldn't be silly would it?

- or maybe it would feel like a silly thing to do. (Not quite so 100% safe when it's deliberately pointed at your head I suspect!)

Alternatively, one could take the view that what goes on inside the Blaser bolt assembly is a bit of a mystery, as per the equipment failure accidental discharges I've related from the MOD trial (note: in those instances, the were 'accidental' not 'negligent' because the discharges arose from equipment failure) and step back a little. :)

Matt, i've done your test. The Blaser passed. Your turn now, pick a rifle, any rifle!

No you haven't and you're still missing the point :rolleyes: : Ammo up spout = weapon that can kill = danger.

Moving with a Blaser with a round chambered and calling it '100% safe' is utter muppetry, but you're not listening. :)

The only weapon that is 100% safe has an empty chamber.

I would not trust any weapon to do the "test" unless was playing russian roulette or had a desire to leave this mortal coil.

No you haven't and you're still missing the point :rolleyes: : Ammo up spout = weapon that can kill = danger.

Moving with a Blaser with a round chambered and calling it '100% safe' is utter muppetry, but you're not listening. :)

Oh i see!

If i drop the 100% safe and insert "safer than any other loaded rifle" is that better?

The "100% safe" thing is a mistake. Carrying a gun around and shooting stuff with it carries an inherent danger which cannot be entirely removed. The only way to be 100% safe is to not take any live ammo out with you, this has the obvious drawback that you won't shoot much!

What you are aiming for is not 100% safety but "as safe as reasonably practicable" (in risk speak, ALARP).

I know nothing about Blasers, but I do know that risk calculations are all shades of grey, there is no 100%.

This fella was in my garden at 12.30 today, had one of the hens, put the highseat up tonight, cranked up the foxpro, spotted with the archer and within 10 mins......boom!

67E65A29-7B72-4D76-BF1C-2D1A225C53B4_zps

Perfick!

The not so perfect deer rifle!

It always anazes me how these animals can survive with such injuries (the leg), didnt see it before the shot but she was moving more slowly than a normal muntjac. All relavent lymph nodes checked 100% normal.

2C63A765-E061-493F-8A48-77A55D0EC154_zps

Don't care what mechanism, but once there is a round in the chamber the rifle is loaded and can fire. I'll never rely on any safety mechanism, and if I do use one I still consider the rifle "live" and muzzle awareness is paramount.

Most of my rifles have box magazines as I like my army training "rifle made safe" with empty chamber, mechanism dry fired off, rounds in mag. I only load a round in the chamber if I'm just about to shoot and if that means losing a fox then so what (i'll get him another time). Sometimes on the final stalk, as in Roe, or the final belly scrawl on the Hill I'll go live. Sure safety on but thats not the safety, its how you handle your rifle and keep it pointing safe. One of my rifles the safety is a pain so either its "made safe" or its "live".

For truck shooting then for fox its "made safe" until the shot, but for rabbit its safety catch and control of the rifle and then made safe between fields. I woulld never have a cartridge in the chamber when a rifle is in the cab, just asking for one in the head.

I'm meticulous about looking at the empty chamber which usually takes two looks, and at night a torch. In my book all rifles are loaded at all times even when they aren't, like when taking one out of the gun cabinet which even when you had put it away and no one else has been there. Anal, you bet.

I don't own a Blaser but still might as its size and system are very appealing. For running wild boar its what I want. Then at the stand, at the ready, it is expected to be round in the chamber safety on, just like double rifles; but the important bit is "in the ready" controlling the gun. Coffee break, or scratching your nuts then its unload time and not "its OK , its on safe"... as thats just for lazy dangerous idiots.

Funnily, I'm not keen on "bolts to the rear, or taken out, because that shows a lack of confidence. I am a fan of full unload, dry fired off and rifle put away in a slip/drag bag. No gun should point at anyone.

I just don't want to shoot with people who are cavalier with safety.

Archived