A question about scope mounting

gazzar15

I was up at Warcop on Saturday and enjoyed a great day as usual but discovered something with my 308 set up with which I was less than happy !

The issue is this at around 600 yds I had run out of windage adjustment on my Meopta 6-24 ZD a great scope which has approx 12moa adjustment left and right 24 moa total.

I had to resort to the reticle to achieve hits but looking at the sort of problem I have would lead me to believe that my rail maybe out of true to the tune of about .5mm in it's length... I arrived at this figure by calculating the run out and effect at the distance and the figures were close enough to be beyond coincidence.My rifle is a HS Precision HTR the rail I am not certain about make but it looks in line to the eye. I am using Badger Ordnance mounts.

I have owned the rifle for about 3 years but for most of that time it was shod with a NXS which was on the same rail but has a shedful more windage adjustment.

I want to use this scope on the rifle but at ranges closer to 1000 yds than 600 !

Should I just get some adjustable mounts ? Or is there something else I can do .

What adjustable mounts would you recommend ?

Thanks Chaps

I was tangling with my Burris Signature rings with off-set inserts yesterday. These might be worth a look at? A rail with 20 MOA elevation might also be an option? I too would be keen to hear on the best mounting options to get the maximum adjustment out of my scopes?

Regards

JCS

Well if it was me I'd do the following

assuming you have your zero recorded, then wind your scope both ways counting revolutions/clicks if you're not somewhere close to being equal then it's likely to be out of alignment,

Alan

Well if it was me I'd do the following

assuming you have your zero recorded, then wind your scope both ways counting revolutions/clicks if you're not somewhere close to being equal then it's likely to be out of alignment,

Alan

Alan

Fine, and then what?

Regards

JCS

Could be your mounts that Are out of line . Have you thought of swaping them around Nd / or reversing them and without adjusting your sight compare your point of impact or your point of aim if you have laser bore sighter to see if your mounts are off . Then if rail is not integral with the action or not bedded serif that can move . After that then if all is still the same I'd look at spending money . Not a cheapskate but see what u got first . Just Mho though

Thanks for the info chaps ,Dave the holes are equidistant on both front and rear mounts. I am going to try reversing the mounts just to eliminate that as a variable then try a different rail. As much as I like the scope I think 12moa left and right could be a bit stingy. Probably why I never noticed anything amiss with the NXS I had on it originally

I would suggest swapping front to back second as I believe reversing them would have greater effect if my maths is right but I'm not sure now bit too late for my little mind . I'm sure others on here would be able to correct if I'm wrong . Apols if I am .

Thinking out loud...I am a lefty ..there I have said it !

I as a matter of course always put the mounting bolts of the rings on the right hand side. In other words perhaps the opposite of where they should be ???

Spanners out tonight methinks and collimate the scope before and after

As a lefti myself , I think the bolts are perfectly sited in the correct place !

. It's all the coggy handed rights that have it wrong me thinks .

At the same time , the rail and the mounts should be true to the bore either way really I would assume

Update. I have two pairs of Burris Signature Rings, so I labelled the four top sections 1 - 4 and the four bottoms 1 - 4. I took the scope off and took the rail off. Although the rail is 0 MOA, it can only fit one way round. I secured the rail again. I then took the rear ring off completely and tried a different bottom. This time once I applied a 10 thou offset insert correctly, I have 20 MOA left adjustment and 20 MOA right adjustment. Good enough now for country work. Now I just need to check eye relief, level the scope, tighten it all up again and go shoot it.

Perhaps I have mixed up the two sets of rings in the various scope shuffles that I have performed. My thought for the future would be to have more than one set of the same rings available so that all the options can be explored.

Regards

JCS

• 2 months later...

With only 12 MOA adjustment each way on the windage, the scope may be of questionable suitability for 1000 yard + use with .308... With a reasonable 10-15 mph wind you will be between 12 and 14 MOA of wind on depending on your load. Even if you just make it, you will be at the very edge of the optical tube.

Have you another rifle you can use to give this scope a short range life?

Archived