calling all 204 users

Due to a change in circumstances I am going to sell my 308 and buy a 204 (howa) for varmiting/ lamping. Now I dont know much about this calibre but Ive heard its an effective varmting round. Now what have you found out to be the most effective bullet weight/ powder combo in your rifle? How is it in the wind? And does the calibre lend itself to cleaning every 20 or so rounds? I realise that all rifles are different but a general discription so I can bulid a picture would be appreciated!

If you do a serch for some of my old posts youll see pics of just how effcetive a varmint round it is foxes and all. All the bad mounting you have heard about this calibre isnt true.

Cleaning: I have found that my rifle still shoots very tight groups upto 40 shots, I havent pushed it any further.

Wind myth:In the wind it is pretty good I took 2 rabbits at 320 yards in a 10 mph cross wind, I dialled in 4 inches for wind and 6 inches elavation, I hit them a bit far back but spot on for elavation if I was doing it again I think I would put in 6 inches for windage but i still think that is very good at 300 yards.

Loads: I would strongly reccomend reloader 10X, I was told this is the best powder and its all I have tried but it has worked with everything very well, also youre rifle will likely prefer the lighter heads i.e 32g v-max, 35 g bergers, 39g blitz kings, my rifle hates the 40g v-max and most peoples seem to. You can get about 3850 fps from the 39g blitz king with 25.8 g of 10x I have backed off a little from this though as accuracy wasnt as good and i currently running about 3750fps.

try this site for some more info

.204 info

Archived