Ruger 10/22 Reliability Mods

.300wm

Hi,

Was wondering if someone would be able to give me a list of parts and advice as to which parts are recommended to make my 10/22 more reliable. I have seen that SYSS have quite a few fancy bits but don't want to buy things I dont need.

Cheers

If you rang and spoke with Roger at SYSS he would sell you things in the order that he felt was most needed and would make the biggest difference. He really does know everything about the 10/22 and is a real nice guy to deal with. I don't feel he is they type to try and sell you more than you need or can afford at the time.

My dealings with him have always been good, Im not his friend or anything like that, just a satisfied customer.

probably the biggest cause of the 10-22 function problems is the main spring guide.

One of the simplest reliability modifications to carry out is to polish this guide or purchase a replacement complete with cocking handle and spring.

To DIY you need to grind down the swaged crimp on the end of the rod, remove the spring and cocking handle then polish the guide with progressively finer emery cloth.

After reassembly the crimp needs to be re-swaged using a flattened cold chisel.

Another reliability mod you can carry out yourself is radiusing and polishing the rear underside of the bolt and the fitting of a shock buffer.

These two mods will vastly improve functioning and should be carried out before or in conjunction with aftermarkey trigger spring kits etc....

Ian.

Keep the magazines clean. Keep the rifle action clean. Polish to your hearts content but ignore these and the gun grinds to a stop.~Muir

I have to agree. I've owned one for around 6 months, and if it isn't kept clean it becomes a real PITA. Also runs best with minimal lube. And if you're still having trouble with it cycling subs, you can trim a few coils off the recoil spring.

Brilliant thanks guys, I shall get polishing. Big AL, thanks for the advice, I have never spoken with them, only had a look on their website and was rather overwhelmed by the sheer amount of bits and mods available. I might give them a call and order a spring and rod. I see they do one that comes with a cocking handle etc.

Cheers

I have to agree. I've owned one for around 6 months, and if it isn't kept clean it becomes a real PITA. Also runs best with minimal lube. And if you're still having trouble with it cycling subs, you can trim a few coils off the recoil spring.

I have to caution about the recoil sprlng (bolt return) bobbing. That might help to an small extent but it's the mainspring and the bolt riding over the hammer that are the major impediment to clean cycling. The recoil spring just returns the bolt into battery. ~Andrew

I,ve seen more 10/22,s absolutely ruined by chamfering, polishing etc etc when the owners don't know what they are doing.

Talk to an expert, give Roger a ring.

I take it that taking too much of the recoil spring could lead to problems chambering a round? I've seen this with CCI ammo but not with my prefered Eley subs. The reason I trimmed the spring back a bit was that I was having problems with stovepipe jams, any thoughts?

The recoil spring is the bolt return spring. You may have partially solved the problem but not in the proper way... like substituting the spring from a ball point pen in a trigger assembly and calling it a trigger job. A lightweight hammer and accompanying spring with a bolt buffer would help more.

I agree with Baldie: Chamfering, clipping springs and polishing can be problematic.~Andrew

Hi guys, so i've owned the rifle for about 4 years and it works fine 99% of the time with CCI subsonics, I cannot however get them and have got some winchester subs and it has turned into a jam-o-matic.

I shall give roger a ring when I get a minute and report back.

Thanks for your help guys

Did you try a few makes of alternate,available subsonic ammo-might function and be more accurate?

They do vary,obviously-Eley I think have just changed theirs (again)"Contact" 42g subsonic semi auto.

gbal

sell it and find a sako finnfire (s/h) problems solved.............

I ran a 10-22 for years but once it started to be unreliable (many 1000's of rounds) I got rid.

Have tried a few different Eleys, might try some CCI Minimags as I know I can readily get those but I dont think they're subsonic.

Tackb did yours gradually get worse over time or was it sudden? I am thinking it might be worth getting something like a finnfire or M&P 15-22 rather than doing up the Ruger.

Cheers

The problem is not the rifle, but the cartridge. Winchesters have a different shaped bullet and it does not feed well in a semi auto.

Try some lapua subsonic, or rws, both are good and feed well in a 10/22.

Mini mag are not subsonic.

Thanks Dave-exactly my point-it's the cartridge usually,though I suppose sub sonics can vary just enough to function differently in any particular semi auto. Bolt action is one kind of solution,but conversion to semi is I suspect,challenging!

Somehow it didn't quite read as if sub sonic was essential-as conformed.So I didn't mention RWS or Lapua,and risk 'expensive',but thought it worth mentioning the new Eley contacts,but it's still not clear if they have been tried.

No doubt it will all end happily.

g

Absolutely! Gucci is good.I have put up with intermittent 10/22 hiccups with mainly eley sub sonic for decades-eley because it has been the most accurate-but when you have a brick of it to get through....if you find any joy with the new stuff,report back. I like to support Eley-just sentiment-RWS is good stuff! Usually any mods are fairly easy/economical,and Roger is the man.I just hate it when you get set up on ammo x,and they change the specs-'Improved",,but really,a few springs here and there should not be a big deal.if you get reliable advice on which spring a man's fancy should turn to.

gbal

The recoil spring is the bolt return spring. You may have partially solved the problem but not in the proper way... like substituting the spring from a ball point pen in a trigger assembly and calling it a trigger job. A lightweight hammer and accompanying spring with a bolt buffer would help more.

I agree with Baldie: Chamfering, clipping springs and polishing can be problematic.~Andrew

Thanks. Just got a new Power Custom extractor and bolt handle/spring assembly to try out. The gun is cycling well with Eley subsonic hollow point, but I want to see if I can get to a point where it will cycle both subs and mini mags.

.300wm, if you can get them, give RWS subs a try, they cycled pretty reliably through mine and accuracy wasn't far behind that of Eley.

Thanks. Just got a new Power Custom extractor and bolt handle/spring assembly to try out. The gun is cycling well with Eley subsonic hollow point, but I want to see if I can get to a point where it will cycle both subs and mini mags.

.300wm, if you can get them, give RWS subs a try, they cycled pretty reliably through mine and accuracy wasn't far behind that of Eley.

I have several older 10/22's that function just fine with subs of all varieties with no modifications. My one full blown tinker-toy 10/22 has a reworked Volquartzen trigger assembly but is otherwise stock. I shoot Standard Velocity and Sub-Sonic loads in it almost exclusively. Never a jam that couldn't be attributed to a dirty gun or dirty magazine.~Andrew

I have several older 10/22's that function just fine with subs of all varieties with no modifications. My one full blown tinker-toy 10/22 has a reworked Volquartzen trigger assembly but is otherwise stock. I shoot Standard Velocity and Sub-Sonic loads in it almost exclusively. Never a jam that couldn't be attributed to a dirty gun or dirty magazine.~Andrew

Yep, lesson learnt. I think maybe that I shouldn't believe everything I see on youtube. :blush:

Fitted the new extractor and bolt handle with a heavier than standard spring, and it's cycling subs without any problems, so I'm thinking that the extractor may have been the main culprit for the stovepipe jams. Tried a couple of magazine fulls of CCI mini mag, and they cycled well enough but at times they can get hung up in the magazine, even if it's been cleaned. Starting to wonder is the mag ready for replacing.

Archived