Ackley Improved cartridges?

ajw

I know nothing about them. So what are the advantages and dissadvantages of the Ackley Improved cartridges. I have a 220 swift that needs rebarreling, and as I home load anyway would it be better to go for the 220AI over the standard 220?

Many thanks, Andy

I had an RPA Interceptor .243 AI. It was fitted with a walther Lothair barrel.

Despite my best efforts, it never performed better than my Sako 75 in bog standard .243 win.

Either i had a bad RPA or i have an extremely good Sako.. I prefer to believe the latter... ;)

I've owned several Ackley Imp rifles, built others for folks, and still have a 30-06 IMP. I have yet to see increased performance without corresponding pressure hikes. I lost my fascination with "Improved" years ago and only keep the '06 IMP because I like the rifle it's chambered in. In fact, the gun was sold to me as a standard 30-06 and I found it was "Improved" after the first shot.... otherwise I'd have probably left it on the rack. ~Andrew

Well there we are. I was expecting alot of great reviews, but there seems to be little gain from them then. I know that the swift hasnt got a long barrel life anyway, but what would it realistically be for the 220AI???

Andy

I was once told this by a barrel maker of repute..... " The smaller the caliber, the bigger the case and the faster the bullet, the faster the throat will burn.. " Stainless quicker than carbon steel apparently.

Think that answers your question ajw... I understand a 22 - 250 using hot loads starts to deteriorate around 1000 rounds ?

Comment chaps??

Archived