which sub £1000 scope for my 308?

527vamint

After a better and higher mag scope for the 308 as in higher than 20x may be upto 55x.new or used. I have in mind nightforce, sightron, vortex or another leupold as I have them on my other rifles,also don't know much about the modles. I'm currently doing 100m- 300m but doing my best to sort it out for some longer range stuff as in 600m and may be 800-1000m. Any advice would be great.

Cheers Andy

I have had a quick look at aimfields website,they seem to be ideal. I'm going to Stoneleigh shooting show if not working,in the hope to have a look through some scopes. I needed be seeing 308 holes in the black at 300m atleast. We have bad pointers. Would I not benefit from a bit more mag or would I be loosing sharpness and clarity in my price bracket. I was thing of getting a second hand nightforce competition x 55 mag if I could find one.

Cheers again Andy.

I have a sightron 8-32-x56 power on my FTR rifle and I have spotted for other shooters and noted there shots 308 at 600yrds

That's what I am after then. Looked on the Web and thier should be some sightrons at the shooting show I can have a look through.

Thanks Andy

527varmint - Yes, John Dean of Aimfield Sports (UK Sightron importer) will be at the Shooting Show.

You will have no problem seeing 308 holes at 300 yds with an 8-32 Sightron - I can just about make out 6mm holes on a white target at 600 yards with mine.

Just thought i'd add another vote for Sightron! :)

OK guys thanks for all the input,i am going to the shooting show now with the intention of buying a sightron 111 8-32-56 lrmoa scope. I have a 20 moa rail fitted to the howa,so should have plenty to go at. What mounts do you recommend,I would prefer bottom and top halves not the Warne or nikko vertical split ones,don't forget I'm tight and very careful with my money.

I partnered John (Aim Field) Dean in an 800 yard F-Class match at Diggle on Sunday in the first morning relay. We use 'negative' form targets in the discipline there - that is black scoring rings on white paper. John 'called' around three-quarters of my shots for score and position before the target was pulled. Conditions were overcast but clear - not bad to be able to see 7mm dia. bullet holes at 800 yards even if it's on white paper!

Sightron S3 of course - I didn't ask if it was the 32 or 50X model and what mag setting he was using.

Archived