which sub £1000 scope for my 308?

527vamint

Used 12-42x56 nightforce br scopes go for about the same sort of money as a new sightron

Yes .... and if you can find a s/h Sightron (and get your offer in really quick), it's cheaper than a s/h NF!

I like the NF BR series, but .....

heavy (~3/4 to 1lb more than a Series III and well over a pound heavier than March scopes). This is often a severely limiting factor depending on the discipline as well as more weight to lug around on a foxing rig.

objective lens parallax setting - difficult to reach and fine-tune on a prone rested or bi-pod supported rig. A real pain if the light / mirage conditions change mid match and you need to fine-tune the parallax.

small range per turn of the adjuster drum. Having got used to 15-MOA for both E and W on Sightrons, I find 6-MOA per turn a real nuisance. Easy to be a turn out - I've seen that I don't know how many times with Nightforce and Leupold users. 1/8-MOA clicks is great for short-range IMO, but a pain in l-r shooting.

Against that, their glass is good and there are those who still see the NF BR as the benchmark in optical quality. They're robust, so there are still a number in use by top national F-Open or BR 'Heavy Gun' shooters where the weight isn't an issue.

OK guys thanks for all the input,i am going to the shooting show now with the intention of buying a sightron 111 8-32-56 lrmoa scope. I have a 20 moa rail fitted to the howa,so should have plenty to go at. What mounts do you recommend,I would prefer bottom and top halves not the Warne or nikko vertical split ones,don't forget I'm tight and very careful with my money.

I,m all TET now,,, very neat in appearance,,,no ugly nut sticking out the side like some other equally good mouints,,,,,,O

Another vote for the sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA.

Rings:

I've just bought one and will probably try the Burris Signature Zee rings, as they are supposed to have self aligning inserts.Around £72 for high, 30mm set. I will also look at the show for some. Any deals anyone please post here :) I think these will help prevent stresses and ring marks on the scope body. No lapping required. Although I don't know anyone who has experience on a 308 and long range targets to give some feedback. Feel free to comment anyone ;)

I believe you could also swap the ring inserts around to give 10/20 MOA adjustment, although I will leave mine at standard zero MOA as i will likely move the scope between rifles. As the other rifle is for shorter distances and no MOA taper required.

As a note when moving scope and these rings between rifles: It look like you will need to slacken off the ring /tube cap screws to allow the rings to 'float' when clamping to the rail. Then retighten one rail clamps are tightened. This will compensate for small differences of parallel in rail alignment, particularly when using 2 piece Weaver/Picattiny rails for example. I suppose one piece machined rails would be best to ensure the best parallel between front / rear rings.

Hope this helps.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Glass might not be as good as +£1000 scopes but it's not far off and it's excellent value for money. Illuminated MRAD reticle/turrets and FFP so no messing about with conversions at different magnifications. I've just got the 4-16 version for my rabbiting rifle and I'm very happy with it.

Plus you'll have plenty of change to spend on ammo!

I've been looking at the 10-50x60 Slll, but the general consensus on here seems to be for the 8-32 model.

I was wondering is there anything wrong with the higher mag version?

I have both, there is more elevation on the 8-32, IIRC 75moa instead of 50moa on the 10-50. I find that if you have much over 40 x mag it gets very fiddly to get the parallax/focus set so I tend to run at about 35 which is good enough to pick your spot on a 0.5moa F Class V-bull. Both of mine are the target dot and if I was buying another I'd go for the MOA reticle for easier wind calls etc.

Alan

I have both, there is more elevation on the 8-32, IIRC 75moa instead of 50moa on the 10-50. I find that if you have much over 40 x mag it gets very fiddly to get the parallax/focus set so I tend to run at about 35 which is good enough to pick your spot on a 0.5moa F Class V-bull. Both of mine are the target dot and if I was buying another I'd go for the MOA reticle for easier wind calls etc.

Alan

I think the new sv Sightron 10-50x60 has 75 moa adjustment but I could be wrong. It costs a lot more than £1000 though. Vortex Viper PST is my choice.

I've been looking at the 10-50x60 Slll, but the general consensus on here seems to be for the 8-32 model.

I was wondering is there anything wrong with the higher mag version?

Alan(20 series) has commented on the scope issues.

One generic limitation-though it varies a bit,quality glass dependent- is the weather.Either mist,or heat(warmth!) mirage may make higher magnification unuseable. 40x+ scopes may have to be wound down to 30 ish,even less.

One reason why the ever popular-rightly so-NF scopes-12-42 are about optimum on mag/reticule etc(or 8-32,if you give up the treat of higher x on some occasions.)

Factor together some optical compromises,quite limited opportunities to use,and higher cost (let alone 'personal preference') and the higher mags are not 'must have' for everyone.

Ditto field use-shots will/should seldom be so long that the highest mags are really advantageous-30x or better yet,optional 40x variable is 'enough' for most shots,helpful for extremes- more than some prefer (not me-stalking excepted).

gbal

• 4 months later...

Archived