22.250/243

snow white

One way to think about this,if you consider 1500 rounds a bit mean is this:

How long does a barrel last in terms of time it's being used?

Let's take a 24" barrel with a cartridge giving MV around 3000 fps.

You might work out that the bullet takes 1/1500 second to exit the barrel,but the acceleration form zero to 3000 isn't constant,and a bullet actually takes something like .002 seconds to clear the muzzle when fired.

So 3000 accurate rounds x.002 seconds,give a bullet in barrel life of 6 (six) seconds !!

A long lived 5000 round 308 will give ten seconds

and a 6.5x284 with 1500 gives but three seconds.

Your barrel has actually a short working life,if a hard one.

Total costs are not changed,of course,but the hourly rate is impressive.

Does that make the round counts seem more reasonable? :-)

gbal

Hi Snow White, I had a Blaser LRS2 in 22-250, it was a special order barrel as they didn't make one in that calibre when I bought the rifle around 8-9 years or so ago, it was the most accurate gun I've had bar none as some guys on here will attest to, I sold it around 2 years ago with at least 4500-5000 rounds (factory Winchester 50g Silver Ballistic Tips) and the gent who owns it now, still the same barrel, has said he would part with his wife before the rifle.

The rifle had only factory rounds through it, nearly all coated bullets as well, so that maybe another reason it was, and still is hopefully ok. Im told the Blaser barrel/action is relatively hard so that could be a reason that they last so long, it stil shot screamers when I sold it, as a couple of guys on here will attest to as they shot it and regarded it the most boring rifle they had ever shot.

One thing to remember I suppose, and I'm not preaching, is the fact that the 22-250 is a little less versatile when it comes to the quarry it can be used upon, the .243 does have a little more recoil, but will allow more quarry/species to be taken, although it is obviously marginal on big reds.

On a slightly different note, my DTA with a Lothar Walther barrel in 6.5x47 now has 3000 plus mostly hot rounds through it and still shoots amazing, ant that is also supposed to be a very hard barrel/chamber, or so the smith who cut my barrel told me, so if you choose a relatively hard barrel manufacturer, you should be ok for some time.

Best Regards,

Mark

JB,I'm so sorry-unintended consequences.

Perhaps you could offer to give her anything that would provide just six seconds of potential pleasure every couple of years?

But it needs more thinking through before committing...... :-)

g

Archived