Advice on next rifle... .300 vs .260 vs something else

Mac.308

Hi all.

Help required... My current thoughts / situation...

Facts...

Sold Remmington 700 .308

Have AI AT308, love it, still getting to know it.

Shoot at a club mostly, a little on my Bro's farm.

Shoot a few times a year at WSM heading to 1100m +

AT308 struggles beyond 1100m currently - still trying different rounds, plus weather in Wales doesn't help.

Thoughts...

Buy a rifle that will perform beyond 1100m.

Can't buy a .338 as not enough places to fire it when not at WSM = can't justify cost for use twice a year.

.300 Win Mag - happy compromise between 308 and 338... Can fire it on more ranges plus ammo cheaper

.260- recommended but can't find much info on it... What I have found says it's not much better than .308.

Options...

Stick with 308, sort rounds out.

.300 will be a nice compromise still allowing me to "play" at 1200m +

.260... Dunno why - rifle looks nice I suppose.

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPP ?

Thanks all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably heading in a similar direction myself. The beauty of the AT is that you don't have to buy another rifle. Just get your 'smith to spin up another barrel. As long as it is a short action calibre and will feed from the magazine, you can save yourself a pile of money.

Here are a few ideas:

- 260 Remington

- 6.5x47

- 6.5 Creedmoor

- 6XC

And for something a bit more exotic, both wildcats based on the .243:

- 6SLR

- 6mm Competition Match

But your AT has a removable barrel. It's designed to be able to swap barrels with minimal zero shift!

You can buy a new barrel for the AT in a long range calibre for ~£600. Or you could buy a completely new rifle in a long range calibre for £2-3000. Well, it's your money!

Hmmm, see what your saying but I'm not sure.

Certainly won't go to .300 and nowhere local to me stocks .260 which is a bad sign I think.

Just had a look and can't find another barrels for an AT... Not sure it's multi calibre. You usually need extra bolts, mag adapters etc. don't think its an option.

Yes it is. Take a look at the Accuracy International website. Or read baldies review of the AX on here. Same action design!

As long as you choose a short action calibre with a .308 case head, there are loads of choices as detailed in my post above.

Can't find anywhere that gives options for the calibre changes on the AT.

Read through my owners manual, looked at their website etc.

Just text my mate ref it... Odd that it's not mentioned.

Don't think so mate.

The AX is not multi calibre... Where as the AXMC is.

One of the blokes half was down he page comments on swapping his AX in for an AXMC.

No where are bolts, different calibre barrels etc offered for the AT.

The AT is advertise in only .308 as well.

This is a link on how to change the barrel http://m.youtube.com/results?q=AI%20AT%20barrel%20change&sm=3

have a look on sporting services and download their catalogue options for the AT, you will find what cal is available as spare barrels, or ultimately call sporting services.

Do you have one mate?

Yep, completely agree guys. You can take the barrel off quickly. Not arguing at all with that.

But

I can't find anything, anywhere, that says or offers the bits / barrels to change calibre... It seems to be marketed as a .308 only...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0358/7913/files/SS_AI_Price_list_2014_Retail_Rifles_-_September.pdf?508

Lol, anyway, assuming you can't change the barrel out... My original question stands...

.300? .260? Get to grips with different .308 ammo?

?

Thanks guys

Fact

The AT and the AXMC are switch barrel designs. All you need is a new barrel in another calibre. (the AT requires the same bolt face ie .22-250,.243.260.7-08) The AXMC if purchased as a magnum calibre you can get new bolts/mag inserts etc to use any calibre you want!

So yes your AT can become a .260.

Not sure where you have been looking as the .260 is far far far superior to the .308 and I have shot my .260 out to 1500yds..... plus anyone who actually knows shooting rather than thinks they know will say the same thing. Check places like accurate shooter, sniper hide where pretty everyone will say the same thing. .260 rules .308 old hat and can not compete with the .260 etc.

Sporting services do provide barrels for the AT, AX etc in .22-250, .243, .6.5x47, .260, 7-08 plus many more. they will do any barrel length you like at a premium.

Forgot to add if you run the ballistics on a .260 and .300 win there is very very little in it. in some cases the .260 is better and in others the 300WM wins. Im considering a new gun for beyond 1500yds and was looking at the .300WM but my .260AI wins in most cases its only until you get to the .338LM that it become a viable trade. The .300RUM is slightly better than the .260 but maybe not enough to warrant all the added expence.

Forgot to add if you run the ballistics on a .260 and .300 win there is very very little in it. in some cases the .260 is better and in others the 300WM wins. Im considering a new gun for beyond 1500yds and was looking at the .300WM but my .260AI wins in most cases its only until you get to the .338LM that it become a viable trade. The .300RUM is slightly better than the .260 but maybe not enough to warrant all the added expence.

I run a 260 and a 300rum , the rum smashes the 260 at extreme range in my experience but mine was built for extreme range with a long barrel.

I run the 208amax at 3250 and the 140amax at 2850 , both max in my rifles.

I've no experience of the 260ai

The 260 is the easiest to shoot the 300 gives the best splash at long range for spotting your fall of shot , the 260 is easy to get components for and the 300 is a bar steward to get components for and is a greedy cow as far as powder and barrels are concerned!

Ok, this has got a little made.

Just got off the phone with a mate at AI...

The AT is marketed as a .308 rifle. It isn't a "MC". The quickloc barrel was designed for the easy change of barrel for servicing and or different tasks as it was designed as a police fire arm I.e. Different barrel lengths etc.

If you look at SS and AI websites nowhere are ATS sold in anything other that .308 nor are there any accessories in a calibre other than .308.

In the manual there is a paragraph that states every time a barrel is removed the head space should be checked. A slightly different system is on the AXMC a (red markers etc) that mean you don't have to check head space each time. This is on the Internet for all to see.

Now... I'm not saying that a gunsmith can't change the calibre but it's not as easy as barrel off... Barrel on.... Shoot. It wasn't designed as a MC firearm like the AXMC.

Now that's put to bed...

Mildot... I get you bud, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. I've heard good things about .260 but it doesn't help that on this very website there are people saying otherwise. Earlier I googled .260 and a like to a thread on here said performance differeNces were marginal etc etc.

Also the rifles I'm looking at cost the same... .300 is S/H but super low round count and .260 is new.

I asked a 3 way questin originally... .260 vs .300 vs get better with .308.

My friend at AI said he hadn't much experience with .260 himself but he likes .300. However he said and I quote "man up, get better with 308, find a better round, and work harder". He suggested 168 Scenar.

I'm starting to worry that there is nothing wrong with with .308 and its me - BUGGER

Thanks for the posts all.

Archived