How do wsm go

dorg

I was wondering when a 7mm wsm barrel dies, does it go very quickly or gradually. do you wait for a barrel to start showing signs or would you just get a new barrel fitted. At the moment the barrel is shooting well but having had close to 1500 rounds through it I am not sure how much life is left in her.

They tend to lose repeatable accuracy quite quickly when they go.

Ive had three WSM barrels all used in F Class. all started showing increased verticals to begin with when they started to go with unexplained "fliers".

every barrel is different, but I would be surprised to see much more than 1800 rounds (accurate rounds) from a National / World level gun chambered in 7mm WSM

They tend to lose repeatable accuracy quite quickly when they go.

Ive had three WSM barrels all used in F Class. all started showing increased verticals to begin with when they started to go with unexplained "fliers".

every barrel is different, but I would be surprised to see much more than 1800 rounds (accurate rounds) from a National / World level gun chambered in 7mm WSM

My WSM barrel experience has been the same as Ronin's - increased verticals (ending up at over 2 MOA vertical) followed by fliers. I also experienced EPIC fowling problems, apparently from throat erosion.

I don't have reliable info on WSM barrel life - I bought a used WSM which had "seen only 100 rounds" - well, I saw about 400 good rounds before the barrel "let go". If you and Ronin are getting upwards of 1500 then I guess that tells me something about the "100 rounds"...

By the way Mik at Dolphin did an excellent job on the re-barrelling and I'd thoroughly recommend him.

My WSM barrel experience has been the same as Ronin's - increased verticals (ending up at over 2 MOA vertical) followed by fliers. I also experienced EPIC fowling problems, apparently from throat erosion.

I don't have reliable info on WSM barrel life - I bought a used WSM which had "seen only 100 rounds" - well, I saw about 400 good rounds before the barrel "let go". If you and Ronin are getting upwards of 1500 then I guess that tells me something about the "100 rounds"...

By the way Mik at Dolphin did an excellent job on the re-barrelling and I'd thoroughly recommend him.

Worldwide known , Barrel life for a 7WSM is around 600 rounds.

Thanks for the replies, Joes rifle has had over 1400 rounds through it and shot a 75/11 in the last round of the F class league. I think 600 is abit light.

Thanks for the replies, Joes rifle has had over 1400 rounds through it and shot a 75/11 in the last round of the F class league. I think 600 is abit light.

Hi Dorg,

From my understanding, I think Joe's barrel is probably more the exception than the rule for 7 WSM (I guess you do too, hence the topic of the post ?). Most people I've spoken to in the league (including Joe, I recall) seem to think 1000 rounds is a fair innings, with barrel life typically being described as "short but sweet" - but if it's still shooting well at 1400 rounds, then this can only be a good thing, and let's hope it continues!

As mentioned in my earlier post, I bought my WSM pre-owned, so take my low round count as a pinch of salt. However, if I get 1400 out of my new barrel then I'l be a very happy chappy.

I Have fitted a lot of these in 7 WSM and 7-270 WSM, incl the 2 rifles I run for the F Class Matches.

Average accurate barrel life can be up to 1200 rnds, all depending on which powder you use.

I use N165 and get approx 1100-1200 accurate rounds, then it drops off a clif with very little warning

Hope that helps

I Have fitted a lot of these in 7 WSM and 7-270 WSM, incl the 2 rifles I run for the F Class Matches.

Average accurate barrel life can be up to 1200 rnds, all depending on which powder you use.

I use N165 and get approx 1100-1200 accurate rounds, then it drops off a clif with very little warning

Hope that helps

I can't comment on the short magnums, not being a user, but Forum members should note that Viht N165 is an exceptionally cool burning powder with a low Specific Energy value - 3,500 KJ/Kg compared to ~4,000 for Re22/25; Re17/RS60/RS70; 4,050 / 4,020 for Viht N550 / 560 respectively. Even single-base 4831 / 7828 are rated higher - 3,870 for H4831 and H4831sc; 3,850 for 7828ssc.

This seems to make a very significant improvement to barrel life on those cartridges that suit these slow burning powders. Several threads on the AccurateShooter forums, mostly about 6.5-284, 284 Win / Shehane and 280 Rem / 280AI suggest it is borne out in real life. The barrel life spreadsheet that's also available on AccurateShooter suggests a 750-1,000 round barrel life difference in 284 Win between H4831 and N165 both running at 60,000 psi pressures.

So, knock a third off Mik's figure for the 4831s and even more for hot loads with high-energy powders in the short magnums.

Archived