'Spot the Difference'

brown dog

Out and about today.

An observation challenge:

Other than the fact that the chap holding the rifle is obviously, even when obscured, devilishly handsome; and that the rifle has a tag hanging from it; what's 'different' about this rifle?

sa80crop_zps284aaab6.jpg

Guest Stacka

Could do with a hair cut too, sleeves ironed....etc etc.....

Wonder why the produced a lefty A1?

And I wonder what the new acquisition will look like or be infact a A3 or a new rifle complete

Apparently they (it) were made as an exercise to prove a point and production would only take place if a significant order was placed by a foreign government - or so I was told a few years ago.

That never happened.

Don't know; the version I heard (years ago) was that the original intention was that UK Forces would issue a % of rifles l/h - and the idea didn't survive beyond some MOD bean counter saying 'no' at a very early stage in the development process.

That's right. Mid way through the development programme, ITDU ran a series of trials that demonstrated that left handers could be trained to shoot right handed just as accurately as right handers. Apparently, there was also no improvement in accuracy when left handers used the left handed prototype. That was enough for the beancounters and the lefty option was dropped from the programme.

It remains a controversial decision, even now!

As is common with a lot of ex trials kit, the prototype went from ITDU into the LWC collection.

That's right. Mid way through the development programme, ITDU ran a series of trials that demonstrated that left handers could be trained to shoot right handed just as accurately as right handers. Apparently, there was also no improvement in accuracy when left handers used the left handed prototype. That was enough for the beancounters and the lefty option was dropped from the programme.

It remains a controversial decision, even now!

Yup. Lies, damn lies and directed trial results!

I'm one of the 1000s of lefties forced to fire righty. After tons of constant handling as well as intense pre-operational range packages, yes, r/h fire can become instinctive; but I found that after time away at deskjobs, going back to the SA80 the muscle memory is lost and it all goes back to feeling unnatural and cack-handed - prone, sitting and anything static remain OK, but anything dynamic or involving movement goes to unnatural-feeling ratsh1t.

So, in away, it actually reduces operational effectiveness of lefties and, therefore, places them at greater risk in a firefight. If they did it again today, I'd take it to the EU as discrimination against 10% of the population. I'd probably win. :lol:

Spot the difference you normally have two pictures.

Its a lefty. but the change lever stays on the same side, the rest moves so bolt release is now on the right.

It has the old cocking handle, a that which promotes growth and vigour hand guard, no doubt the old Firing retaining pin and the old pattern bolt. The wrong springs, The pattern gas plug. A different pattern ejection port cover for the left.

A Susat that sucks.

A sling loop thats fitted to the wrong side for a lefty!

Plus I'm glad they don't have lefty SA80's means I have to carry two lots of Ejection covers around, plus training is easier if everyone is on the same system. Along with a few other reason.

Lefty are almost as bad as gingers lets face it :P

Hk have even brought out A3 upper bodies now. not even at our request which now turn up which cause confusion between the infantry. These have longer sight rails on for the FIST Kit as part of the 20/20 uplift.

But they you have to add a conversion rail onto that as the army are idiots and don't do things the right way to start with.

Archived