whats available target,comp,range days for a target shooter,looking to get more advanced.

527vamint

Hi all,From North Wales.

Basically I started r/f and c/f target shooting a couple of years ago. I am a fac holder, have done a nra compentancey course, have my own rifles as in .22rf,.223 and .308 scoped and .308 iron sights.

I am quite lucky as I have two clubs local to me that I am a member off, one is informal .22rf indoors and 100yrds out doors, the other is .22rf 25yrds indoors and 100m-300m outdoors on the mod range, that have various comps trough out the year as in free hand, nuns head, open sighted, timed and so on.

I fancy Diggle and the mcqueens or a go at f class or anything within reason, hence why I got 223 and 308. I don't know much about the way they are run what I need or even if I can do them or the what the ranges are.

Just need a pointing in the right direction range and load wise, I am also struggling with load development, its a bit much too fast and I suffer from brain freeze with trying to hard, also cant absorb information from books without pictures.

Cheers Andy

F class training weekend is about as good as it gets as a introduction to F class, it is also extremely good value for money

Bisley, Feb 20-22

You will get hands on guidance from former world champions to current European champions and GB squad members.

http://www.gbfclass.co.uk/index.php/home/dates-venues-and-entry-forms

Why not use preloaded ammo-either commercial or milsurp until you are more confident about reloading-some never reload.

The GGG brand in 223 and 308 is quite good,and costs little more than good reloads-and you keep the quite decent brass to reload later too-probably makes it cheaper than reloading.

Reloading isn't too difficult at the basic levels,and you don't need fancy advanced techniques (at this stage,or ever),but you have to have justified confidence in your ammo. Get some GGG (Bisley,or Bradders on here can supply.)

gbal

Cheers guys

will have a look at the diggle web site for dates and see if I can arrange something.

Have been reloading for around two years now found a great load for the 223 but its dwindled off now need to start again.

Just got my 308 and, did the ladder test but didn't get the results I wanted (necksizing) now able to f/l size after a long wait for the dies, will do it again.

The 223 shoots 55g vmax and 60g tap great, but ppu 55g and the 69g match is poor. currently using 52g amax and 24.5 g of blc2 was good but not so great now.

The 308 shoots 150g sst's bang on and not too bad with surpless. trying 155g lap senars at the mo, not great but group,have 168g amax and 185 berger juganoughts to try and waiting for 155g amax in the post, its a 1/10" twist.

That f/class training looks good will look into it.

Think I have my heart set on macqueens that's what I read about in a mag and It made me pull my finger out and my fac Also the fly shoot and the egg shoot..

Thanks again for the advise

Andy

Andy,

You are welcome to come over to Diggle and shoot any of the events on our calendar - www.diggleranges.com We shoot F Class every fortnight at ranges from 300 - 1000 yds and McQueen once a month.

The first McQueen of the new year will be Sunday 18th January. Just turn up around 10.00am with 25 rounds - we shoot 200 yds in the morning and 300 yds after lunch (bring a sandwich).

Nothing intimidating about our shoots - just a group of guys and gals getting together for a shoot and a natter. PM me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com if you want more info.

Vince

Andy,sorry-your first post strongly suggested you wer not really getting to grips with reloading.

Clearly you are-if you have a load that works,use it-you could spend years fiddling around with different bullets etc.Get into shooting,then see what most in that discipline use-and copy them.Some bullets of course might be a bit better for a particular discipline-Mcqueen snaps don't need big juggernaughts recoiling you off target-the heavies are for very long range time unstressed work.(actually to try to compete with 6.5/7s-usually without much success.)

I'd focus on one bullet/powder-as you have a good 223 load, to get the 308 going-stick with the 155 scenars and say V140-no need to reinvent the wheel-that just works pretty well in most rifles. Most of the shooting you are interested in is not about the very last .1 moa possible...1moa would likely do fine.

Priority seems to be to try these disciplines,and then if you want to get more serious,try a few bullets,if you must,but don't get too bogged down in 'load development' now.

g

Andy,

You are welcome to come over to Diggle and shoot any of the events on our calendar - www.diggleranges.com We shoot F Class every fortnight at ranges from 300 - 1000 yds and McQueen once a month.

The first McQueen of the new year will be Sunday 18th January. Just turn up around 10.00am with 25 rounds - we shoot 200 yds in the morning and 300 yds after lunch (bring a sandwich).

Nothing intimidating about our shoots - just a group of guys and gals getting together for a shoot and a natter. PM me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com if you want more info.

Vince

Cheers Vince , I am working on the 18th will look at other dates and see what I can do. Thanks again Andy.

Andy,sorry-your first post strongly suggested you wer not really getting to grips with reloading.

Clearly you are-if you have a load that works,use it-you could spend years fiddling around with different bullets etc.Get into shooting,then see what most in that discipline use-and copy them.Some bullets of course might be a bit better for a particular discipline-Mcqueen snaps don't need big juggernaughts recoiling you off target-the heavies are for very long range time unstressed work.(actually to try to compete with 6.5/7s-usually without much success.)

I'd focus on one bullet/powder-as you have a good 223 load, to get the 308 going-stick with the 155 scenars and say V140-no need to reinvent the wheel-that just works pretty well in most rifles. Most of the shooting you are interested in is not about the very last .1 moa possible...1moa would likely do fine.

Priority seems to be to try these disciplines,and then if you want to get more serious,try a few bullets,if you must,but don't get too bogged down in 'load development' now.

g

Cheers g.

Sorry should have explained better.

I will put a post on the realoading section regarding my loading.

Thanks Andy

Cheers g.

Sorry should have explained better.

I will put a post on the realoading section regarding my loading.

Thanks Andy

No probs,Andy...should be no difficulty getting a decent 308 load,it's not a finicky cartridge.Perfection is always elusive,seldom necessary!

g

Andy,

Also have a look at the FCSA, we have plenty of range dates up and down the country, you are welcome to tag along. Targets from 100-3000yds depending on location.

Www.fcsa.co.uk

Mike

Archived