T3 260 Rem Semi Custom

Ronin

Just completed this and been asked to post images of the build as the new owner is itching to see it

Tikka T3 action, lapped lug and lug abutments.

Tikka Picatinny rail, aftermarket carbon fibre bolt handle and shroud and one of Daves (Baldies) trigger springs.

Trigger cleaned and regulated to 1.75 lb release.

1,8 tw Lothar Walther palma profile, finished at 24" chambered in 260 Rem

TET bottom metal and AICS mag fitted into a GRS Hunter Stock

Pillar and Devcon bedded.

New action screws made.

Screw cut with protective cap.

DSCN4237_zpsc90f2dbb.jpg

DSCN4238_zps851a1885.jpg

DSCN4239_zpsb71b0544.jpg

DSCN4240_zps08ea0693.jpg

DSCN4241_zps6e14122e.jpg

DSCN4242_zps86711953.jpg

DSCN4244_zps68325562.jpg

DSCN4245_zpscca9146b.jpg

Load of work in this rifle - hope it shoots !

:D

Very very nice andy , i bet there going to be smiling allot after seeing this !

I'm in the middle of laying the bloody stuff - hasn't been pointed yet, cheeky sod!

Very nice bet she shoots but holes!! :)

It might,,,,,,though id prefer it to shoot bug holes :lol::lol::lol:

That's not even funny man......I really want it in my hands now mate!!!!! I can't even describe how pissed I was this morning, I went out to collect said rifle, and loan be hold the car wouldn't start!!! Previous two weekends I had moved house, grrrrr.

Anyway Andy I will say it publicly as I will hopefully soon when I collect in person, I am for ever debt to,you my man, it looks amazing and I have 100% confidence in your abilities as a smith! and I know it will shoot. I'm also looking forward to realising a few shooter errors due to its accuracy potential that I can iron out!

Thank you mate. Really appreciate your patience and hard work.

James

P.s. When you want to start on the next build!!!!???? Joke

Yeah that's the chosen pill, also want to try the 123 amax and 123 SMKWasn't built specifically for them, same reamer was used on a previous rifle for my brother in law and his shoots accubond and SMK incredibly well. The140's will be my go to round hopefully. Will see how the 123gr perform also. TBH I bet they will shoot no matter what I put through it.

I had a text during build from Andy, saying that the chamber run out was at .0002" .... I nearly fell of my chair. Now that's accurate!

Will post some load development on here once I get sorted.

J

CZV

• 3 months later...

Load of work in this rifle - hope it shoots !

:D

Hi guys just an update really on this rifle. After many months well two and abit, seems like years, i have finally shot it!!! Yes I know I hear you why has it taken so long....uhhhhh winter, moving house fox's everywhere, little girl busy at work....yawn need I go on.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

So Ronin had built a .260 for my brother in law, cracking rifle fully custom. Basically he did all the donkey work so to speak, I just copied one of his dummy rounds and loaded three different bullet heads. I went for 123gr SMK, 142gr SMK's and of course the ever popular 140gr AMAX. So to make things easy for myself I loaded them all with 34gr of N140. Ran out of time on Tuesday to shoot that day, so had to wait for Wednesday morning. Of I went to bed and was massively looking forward to the morning where I could finally get out and shoot my rifle.

Wednesday morning came round and I arose to yet another poor day chucking it down with wet drizzle, i dont know of any other kind, this didnt deter me as i was desperate to shoot it.

I went to my local ground where I can zero my rifle with good ease. I walked out to set up the targets on the target board. walked back to the car now drenched. Firstly set up rifle over car bonnet on a sand bag. Bore Sighted rifle to target and it turns out i have a good eye for this. Three inch low first shot. quarter inch right windage, no big deal. Dial up three MOA shoot first 5round group. Selected 5 123gr SMK's and loaded them into the AI Mag (wanted to make sure it fed well....it does!) 1,2,3,4,5 all 6oclock low on Bull from BDS zero target. first five shot group so first 6 rounds, they were a fantastic group!!! To say I had a smile on my face would be an understatement! Overall group size was 0.209" wow.

So now to the 140gr AMAX loads, right hand target selected. 1,2,3,4,5 shots all shot quarter inch left of the 123gr SMK's A little verticle stringing but that could have been me, I am confident it wasnt my reloading! This group measured in at 0.215" to grin twice as large... so i had the upmost confidence for the 142gr SMK's this is what brother in law uses, so should be ok.

The 142gr loaded and shot, they had another shift, quarter inch to the left so was happy that any load I have done shoots within half inch of last load. 1,2,3,4,5 shots done of I trudged to retrieve all three targets. I had to call Ronin when I was stood in front of targets,a rather joyous convo a few mins later I walked back to the car head held high and massively thankful to Andy for your superb skill and workmanship, and my man as said on phone you are the man and again I really appreciate all time put in and countless visits phone calls etc you took from me. I may even let you shoot it one day!?

It shoots like a dream and i love the GRS stock, really comfy to hold and shoot with LOP is handy, along with adjustable and fast adjustable cheek weld. This all helps.

Please see pics below of targets.

Any questions please ask.

CZV

20150218_135445.jpg

All targets and Rifle

20150218_142737.jpg

123gr SMK

20150218_142716.jpg

140gr AMAX

20150218_142809.jpg

142gr SMK

:P:P:D

Superb first 15 James :)

The rifle is "just right" - will make an excellent killing tool for deer.

Light enough to carry all day, accurate to reach out where necessary with 5 shot ability for "multiples"

Enjoy

T3's make excellent donors, the more I do with them, the more I like them - if only there were the choice of stocks inletted for them….

Well this is the thing. There are more coming on the market, to be fair a lot seem to be chassis systems. I handled the new GRS Bolthorn chassis at shooting show and spoke with Oscar. Very nice guy and was pleased to talk to you, by Sunday a lot of people were fed up and some came across as being short and not really that bothered to talk to you. This chassis is very well thought out and would be a dream to own.

See GRS home page for pic, Oscar stated that because of its balance recoil is all straight back into your shoulder, pretty impressive.

See attached link.

http://grsriflestocks.com/home

Very nice indeed!

Hopefully i'll being having a 260 Rem in the not too distant future. Although it won't be as slick as yours!

Jamie

Have you chrono'd any of the loads? I'd be interested to see what 34gn of N140 does to 140 a max

Hi Will, I was wanting to but to be honest I would have been rushing even more, basically I'm sick of rushing!!! My brother in law is on same twist and has a 26" barrel I'm fairly certain as far as my memorie serves me right 34gr n140 on the SMK 142gr are just over 2700fps. I can look in his file and confirm but sure that it. I will chrono in spring when have more time, ie Easter holidays for me. I have a shooting rifle and plenty of deer to shoot.

Just need the time to do it now.

All the best

CZV

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just a quick update,

Drew first blood with this rifle at 06:35 this morning, first stalk this year, and first with this rifle. Really pleased with the performance of the rifle and it handled really well. Shot was 182yrds of sticks. Easy shot really, 6 of his mates had just jumped boundary wall...typically...but this guy hesitated. I didn't.

Again fantastic workmanship and super advice given from Ronin. Many thanks.

CZV

2015-03-07%2010.39.41.jpg

Archived