Loaded ammo or just heads

justin credible

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can keep as many target bullets as you like,,,,,expanding projectiles count as if loaded ammo....silly but true.

I think the powder limit is now 15kg unless you have special licences.

I asked my local firearms department the same question recently. I was told I could buy as much of any component as I liked and it only counted once it was assembled. I was a little surprised!

I've got 500 rounds allowed on my license at any one time and haven't gone over this limit when buying components.

I would ask your local Firearms department for their view on it.

I asked my local firearms department the same question recently. I was told I could buy as much of any component as I liked and it only counted once it was assembled. I was a little surprised!

I've got 500 rounds allowed on my license at any one time and haven't gone over this limit when buying components.

I would ask your local Firearms department for their view on it.

The problem with asking the local firearms department is that they might be wrong.

S5 bullets, in law, count towards your holding allowance whether they are in rounds or not.

:)

[pedant]By "heads" I assume that you actually mean "bullets".

Not heads and not tips, either bullets or projectiles please. In rifle cartridges, the "head" is in fact the area at the back with the writing (headstamp) and containing the primer and most certainly NOT the part which is forced down the barrel at varying speeds.[/pedant]

img.gif

[pedant]By "heads" I assume that you actually mean "bullets".

Not heads and not tips, either bullets or projectiles please. In rifle cartridges, the "head" is in fact the area at the back with the writing (headstamp) and containing the primer and most certainly NOT the part which is forced down the barrel at varying speeds.[/pedant]img.gif

Call them whatever you want we all know what he is refering too

Call them whatever you want we all know what he is refering too

That's not the point - a bullet is not a head, never has been. Should we refer to granules when meaning powder; caps when meaning primers etc. ... ... ... NO - a bullet is a bullet or a projectile, it has never been and isn't a "head".

Shoulder neck head. Logical to call bullets heads in my book. Why do people get there knickers in such a twist over it!?

The "head" is at the other end of the case, where the calibre/brand etc. is stamped, i.e. "headstamp. Would you call the head of the case the "bullet" - no, so why call the bullet a "head".

It's not logical at all, we're not talking about human anatomy. It's not a case of getting one's knickers in a twist - it's simply a case of being factually correct, in using the correct terminology.

When our hobby is all about precision, why use incorrect terms?

Correct, a head sits on a neck above the shoulders. A fair description of a mammal.

In a loaded round the Bullet sits in the neck.

There, knickers straight again.

Hear hear.

The incorrect use of "heads" when meaning bullets has been around for donkey's years, but that doesn't make it right.

You ought to be careful, you might just shoot yourself in the foot when you clearly don't know one end of a rifle cartridge from the other img.gif

Well, "pointy end" is at least more descriptive than "head".

"Can I have a box of Hornady .308 168gr A-Max Pointy-Ends please" rofl-1.gif

I find it just incredible that folks persist in calling BULLETS heads , are these folks stupid ? Ignorance can be excused but when you look on a box of Sierra , Nosler , Speer etc , the people who make BULLETS put on the box what they are --- BULLETS .

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Expanding bullets count towards your total whether made up or not and must be locked away.

Target bullets dont count towards the total until made up.

Andy

Good stuff - back on topic!

Also, don't forget that advice from the FLD is not necessarily correct: and that the head, which forms one limit of the headspace is where the headstamp is; the thing at the other end is a bullet. Or did someone mention that already?

;)

Weeeellll, there may be an alternative view...what is the use of however many bullets when one doe not have the cases? The certificates put limits on rounds, i.e. The assembled sum of case, primer, powder and bullet. If we put this forward, that the bullet is what the certificate means, we are putting a self limiting clause, when the interpretation of the conditions of our FAC will start including primers, cases etc...

I never include my boxes of bullets when stating a count...

Best wishes

Finman

Weeeellll, there may be an alternative view...what is the use of however many bullets when one doe not have the cases? The certificates put limits on rounds, i.e. The assembled sum of case, primer, powder and bullet. If we put this forward, that the bullet is what the certificate means, we are putting a self limiting clause, when the interpretation of the conditions of our FAC will start including primers, cases etc...

I never include my boxes of bullets when stating a count...

Best wishes

Finman

That is certainly and alternative view - but if we reflect on the reason why S5 bullets (not the other kind) are included in the total round count, we might ease any anxieties about other components being included by stealth in the round-count:

my undertsanding is that bullets of the S5-type only are included in the total round count because they are in law prohibited ammunition and are therefore in law considered ammuniton whether in fact made up into rounds or not.

Non-S5 bullets, since they are not included in S5, are not prohibited ammunition, and therefore are not in law ammunition - and so don't count.

It's silly, but it's law: if the police ask for a round-count, you should probably include a count of S5 bullets.

Whenever I was inspected, normally when I apply for renewal of my FAC, I've never been asked for the total count of bullets in my possession, only rounds. It is possible that others' experience is not the same as mine.

Our interpretation of the limits posed by our FAC conditions, should be on rounds and not on bullets. Perhaps the litigator assumes that one is loading every bullets they buy, hence the limit. This is however non-sensical as one can buy as many target bullets, primers, cases, powder as their pocket will allow or they have desire for, and the same logic can be applied for these components as well.

I will continue to interpret this as 'rounds' so long as my Police Authority allows me to do so. Particularly with the current component shortage I'm prepared to bet that a significant proportion of hand loaders possess more bullets than their certificate allows, whilst being absolutely observing the limit when it comes to rounds...

Best wishes

Finman

Our interpretation of the limits posed by our FAC conditions, should be on rounds and not on bullets. Perhaps the litigator assumes that one is loading every bullets they buy, hence the limit.

No. The legislators haven't thought about it at all, and make no assumptions.

It is an accident of the law, really. S5 bullets are prohibited ammunition, and therefore ammuntion, and therefore count as such in holding limits on FACs.

It's silly, but is at least not complicated to understand.

My current FAC gives max quanitities to be possessed of 'Ammuniton including expanding ammuntion and expanding missiles' just in case I had failed to grasp the implication of the inclusion in S5 of certain kinds of expanding bullets.

It might be worth changing your mind on this, 'cos in the unlikely event of your getting nicked for holding too much ammuntion, you'd not have a leg to stand on: for FLDs are not authorised to allow FAC-holders to break the law. :)

If your bullets are non-S5, then it don't matter at all - fill the house with the things!

I never said I'm doing it or have any intention of exceeding my allowance, I have no reason. It is a theoretical discussion. But, as I said, I was never asked to show the total number of bullets, only of rounds. And talking of rounds: one can possess as many target bullets as they desire, however, does the same apply to loaded target rounds?

It is full of holes....

Best wishes

Finman

Archived