280 or 7x64

Mash67

I am trying to make a decision on which calibre
If anyone has experience of both and can give some pointers I would be grateful

the other info needed is the availability or ease of purchasing ammo and brass in the UK, so again any views from people who know

Uses- long range gong bashing and normal hunting use

thanks

If you stick to the European Cartridge (7x64) I have a feeling you will be able to source european made components. And I don't think you have much to envy from the .280 with such a choice....

best wishes and good luck with your quest,

best wishes

Finman

The 280 rem and European 7x64 are very close,ballistically and in hunting use (though neither is strictly based on the 30-06,they are pretty much wildcat 7-06,for most purposes/comparisons.) 7Rem mag outdoes them,if any extra were needed.

See "7x64,why not more popular' post on here,Jun 12 2013,and replies.

It's a judgement call as to future availability,but the metric cartridge is popular in Europe-but any future choice of brass or loaded ammo will probably depend on demand in UK-Europe has been the more reliable source recently!

gbal

I personally have the 7x64 as I hunt abroad a lot and it can be found in most countries, across Europe it is by far the most common calibre. However if I was to shoot just in the UK I would go for the .280 AI, the 7x64 is throated for long heavy spritzer bullets and I am not sure of the .280 but I think the Americans had 130-140 grn bullets in mind, though I am sure that a smith could throat to spec.

Thanks for the replies gents

It looks like finding the brass easily and cost effectively will be the answer to selection, as they are so similar

If I am using around 160g bullets would the neck length of the 7x64 be better or is it really not worth the worry

Any other views still welcome

Cheers

Matt

I have both reamers Matt and you can have a look and a chat when you get the other gun.

Cumbrian 1 has one of mine in 7 x 64 and it shoots very well. I,ve also done several .280,s and they are the same. Brass hasn,t been difficult in the past for either.

I have both reamers Matt and you can have a look and a chat when you get the other gun.

Cumbrian 1 has one of mine in 7 x 64 and it shoots very well. I,ve also done several .280,s and they are the same. Brass hasn,t been difficult in the past for either.

cheers Dave

I am trying to do as much homework as possible, reamers was going to be one of my questions to you. searching for brass at the moment but looking for sensible prices,' lap' is not one of them, I have really good results with PPU and Winchester in my 243, have also bagged 1000 Amax 162g,

280 Rem has seen a lot of interest recently in American long-range F-Class with some very good results in top national comps, often using batched and prepped Remy brass too, not Norma. 280 Rem AI is on the up too and MVs are up at or above 7mm Shehane levels approaching 7mm Rem SAUM. It makes sense for budget conscious Americans as there are stacks of cheap long-action Remy 700s around to rpovide donor actions, every pawn shop has at least one unloved 270 or 30-06, and brass / dies are readily available and cheap.

For those who must have top quality brass, Norma makes both 280 and 280AI, but another approach has been to reform Lapua .30-06. This takes a little more work than a simple necking-down operation, and the result is slightly short. In answer to that, Dave Kiff at PT&G has come up with match chamber reamers for Lapua 280/280AI with a reduced neck section length.

Logically anything 280 Rem can do, 7X64 will do equally well, such is their similarity in shape and internal volume. I would imagine 7X64 RWS brass is as good as other top notch European examples, although never had the chance to measure and weigh any to see if that's so. So, it's a six of one / half dozen of the other job subject to brass availability and price as the OP says.

The 'big minus' for many is their long, relatively narrow and much tapered case shapes being believers in the short, fat school of case design. Personally, I've always thought that case capacity / charge weight v bore and bullet weight is much more important than case shape and that a good combination will shoot well even out of long tapered cases. The ancient .300 H&H Magnum still gives small velocity spreads and outstanding precision despite the case design having everything wrong about it. By accident or design, Winchester chose the identical case volume and 65,000 psi PMax rating as the H&H for its newfangled obese WSM and they give identical performance, all other things equal using near identical loads of the same powders.

• 3 months later...

hallo , I have been a member for quite a long time ,but have been a active poster.

I find this forum very good

If anybody can help me to get in to contact with zelle12 I would really appreciate it

as I am looking into building a 7x64 for f class shooting

Sorry if my English is not that good , it is not my home language

thank you in advance

Willem Kooij

Thank you edi ,I will send you a personal mail,I did try to contact him at loudguns.at, but have not received a reply yet.

The 7x64 is quite popular here and think the improved version will make a good longrange or f class cartridge ,RWS and Norma cases is readily obtainable here so that is not a problem

Thank you so long

Willem

Archived