Quarry type tactical comps - likes/dislikes etc..

Offroad Gary

Sounds good to me. Hope it all comes together and keep us informed. I'll certainly be wanting to attend.

Im going to bolt the gongs directly to the walls of 4x4 tyres with big hefty bolts to start with, should take a few hits me thinks.

We tried every combination of fixing we could easily a cost effectively find. No bolt unless it too is made of armour grade steel will take a hit. Even the shrapnel from the hits on the gongs start to damage them after a while.

The best way is conveyor belting with multiple fixing points. We had the idea just before the last quarry that got cancelled to just glue the gongs directly to the belts but we never got round to testing it. Either way though, if you attach the gong to something or use conveyor belting covering the whole back of the gong, it takes the ring out of it.

I suspect if you just attach them to tyres they won't react at all.

Rich

I suspect if you just attach them to tyres they won't react at all.[/size]

[/size]

Rich[/size]

Rich, the gong will be hanging in the inner area of the tyre, supported by 2 fixing bolts through the wall of the tyre, pinching the tyre wall between the gong and a piece of metal to stop the nuts pulling through. I think it will react, the bottom will be hanging freely. It was the idea i told rup and pete about, but they used shackles through the tyre wall, which as we know cant take a hit.

First shoot will happen after gamebird season ends, will be small invite only affair to check how the day might flow, should i up the numbers.

Rich, the gong will be hanging in the inner area of the tyre, supported by 2 fixing bolts through the wall of the tyre, pinching the tyre wall between the gong and a piece of metal to stop the nuts pulling through. I think it will react, the bottom will be hanging freely. It was the idea i told rup and pete about, but they used shackles through the tyre wall, which as we know cant take a hit.

First shoot will happen after gamebird season ends, will be small invite only affair to check how the day might flow, should i up the numbers.

Would very much like to be on that list!

Sounds promising :). I'd been keen to attend, as I'm normally running the day, so don't get to shoot...

A word of caution regarding naming the event. You can quickly find yourself in very hot water - a challenging zeroing session with field rifles & Sec. 5 ammo in the field is one thing, running a tactical competition on an unapproved range with Sec. 5 ammunition being used is quite another ;)

As mentioned above grade 8.8 bolts are required and the freer the plates hang, the better the wear and sound signature will be.

Good luck with the project :)

• 1 month later...

Haven't looked at this thread in a while.

2 direct hits on the bolts. Gongs were attached to fire hose. They took several shots without issue.

They don't look anything like when we hit them. What were you shooting them with? Direct hits or even glancing ones like your pics show usually just popped the head. Certainly with anything bigger than .243.

Haven't got any pictures, but the bolt heads on the older gongs from the quarry actually started to seperate from the shank because the shrapnel was cutting them. At the last quarry comp, thats how one of them failed, it wasn't a hit on the bolt at all.

I'm not trying to get into a debate about do's and don'ts, just trying to pass on some of our experience. By all means, experiment. We certainly did.

As above always good to see more of these types of shoots appearing.

Rich

Haven't looked at this thread in a while.

They don't look anything like when we hit them. What were you shooting them with? Direct hits or even glancing ones like your pics show usually just popped the head. Certainly with anything bigger than .243.

Haven't got any pictures, but the bolt heads on the older gongs from the quarry actually started to seperate from the shank because the shrapnel was cutting them. At the last quarry comp, thats how one of them failed, it wasn't a hit on the bolt at all.

I'm not trying to get into a debate about do's and don'ts, just trying to pass on some of our experience. By all means, experiment. We certainly did.

As above always good to see more of these types of shoots appearing.

Rich

I haven't a clue what they were shot with. We had .223 to .308 in use on the day. No issues at all with the splash cutting from the side. I hope to run another May time.

Archived