What Zero

Brillo

My rifles are currently zeroed at 100 yards. For F Class and F T/R what is the usual zero distance?

I ask this because some NRA style plot sheets with a standard drop chart attached always start at 200 yards.

I shoot F class and benchrest and I keep my scope set at 100yds zero where I did load development with the most accurate load. If I shoot next at 600yds for example I know that I have to come up X amount of minute of angle and fine tune on that day and keep a record of my actual elevation at 600yds on that day. Similarly when I shoot at 1000yds I know from previous experience that I need to come up about 24 moa from my 100yd zero and again fine tune in the sighting in period or the 2 sighters allowed in F class. So basically you can initially zero at any range you like to suit yourself as long as you know your moa elevation from an initial zero for any given distance. As for plot sheets I just use them to show my shot placement, score and record of initial elevation and windage on the rifle.

As for 'zero' distances for F class. In the GB F Class League we shoot at 600yds. Sometimes 800 and 900yds but mainly at 1000yds. At local club competitions at Diggle ranges for example, we shoot F class at 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1000yds. So I could for example just leave my rifle set at 600yd zero as it is rare that I will shoot at shorter distances. Do what suits you.

Archived