Bipod rules

Jon B

Afternoon,

having just returned from Bisley and an uneven firing point, I just wondered is it FTR legal to use a piece of board on the firing point to give an even base for your bipod?

Not attached to the bipod, just layed on the grass.

Yes, it's allowed. Likewise, bits of carpet, car accessory shop rubber / carpet footmats, household hairy welcome doormats etc. There are issues over mats / boards etc that are pegged into the ground and have ledges or similar used to brace bi-pod feet against. Generally, I'd say avoid all these things if you can on plain turf firing points, and if you must use one I personally prefer a thick doormat to the others. A board or mat can be near essential on some surfaces though: loose gravel, cinders, concrete.

These are the new ICFRA rules released this week regarding your question.

4. In Rule F2.9, we clarified what can be used under rest and bipods:

The use of tables i.e. a single flat solid surface extending under both front rest and rear bag is prohibited. Carpet or similarly flexible matting may be placed under the front rest and rear bag. Separate flat boards and or plates not exceeding the dimensions of the individual rests by two inches on a given side may also be placed under the front rest and rear bag. In the case of a bipod the board or plate may be as wide as necessary to accommodate the bipod at its widest point, but not be more than 12" front to rear. It is not permitted to provide tracks for the guidance of bipod feet. No levelling screws or protrusions are allowed on these boards or plates. They must be flat on the top and bottom.

This means if you use a bipod and a plate/board, the plate/board must be flat on top and bottom. This is simply to prevent the creation of something akin to a benchrest. If F-Open competitors choose to use a bipod they must conform to the same rule.

At the euros this year I seen boards being used with 4 bolts protruding from the underside which went into the ground, I presume these are now illegal?

That's what the rules say, no protrusions, flat top and bottom.

That's what the rules say, no protrusions, flat top and bottom.

Dave-does this apply to rear bags -as we know a certain mr.M sells a rear bag "base" that can be spiked into the ground at the corners.do these now fall foul of the rules?

Dave-does this apply to rear bags -as we know a certain mr.M sells a rear bag "base" that can be spiked into the ground at the corners.do these now fall foul of the rules?

Looks like it

3. Spikes are not allowed on rear bags.

Cheers

Dave

Looks like it

3. Spikes are not allowed on rear bags.

Cheers

Dave

The spikes fall foul, the base plate doesn't - and it makes a very steady rear set up.

• 2 months later...

"Separate flat boards and or plates not exceeding the dimensions of the individual rests by two inches on a given side may also be placed under the front rest and rear bag"

This part is difficult to understand for two reasons:

• the width of most bipods alter as the height changes so you would need a board or mat that would accommodate the lowest height and hence widest width, so the rule will be broken when the bipod is high and narrow
  • what difference does it make how much is either side of the bipod?

Archived