Is 6x47 Brass Available Commercially?

Mack

I'm thinking of having a rifle rebarrelled to 6mmx47 Lapua. Is the brass for reloading available commercially or is it a case of resizing 6.5mmx47 Lapua cases?

Mack

.. is it a case of resizing 6.5mmx47 Lapua cases?

Mack

You're clearly on the case :(

Well that's what my gunsmith has to do for his toy, so I assume there's no available 6 version.

Chris, NZ

I have just neck turned a hundred of them and neck sized them with a full time RCBS die

A frriend of mine went to the IWA a month ago and met a representative of Lapua who was visiting as well. This lapua rep indicated that this is one of the caliber they are monitoring and production can start within 03 months of ammouncement and the other cartridge they are monitoring is the 204 ruger

what powder are you comtemplating? mine is a 1 in 8 twist

Hi Mack,

I thought it is available, might be wrong but im sure there are soon going to be the answers you want from the more knowledgable of folk on here. If you go down this route, keep us posted as i am thinking of getting the 308 rebarelled when its shot out, could be a while though!

Andy

Thanks Folks.

Like Londonhunter, I suspected I would have to resize and neck turn 6.5mm cases but would be ideal if Lapua decided to produce commercial brass. The plan is still at an early stage so haven't even thought about powders, etc. The current .243 donor rifle is nearing the end of it's barrel life and the 6mmx47 appears on paper to ace it in many area's, hence my interest in the chambering.

Regards

Mack

Thanks Folks.

Like Londonhunter, I suspected I would have to resize and neck turn 6.5mm cases but would be ideal if Lapua decided to produce commercial brass. The plan is still at an early stage so haven't even thought about powders, etc. The current .243 donor rifle is nearing the end of it's barrel life and the 6mmx47 appears on paper to ace it in many area's, hence my interest in the chambering.

Regards

Mack

you don't have to neck turn, go for the 6mm hot this reamer was made so you don't have to mess about, just buy a set of dies and run all your new cases through the die and bingo, ready to shoot, (well you will need powder/bullet/primer :mellow: )

this is the same one that i use, so i know it works.

i specked my reamer to shoot the 105 vld and as they have a short bearing surface you can just about shoot a 75g bullet,and still touch the lands. i use a 1 in 8 twist barrel L/W and have yet to see any copper on a patch yet.

http://www.6mmhot.com/

ATB

Colin

Very interesting that lapua are watching it.Even more interesting is that they are considering doing the .204.When they dont make 22-250 brass, that says something about the .204 doncha think?

I have no experience of the 6x47 swiss match personally, but is the only difference the fact the swiss match is large primer, and this one, small?

Weeeel there could be a little confusion with case names as what this thread is about is the 6-6.5x47 (based on the modern 47mm match case). Whereas the original 6x47 is the .222 rem mag case necked up to 6mm. Totally different animules really. 6x47 (6mm .222 mag) produces velocities in the mid to late 2000s and will make about 1550ft/lbs top screw. Very popular in africa (as it the 6x45) for a mild shooting small plainsgame rifle. Wouldn't work over here though cos it wont make the energy.

Z

Archived