I writing to inform you of a change in the operations of Border Barrels. As you may well know in recent months it has been very hard to contact the management team. This has now been rectified by the removal of said team. The employees and machinery will now be operating under Sassen engineering a company with over 50 Years of experience in manufacturing.

Unfortunately with the removal of said management team we have also lost many of the Contacts and all Current orders. These still are with john Shirley who also has any firearms that the company had in there possession. All we have is the machinery tooling and the staff who made the move from Scotland.

We will be offering only Button Riffled barrels to begin with the hope of introducing cut rifle at a later date. The idea behind this is we would like to concentrate on one thing and build over time. We realize that the reputation of border barrels has taken a small hit in the recent times. We would like to rectify this by continuing to make an excellent product with a fast turn around and sticking to deadlines

One Additional idea that we are thinking about offering is a service where the customer pays for several blanks that are then kept on their own shelf in our workshop. Then when one is required we will profile and send it out with the customer then settling the final payment for profiling. We feel this would speed up the process immensely

If you feel that there is anyone else who can benefit from our service would you please forward on their contact details to us as we would like to make contact with the companies ourselves

We look forward to hearing from you and hope we can bring this once great British company back up to what it should be

• 2 months later...

GB Barrels - Cut Rifled Barrels is a company run by Dan Brough, who was one of the Border team, id be (and am) looking there for UK made barrels whenever I am asked

So is it probable that cut rifled barrels will be produced in a different location to button rifled barrels and under a different name?

I can't help but think the order I put in at the start of the year wont be amounting to anything! Though in fairness after all the disruption, I wouldn't consider making an order again until normal production had resumed and any backlogs were cleared.

Bottom line is that I believe it's important to have a British choice of barrel manufacturers and I hope whoever's has the reigns on this makes a success of it.

GB Barrels are a separate company started by Dan and are producing cut rifled barrels (only)

If you want a barrel made in the UK, I suggest you look to Dan and his team to make one.

This prompted me to do a little bit of digging.

Mr John Alban William SHIRLEY is a director of Border Barrels Ltd, a Scottish company with its registered office at Q Court, 3 Quality Street, Edinburgh EH4 5BP, so any legal notice to recover property or money compensation from that company would have to be served at that address, as Mr Shirley would not be personally liable except in exceptional circumstances - the legal principle of the limited company - its directors or shareholders are not themselves normally liable for its defaults. That office will be a brass plate so not worth a visit in person. It filing requirements do seem to be up to date, suggesting it has not been abandoned as a legal entity. It might be wise therefore to take advice on Scottish Law as regards any legal case against Border Barrels, as it might be necessary or at least better to commence any legal action in the Scottish rather than the English courts.

Mr Shirley is also a director of Birmingham Gunmakers Ltd and O'Farrell Shirley & Co Gun and Riflemakers Ltd both of Unit 4, Gunsmiths House, 50-54 Price St, Birmingham B4 6JZ which is a real address and might be worth a visit.

Further details about all these companies can be checked for free online at the Companies House website via gov.uk

Strangely with regard to the original poster's mention of a move to Sassen and the removal of management, Mr Shirley was also a director of Sassen from April to December this year, assuming he was the unresponsive management team!

I have also seen the announcement of the takeover of Border Barrels from Dr Kolbe in which it was stated that Mr Shirley's RFD number was 2511 issued by West Midlands Police in case that helps.

The following address is used as his address in certain entries - Sterling House, 5 Buckingham Place, Bellfield Road West, High Wycombe HP13 5HQ but that seems to be the address of a firm of chartered accountants called Haines Watts, rather than a personal address for him, but it might be worth a letter.

Contact West Midlands police, explain your situation, and they will know where the rifle is, or should be, as it has to be on an RFD, and that has an address.

If you believe that the gun is in danger of being lost, sold, or stolen, then tell them. They will do something about it.

Yes I Agree with Dave, that would be my first port of Call. The Rifle must be on a register somewhere?

Is it still on your FAC?

Your Local FEO should be able to advise and help

Yes it's still on my FAC, I spoke with my local constabulary regarding the issue and they informed me that it was a "civil matter".

I would have thuoght they'd be a bit more helpful as it's a firearm that I own and am having difficulty recovering.

Thanks Simon, Dave and Mik for your info and advice, I'll try a bit harder ( now you've pointed me in the right direction ).

Happy New Year to You All.

Regards Martyn.

Martyn,

If you feel in any way the safety of this firearm is compromised or about to be, ring the police back and ask to speak to the head of firearms licensing, because it most certainly IS NOT a civil matter.

Martyn,

If you feel in any way the safety of this firearm is compromised or about to be, ring the police back and ask to speak to the head of firearms licensing, because it most certainly IS NOT a civil matter.

I think you'd be surprised.

When my car got nicked with 2 guns in the back, I rang my licensing Dept and they told me to go and report it at the local Police Station.

They really weren't that concerned

Archived