vortex or sightron

trucraft

Anyone have any experience on how these two scopes compare regarding quality and usability?

http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-with-ebr-1-mrad-illuminated-reticle-111.aspx

http://www.aimfieldsports.com/s-tac-25-175x56-irmh-174-p.asp

Will be mostly used for varmint and odd deer.

Vortex ret is not quite to my taste but is FFP which is nice.

I need a new scope mil/mil with limited funds so these seem to be where I'm at unless you guys have any other options.

Thanx,

Trucraft.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA EMB-1 scope which differs only in that it has MOA instead of MRAD adjustments. Mine sits atop my .300 WSM Tikka T3 - I love it.

I find this to be an excellent scope both optically and mechanically and would have no hesitation in buying another and in fact I probably will.

I too had the Vortex and regret selling it to this day (sold with my .204 on these very forums) I am going to get another one when funds allow as I thought it was one of the best value scopes for the money and I really got on well with the EBR-1 reticule.

Sightron for me, I have them on all my cenrefire rifles, from .223 to .50bmg. Excellent glass and repeatable turrets with nice positive clicks, I also like the reticule (LRMOA2)

Interestingly on the 1000yd point at Bisley Sunday there were an awful lot of sightron scopes being used by the shooters on the line.

I too had the Vortex and regret selling it to this day (sold with my .204 on these very forums) I am going to get another one when funds allow as I thought it was one of the best value scopes for the money and I really got on well with the EBR-1 reticule.

Ditto what .300wm says

I have a Vortex Viper on my .204 & its a good bit of kit for little money. I too like the EBR ret :-)

But I would have no hesitation to replace it with a Nightforce scope if I had money to burn ;-)

But I would have no hesitation to replace it with a Nightforce scope if I had money to burn ;-)

Sightron = Nightforce but for half the money ;-)

Got top of the range S&B and 4 Sightrons with one Lup so yes I could afford all S&B but I like value for money. The Sightron is exalant value and good enough to win the world FTR championship. Yes the S&B is the dogs nuts, but heavy I've got 2 Sihtrons for varminting, one for FTR and one lite wait one for stalking. All on centre fire rifles.any one who wants to come over and have a look are more than welcome.

I currently have a Sightron S3 8-32 and have just ordered a Vortex PST 4-16. When I pick the Vortex up next week I shall let you know my opinion of the vortex and compare it with the S3. From the research I have done, the PST has much better features and is a more useable scope in the field but I will be surprised if the glass on the PST is as good as my Sightron.

I will add that I massively rate the Sightron. Owned it for 20 Months now, tracks perfectly, crisp turrets, 2 MOA reticule is fantastic and I do like the dot in the centre. I just can not understand why Sightron brought out their FFP S3 scope without an Illuminated reticule and why is the STAC not in FFP?!

I just can not understand why Sightron brought out their FFP S3 scope without an Illuminated reticule and why is the STAC not in FFP?!

Totally agree.

Look forward to your update.

Thanx.

What Sightron reticles are you guys using for hunting and how are you finding them?

I have a sightron SIII 8X32 MOA And extremely happy with it. Dials good to 650 at the moment, furthest ive gone out with it, getting to 1000 next step. Suitable for daytime varminting but I use a more suitable rifle and scope combo for later in the day

Anyone have any experience on how these two scopes compare regarding quality and usability?

http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-with-ebr-1-mrad-illuminated-reticle-111.aspx

http://www.aimfieldsports.com/s-tac-25-175x56-irmh-174-p.asp

Will be mostly used for varmint and odd deer.

Vortex ret is not quite to my taste but is FFP which is nice.

I need a new scope mil/mil with limited funds so these seem to be where I'm at unless you guys have any other options.

Thanx,

Trucraft.

You have listed two very different scopes for comparison, was that intentional or do you want a general feeling of Sightron v Vortex if thats really possible?

Just to add to BIg Al's point:the scopes referred too seem to be(all around £750)

Vortex Viper PST 6-24

Sightron STAC 2.5-17.5

A closer comparison with the this Vortex would be the Sightron S111 6-24;which I suspect is what most posts are doing; we had confusion a whiles back with the earlier Sightron Blue Sky series-an inferior earlier model,not at all to be compared to the S111 series.There is a very popular S111 8-32,also-probably similar to the 6-24.

Vortex Razor is a different ball game too-we are then well up into Night Force territory (x2.5£).

You will get the best feedback by specifying specific models-of course,you may well really mean the two in your post-OK,but then harder to really compare,as the specs are somewhat different.In general the S111 and Viper are very good scopes,personal preference,as posts indicate-STAC probably fine too-there will,as yet,be fewer users....good luck in your choice

gbal

You have listed two very different scopes for comparison, was that intentional or do you want a general feeling of Sightron v Vortex if thats really possible?

True not quite the same spec. I was initially looking at the STac because it had a IR but i think if i go with a Sightron I would be looking at the http://www.aimfieldsports.com/siiiss-6-24x50-lrffpmh-135-p.asp

Which I think is the obvious comparison to the Vortex Viper.

I was really looking for comparisons on similar models. As you said Gbal the Razor HD is not compatible.

It looks as though the two brands are very closely matched form what you guys have said.

Thanx for all your input.

Still on the fence... dam it :unsure:

Why FFP?

The Sightron in FFP doesn't have an illuminated reticule whereas the Viper does.

I have a Viper 6-24x50 PST EBR-1 and also an SIII 6-24x50 LRIRMOA which replaced my Stac 2.5-17.5x56.

Ive only had the new Sightron since yesterday morning but I took it out yesterday afternoon with a friend to compare with the Viper and I had another look at this this afternoon. We both felt that in reasonable light conditions there was next to no difference, if the Sightron had an edge is was so small as not to be worth the £300 difference. As the light started to fade the Sightron gave a useable image for a bit longer but again does 10 minutes at dusk justify an extra £300, neither are S&B or Swaro's in the dusk.

The very fine Sightron reticule is easily lost on a ploughed field or in dark cover during daylight and the red dot doesn't really help as it does show up strongly during daylight, personally I think the turrets on the Viper are nicer in use, more positive and less likely to be unintentionally moved and the gold/copper coloured makings on the Sightron just look tacky to me. I prefer the Sightron single illuminated dot over the full reticule of the Viper. Ive dialled the Viper a long way out and it has came back to zero, I haven't tried the Sightron in this way yet but I expect it will be accurate/repeatable.

Considering I now own both I really wanted the Sightron to be a clear step ahead, in reality I don't think it is, maybe half a step to more discerning eyes than mine. Ad in the amazing lifetime guarantee of the Viper and you have a very good package at a very sensible price.

Why FFP?

The Sightron in FFP doesn't have an illuminated reticule whereas the Viper does.

I have a Viper 6-24x50 PST EBR-1 and also an SIII 6-24x50 LRIRMOA which replaced my Stac 2.5-17.5x56.

Ive only had the new Sightron since yesterday morning but I took it out yesterday afternoon with a friend to compare with the Viper and I had another look at this this afternoon. We both felt that in reasonable light conditions there was next to no difference, if the Sightron had an edge is was so small as not to be with the £300 difference. As the light started to fade the Sightron gave a useable image for a bit longer but again does 10 minutes at dusk justify an extra £300, neither are S&B or Swaro's in the dusk.

The very fine Sightron reticule is easily lost on a ploughed field or in dark cover, personally I think the turrets on the Viper are nicer in use, more positive and less likely to be unintentionally moved and the gold/copper coloured makings on the Sightron just look tacky to me. I prefer the Sightron single illuminated dot over the full reticule of the Viper. Ive dialled the Viper a long way out and it has came back to zero, I haven't tried the Sightron in this way yet but I expect it will be accurate/repeatable.

Considering I now own both I really wanted the Sightron to be a clear step ahead, in reality I don't think it is, maybe half a step to more discerning eyes than mine. Ad in the amazing lifetime guarantee of the Viper and you have a very good package at a very sensible price.

Why FFP... why not?

I like to be able to trust the recital when holding for wind or elivation without having to check what mag its on. My other scope is a mil/mil ffp Khales so it make sense to me to keep things the same.

If the Sightron ffp had an IR I would be happier as i also really like the red dot. Thats why I was looking at the STac though not ffp. What made you sell yours?

A good honest review BigAI, thanks.

I will be picking up my 4-16 PST early next week so will do a side by side comparison with my S3 and get it written up for you guys.

• 2 years later...

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD EBR-1 and i'm pleased with it. In terms of value for money they're hard to beat. Vortex products also have an unlimited lifetime warranty, you can find all the details on their website. I can't recommend their customer service enough, they've sent out replacement parts to me from the US free of charge.

Archived