OAL gauges and Headspacing

ajw

Can the headspacing of a rifle be checked with an OAL gauge, and if not why not??

Many thanks from a confussed Andy ;):o

Can the headspacing of a rifle be checked with an OAL gauge, and if not why not??

Many thanks from a confussed Andy ;):o

hi -

there are a lot better people on here to answer this than me but i will have a stab at it.

a AOL Gage gives you the measurement from the ogive on a bullet to the bolt face.and the ogive is in to or just resting on your lands,(rifling)

head space is from about 1/2 way down your cases shoulder to the bolt face. (Headspace is the measurement between two points in a rifle's chamber. These points are the boundaries of cartridge movement when a cartridge is chambered. In strict SAAMI terms headspace is the distance from the face of the closed breech of a firearm to the surface in the chamber on which the cartridge case seats.)

i hope this is (A) right And B of help

ATB

Colin B)

Thanks Colin and Ian for the information I was after. That was what I thought, but i needed to be assured of that because someone (supposedly in the know), was telling me different. :lol:

Regards, Andy

Col and Ian have it spot on, you need the proper gauges to get any sort of meaningful result. It is rare for a factory rifle to have a head space problem unless they have been re barreled or something.

You can buy gauges but they are not cheap, it would make more sense if you have a problem, or think so, to go to one of the recommended rifle smiths and let them check for you. If you say where you are one of the lads on here can do it or put you onto a nearby riflesmith.

Redfox

Redfox

Im on the co. durham/cumbria border so if anyone could think of someone nearby that would have the tools to do it, that would save me some money.

Cheers Andy

Archived