243 barrel length and twist?

lambsey

Twist rate is how many complete revolutions the rifling takes, over a given distance. IE, 1 in 12" means the rifling will make one complete 360 degree twist in 12" of barrel.

Twist rate are all different to cope with different bullet weights, and therefore lengths.

A quick paragraph here cannot do this subject justice.

In a fox/deer rifle in .243, you have two options, you can shoot a light bullet for fox, such as a 58 grain v-max, and you can use a heavier one such as a 100 grain softpoint for deer, or you can make it simple and use the 100 grain for both.The twist rate needed for such a bullet is generally a 1 in 9" twist, some 1 in 10" will do it, if the bullet is pushed as hard as possible, but most wont, as weve already discussed on the sako/tikka thread. A 1 in 9" will shoot the full range of weights in .243, apart from the 105- 115 grain target bullets, they need a 1 in 8" to stabilise them .

thank you very much, some gunshops have told me it dosent make THAT much difference!!!!!!!!!

hi lambsey

next time you are in one of them shops, tell them you are on about rifles not shotguns ;)B)

ATB

Colin :P

The Parker Hale .243 Pro- Stalker had a 1 in 10" twist barrel from the factory. It was designed to handle bullet weights up to and including 120 grains. However, it will only stabilise bullets heavier than 90 grains if they're of the flat based design.

Grant...

The Parker Hale .243 Pro- Stalker had a 1 in 10" twist barrel from the factory. It was designed to handle bullet weights up to and including 120 grains. However, it will only stabilise bullets heavier than 90 grains if they're of the flat based design.

Grant...

Thanks for that. I've only put up to 95gn through mine (SST's) which seemed to work okay. I might try something a bit heavier and see how it performs.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for that. I've only put up to 95gn through mine (SST's) which seemed to work okay. I might try something a bit heavier and see how it performs.

Dave did you try anything different through the rifle

Have picked up a 243 parker hale and am looking for a deer load

Cheers

Chester

Dave did you try anything different through the rifle

Have picked up a 243 parker hale and am looking for a deer load

Cheers

Chester

95gn SST pushed by 44gn Viht n-160 works pretty well. Oi loiks me viht.

hi can anybody tell me the ideal barrel length and twist rate( can somebody explain twist rate) for a .243, the rifle is used on deer and fox??

22" 1-8 twist for a stalking/foxing 243.

.......or better still, re-barrel to 260 with a 22" or 24" and a 1-8 twist (if you reload)

Archived