mangey fox with the .204

craigyboy

Just thought I would re-post this here to get the new forum filled up.

I was up at my grandads farm on monday for a walk and noticed a load of magpies so I returned on wednesday with my stuffed magpie decoy too see if I could thin them out. On my way over I got to the highest point I could to scan around and in the blinding sun I was sure I spotted something that looked like a fox about 400 yards away down in the corner of last years barely stubble but it dissapeared as quick as I saw it, so I decided that I would go around and try and cut it off in the direction it was heading. I started walking up a slight hill to the place I thought the fox was and just as I got to the top there it was sitting by a ditch scratching itself, I quicky dropped down and popped a round in the chamber, I couldnt see the fox from a knealling position so I had to stand to see it I took the shot standing only at about thiry yards just above the front leg, not much of a test for the .204 but its another fox in the bag. On closer inspection it turned out the fox was a vixen and it had mange and was full of ticks so I probably done it a favour. Her teats were well furred up so i would say her cubs are a right size by now. This vixen was taken within about 500 yards of were i shot a fox the other week which was also a vixen, I am quite suprised by this the area seems to be more promising than I thought, I expect there is two dogs about + a load of cubs in a couple of months (some with mange more than likely). I was quite surprised with the .204 on this occasion the entry wound was barely visible only really from the blood on the fur and as for exit there was a tiny bit of blood on the other side but i think this may be due fragments as a proper exit would be far bigger, the whole rib cage of the fox was smashed up badly and its inside was mulch so the 32g v-max done its job (though at this range it wasnt much of a test)

heres a pic of where it dropped

cooper002.jpg

and here is a pic of the mange

cooper003.jpg

I have only ever came across two fox's with mange one was extreamly bad ,looks like there is a few fox's geting shot lately with mange , perhaps its to do with the weather being warmer than usual i dont know , what i do know is i have seen dogs with it and they do suffer ,so its the best thing to shoot them (fox's that is ) that looks a realy tidy set up Craigyboy what make is the stock

Thanks foxshot, I think its bell carlson stock but am not sure.

Archived