Do it all rifle

gaz6br

Very interesting thread!!!

I have owned a 6.5-284 and a 6.5-55 improved = both lovely calibres that will run the 140 grainers with ease!!!

Very nice to shoot at long range too!!

Sadly gone now to make way for other things??? a 280 Ackley impoved which is running the 162 A-max @3025 = really enjoying this round ;):)

All the very best ,

Ray.

Cheers Ray

I'm all ready confused lol I just want a nice smooth round with a bit more bite than my 6br. I'm thinking 120-130 grains ;)

Gaz

I like a challenge at range :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Ray

I'm all ready confused lol I just want a nice smooth round with a bit more bite than my 6br. I'm thinking 120-130 grains ;)

Gaz

I like a challenge at range :)

Not owned a 6.5-47 but shot a few = a very sweet shooter , one of which shot the 123 A-max very well ;)

To be closer to a "do it all" rifle/ caliber, the 6.5x55 (as suggested earlier) could be the way forward....

Easy to home load with plenty boiler room capacity, lapua brass is mega cheap compared to others, and factory ammo is relatively easy to get a hold of.

It all depends on how far you want to go. ....factory/semi custom/ full build

That's just what I'm thinking Ray ;)

The 6.5 swede loved them too!!! ;)

Just too mess your mind up more Gaz .... 270wsm?

With 130 - 150grn vlds. B)

Love the marbling on your stock Ray. I think they got that spot on.

Thanks mate ;)

Think its relevant to the topic :D hows it been going with your new toy??

Another vote for the 6.5x284 :)

Mine loves 125 Partitions at 3100 and is my go to rifle

I'm thinking of running 123gr bullet does any one no what a 6.5x47 will push them along at

Gaz

I'm thinking of running 123gr bullet does any one no what a 6.5x47 will push them along at

Gaz

My shooting buddy tried the 125's in his and he was struggling to get velocity above 2800-2900 without losing accuracy.He usually uses 130 SST's and gets around that which isn't particularly fast but very accurate.I think you'd have to have something like a 28" barrel to get velocity much above 3000

The 6.5 swede loved them too!!! ;)

Thanks , ;)

Think its relevant to the topic :D hows it been going with your new toy??

SAUM is going good thanx. Dropped a buck first day of the season and off to give some Scottish hinds some stick in a month :)

Gaz

My 21" stalker runs at 2821fps, my 26" one runs at 2867fps (ran it at 2905 fps at the rrc with the 21" load but that was too hot).

SAUM is going good thanx. Dropped a buck first day of the season and off to give some Scottish hinds some stick in a month :)

Good to hear mate ;)

As for 6.5-284 - i put 1700 rounds through it and it was still shooting well when i sold it ( probably not a lot of barrel life left though ).

I think if you look after your barrel as in be careful not to overheat and keep the fouling down , they will give you pretty good life for the performance you get!!

What powder - seems on the upper limit?

Seems on the very upper limit to me out of a 18.5 inch tube.

I've done a lot of research on the 6.5x47 this last 2 weeks, speaking to some real experience shooters and smiths and nothing compares to that.

Gaz

I'm not calling you a lier but I'd like to know the load :)

Hi Gaz, I get 2780fps out of my 18" barreled DTA with 130g VLD Hunting Bergers, I use 38.5g of Varget, I have dropped a grain this year from 39.5g to try to be a little kinder to the barrel, so it could be quite a bit faster, and that's with a 130g bullet, which has close to 2500 rounds through it ant still shoots tiny groups when in the right conditions. I also use 95g V-Max with 42.5g of Varget and get 3180fps with that, an ideal vermin round, even compared to the fast small calibres, it's a superb do all round. I have only last week bore scoped my barrel, the first couple of inches are fire cracked, as pushing a patch through also tells you, but it still shoots amazing groups.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Gaz, I get 2780fps out of my 18" barreled DTA with 130g VLD Hunting Bergers, I use 38.5g of Varget, I have dropped a grain this year from 39.5g to try to be a little kinder to the barrel, so it could be quite a bit faster, and that's with a 130g bullet, which has close to 2500 rounds through it ant still shoots tiny groups when in the right conditions. I also use 95g V-Max with 42.5g of Varget and get 3180fps with that, an ideal vermin round, even compared to the fast small calibres, it's a superb do all round. I have only last week bore scoped my barrel, the first couple of inches are fire cracked, as pushing a patch through also tells you, but it still shoots amazing groups.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hows your brass holding up? Your powder charges seem quite high.

I only pushed the 95's up to 39.3 varget in mine, was doing 3024fps from a 21" barrel.

Is you 18" measeured to bolt face or front of action?

Archived