Do it all rifle

gaz6br

I'm in a bit of a pickle :(

Not sure what to do but fancy a change from my 6br (I think) I'm after a do it all caliber fox,deer long range plinking thinking 6.5x47 or 260 at the moment

Next stocks McMillan a3/a5 or accuracy international

Also bullet choice

Any help will be noted

Cheers chaps

Gaz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gaz I am just having built a .260 bit more legs behind it than a 6.5x47 for long range if you are using 139grn pills I say having built it is actually my Barnard 07 260 rifle sold the Barnard chassie system kept the l/h SM action re barrelled the action with a Kreiger 26" fluted barrel screw cut 18.1 invisible thread cap all bedded with dev con into a l/h Mc millan A5 Adj stock bottom metal to take AI mags and 8.32x56 Nightforce NXS Scope the 6.5x47 and the .260 there is very little difference between them both good capable rounds to shoot

As i said on the phone G, the 6.5 x 47 was never intended to shoot 140 grain bullets. Its too heavy for the round, and the std reamer isn't throated for the bullet. PTG do make a reamer for the 140,s but its very rare as most folks who actually shoot the cartridge understand its limitations.

There is 0.060" difference in the freebore.

If you want to shoot both weights then the .260 or the 6.5 creedmoor is the way to go, and both will give an advantage over 6.5 x 47 with heavier bullets.

Yes il keep the 223 ackley as my lamping gun :)

I've got some ground with fallow on now and there's more coming up shortly, even though my br is covered for deer I fancy something with a little more poke behind it ;)

Gaz

Hi Gaz, I use 6.5x47, it's my only rifle now, 95g V-Max running at 3200fps for vermin, 130g VLD Hunting at 2775fps for anything larger, or longer range. I spent ages reloading for the 95g V-Max, I wanted it to the same windage as the 130g bullet, albeit higher, so I could calculate my actual zero. The 130g is zeroed at 200yd, the 95g at 260yd making adjustments easy depending on what bullet you want to shoot. A superb do it all round in my opinion, hope this makes sense!

Best Regards,

Mark

I'm in a bit of a pickle :(

Not sure what to do but fancy a change from my 6br (I think) I'm after a do it all caliber fox,deer long range plinking thinking 6.5x47 or 260 at the moment

I like them both, but given I've been using the 260 Rem since '99 I'll stick with that one. Starting from scratch I today I would go for 6.5 x 47. Good luck. JCS

I run a 260 and they are great , a slight advantage over the 47 with 140g class bullets but for all intents and purposes there's nothing in it !

BUT , if I was to want a calibre/rifle for everything it would have to be my 308 , 110g vmax for fox 168 amax for everything else unless I needed to punch deep on game then I'd probably use the 180 accubond or similar ?

I run a 260 and they are great , a slight advantage over the 47 with 140g class bullets but for all intents and purposes there's nothing in it !

BUT , if I was to want a calibre/rifle for everything it would have to be my 308 , 110g vmax for fox 168 amax for everything else unless I needed to punch deep on game then I'd probably use the 180 accubond or similar ?

We're spoilt for choice. I found a box of .308 180gr Hammerheads in the gun cupboard the other day and will need to give them a try some time. Regards JCS

I was in a similar position to you at the start of the year. I wanted a rifle that I could do everything with. I ended up with a 6.5x47. I use 140 vld hunting, 123 Amax and will eventually get around to using 95 vmax.

2mwfce9.jpg

We're spoilt for choice. I found a box of .308 180gr Hammerheads in the gun cupboard the other day and will need to give them a try some time. Regards JCS

Just the thing for a moose,loose about the hoose!

g

I was in a similar position to you at the start of the year. I wanted a rifle that I could do everything with. I ended up with a 6.5x47. I use 140 vld hunting, 123 Amax and will eventually get around to using 95 vmax.

2mwfce9.jpg

that is a nice set up ! (except the long barrel buts that's a personal thing) what scope is that ?

I like them both, but given I've been using the 260 Rem since '99 I'll stick with that one. Starting from scratch I today I would go for 6.5 x 47. Good luck. JCS[/quote

Curious as to why you would pick the 6.5x47 over the 260 as they seem to be very close on performance

that is a nice set up ! (except the long barrel buts that's a personal thing) what scope is that ?

Thanks, the long barrel isn't ideal but its manageable. Its 28". I can live with it when stalking and it helps when out for some long range rock bashing on the mountains.

That scope is the new Ior Recon 4-28x50 with 40mm tube. Its outstanding!

Curious as to why you would pick the 6.5x47 over the 260 as they seem to be very close on performance

6.5 x 47 will work in a std magazine of 2.8 inches. I've got an Extended mag length of 3.1 in my 260 Rem, but it's not ideal if I ever want to use a magazine system. Steeper shoulder angle on the 6.5 x 47.

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

There's not a lot in it and as I've committed to 260 Rem for 15 years, I'll stick with it.

Regards

JCS

6.5 x 47 will work in a std magazine of 2.8 inches. I've got an Extended mag length of 3.1 in my 260 Rem, but it's not ideal if I ever want to use a magazine system. Steeper shoulder angle on the 6.5 x 47.

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

There's not a lot in it and as I've committed to 260 Rem for 15 years, I'll stick with it.

Regards

JCS

I had read that article before I bought my 47 and you say not much in , I had the 260 on my license when I got the chance of my 47, so just changed my fac and took it,,my mate has just got his rifle re barrelled to a 260 and was just curious as to your preference

Do it All?

Target - to a degree - certainly sub 1/2 moa all day and easy to hold MOA in any position with sticks at 100 yds

Vermin - well it will kill most things

Deer - yes its deer legal and has ten round mag for "target rich" environments in winter

Calibre - 6.5x47

Rifle AI AX

DSCN3738_zpse15ebc2a.jpg

As i said, a big one and a little one, in 6.5x47l

524AE5DF-CBFD-478E-9844-530DCF405E40_zps

If i was specifying just one, i'd pick the scope i wanted for the job/jobs, and build a rifle to carry it well and be accurate to the capability of the scope.

I needed 2.

No-i wanted 2..

Archived