.17 HMR scope choice

benterrier

I've a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 with the BDC ret on mine. Nice,light scope that reasonably good in low light. Paid £160 for when it I bought the rifle.

Keep an eye on ebay for Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 x 44 UCC. They're the older model, and come up every now and again and can be bought for in around £180. Excellent scope, I had one for about a year, superb in low light, only sold it to fund a diy nv setup............... regret it now.

It all very well asking will this scope do or will that scope do?

Any scope will in reality do the job. But what do YOU want it to do?

Different things need different things.

Night vision?

Long range?

Headshooting to,preserve the meat?

Shooting at dawn or dusk?

Lamping?

What are you going to use for?

I have a cheap 3-12x44 on mine and have used it out to 160 yards. But it is rubbish at low light. But good with the nv, I intend to change it for a better scope in the near future

Totally agree there are many things to consider and you have to be clear on what you want to use it for. I shoot bunny's with my 17 but I only have a £80 Hawke scope on it but it does have a really good depth of field so I don't need to keep focusing it. Between 70 and 120 yards it is in focus.

I find my 17 gets quite a bit of abuse as well so I don't care if I knock it on a fence post or on the front of the gaitor. But in low light it is true its not as good.

Just my opinion but it works for me

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Its been sometime and finally got my ticket in the last 2 weeks but the left hand CZ 452 has not arrived...over 10 weeks now !!!

I'm holding back on buying a scope until I get the gun. Deciding some while ago I'm going down the fixed mag road.

A question, I wear vario-focal glasses and the scope on a air rifle I have...... 3 -9 x 42AO at different distances I have to adjust the front lens to bring the image crisp and focussed. So how do these fixed scopes work with no AO or Side focus facility work . Do they rely on the quick focus ring or your eye adjusting. Am I missing something here.

Regards

Benterrier

• 1 month later...

Well over last few weeks things have moved on. Had to settle for 2nd hand CZ 452 L/H bolt gave up on the new one, anyway unmarked gun as new from Sportsman, had it with moderator and cheap scope but today fitted S&B 8x56 Klassic.........superb. Finally got there in the end

Many thanks for all of the advice.

Regards

Benterrier

Archived