.17 HMR scope choice

benterrier

Hi I'm new to this site. Waiting to get my ticket through. Have ordered a left handed CZ 452 .17. My biggest problem is choosing a scope for it now. Where do you start, read loads online but there is always negative things about a scope when I'm nearly decided on one. I've looked at Hawkes, Leupold, optisan, even some lower priced S&B. The other day I was looking at some new Nikon Monarchs 3 6-24x 50 Side focus fine reticle with dot. £400. Why were all these scopes left on the shelf at this shop......I looked through one out side, really good optics but 6-24 was a bit over kill to me. What are your guys views on my choice.

Regards

Benterrier

Hi I'm new to this site. Waiting to get my ticket through. Have ordered a left handed CZ 452 .17. My biggest problem is choosing a scope for it now. Where do you start, read loads online but there is always negative things about a scope when I'm nearly decided on one. I've looked at Hawkes, Leupold, optisan, even some lower priced S&B. The other day I was looking at some new Nikon Monarchs 3 6-24x 50 Side focus fine reticle with dot. £400. Why were all these scopes left on the shelf at this shop......I looked through one out side, really good optics but 6-24 was a bit over kill to me. What are your guys views on my choice.

Regards

Benterrier

I have a monarch on my HMR , nothing wrong with it at all . I tend to leave it set at 8x for bunny bashing but the extra is useful for zeroing / spotting . Mine is the std reticule which I have no probs with.

Andy

I think the hmr is just a point and squirt tool for say out to 150 ish??? When I had one it wore a humble meopta 7x50 excellent glass and crisp enough to get a good 100 yard zero,,,personally I think a high mag and all the knobs etc is wasted on the hmr,,,,yep concentrate on good glass fixed power.

I think the hmr is just a point and squirt tool for say out to 150 ish??? When I had one it wore a humble meopta 7x50 excellent glass and crisp enough to get a good 100 yard zero,,,personally I think a high mag and all the knobs etc is wasted on the hmr,,,,yep concentrate on good glass fixed power.

[

/quote]

I can see where your coming from Onehole. I do a bit of photography and there's no substitute for good glass. So would you go for SF or AO focus.

Hi Guys

As you can see from the postings its going either way, towards high quality optics, be they second hand or medium to low quality saying that's all the .17HMR requires.

When I ordered the gun I looked at a few scopes, went through the shops stock and the scope that I liked the best was believe it or not a Nikko diamond 1x4 24 IR dot. It really impressed me, the optics were razor sharp, the reticule first class even not illuminated, build quality good. May be the lower mag was the reason but so many people turn their noses up at Nikko.

http://www.rbsporting.co.uk/index.php/product/nikko-stirling-1-4x24-ir/

Yes Stacka, Docter scopes, Have looked at these online and if somebody offered me that model of yours for £150 I wouldn't hesitate ........Haven't seen any bargains like that lately.

Well the quest goes on, I just want to get something I'm satisfied with and does the job.

Regards

Benterrier

[

/quote]

I can see where your coming from Onehole. I do a bit of photography and there's no substitute for good glass. So would you go for SF or AO focus.

If you choose a 7/8 times fixed they are usually parallaxed at 100yds/mtrs and good for focus from 50 to longer than hmr ranges just using fast focus ocular[recommended] ,,,,like I said knobs etc are a waste of time for the hmr,s usual duties,,point it shoot it and enjoy it fior what it is.If you want parallax then side focus is handy but I have seen zero shift on cheap brand SF! but not enough to worry hmr POI much ,,,have not noticed problems with AO.

Extra money spent on good glass will get you extra minutes at last light.... and the other way of looking at it is that it will be an "investment" that you'll keep.

I've got a Swaro AV 4-16 Bench Rest reticle on my .22 and had the same on my .17HMR..... bought from Gregor at Mcleods of Tain (good prices), but they did need a Sportsmatch inclined mount to get the adjustment and even then one of the combinations wouldn't work on one rifle although the other worked on both (Never did work it out, 'scopes only a few numbers apart, same mount :huh: )

The other thing to consider would be whether you intend to use it with an NV add-on... that opens up a whole new can of worms! MTC have a reasonable rep in this but Marky610 is currently using a Sightron S Tac with his own NT300 add-on and reckons it's very good.

......... it's a minefield. :lol:

Fizz

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again, Still haven't got a scope but leaning towards fixed magnification and good glass. Looking at a scope on eBay at the moment....Meopta Artemis 2100 RD 7X50 Rifle. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meopta-Artemis-2100-RD-7X50-Rifle-/161426126274?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2595bf35c2

emailed the guy and he said it wasn't illuminated...I thought this model was IR red dot.

Would the scope be ok on .17HMR.

Regards

Hi Again, Still haven't got a scope but leaning towards fixed magnification and good glass. Looking at a scope on eBay at the moment....Meopta Artemis 2100 RD 7X50 Rifle. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meopta-Artemis-2100-RD-7X50-Rifle-/161426126274?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2595bf35c2

emailed the guy and he said it wasn't illuminated...I thought this model was IR red dot.

Would the scope be ok on .17HMR.

Regards

It all very well asking will this scope do or will that scope do?

Any scope will in reality do the job. But what do YOU want it to do?

Different things need different things.

Night vision?

Long range?

Headshooting to,preserve the meat?

Shooting at dawn or dusk?

Lamping?

What are you going to use for?

I have a cheap 3-12x44 on mine and have used it out to 160 yards. But it is rubbish at low light. But good with the nv, I intend to change it for a better scope in the near future

hardly use any of my scopes past 8 power so for me 8x56 best quality you can afford scmidt&bender, doctor,meopta, zeiss etc etc in my opion you don't need loads mag for hmr just go for good glass ever time( imo )

• 3 weeks later...

Archived