22-250 popularity.....

Offroad Gary

Do you know what was no 1 in 2005 but doesn't make top ten in 2012 ? Or have I missed something?

Sorry,my source was incomplete,and I didn't have the tenacity to hunt down US deer calibres-as the issue was focussed on varmint-specifically 22/250 popularity (changes).I see your point (it wasn't 6.5 G,indeed any 6.5!) 7rem mag,is a contender-could just be a typo omission on the second list? But I can't be sure. 22/250 is steady seller,but not podium,it would seem.There are,alas,no actual sales figures-so we don't know the real differences between say 223 and 22/250,just their rankings.....sometimes I think there just are no simple answers....(rather than lies,damned lies and statistics!)

g

I have been reading this thread with great interest - and not only because I have just re-barrelled in 22.250 from 243.

I think it is a massive assumption , to believe that because one gunsmith didn't have any 22.250's on the shelf - the whole calibre may be on the wain.

If anything I see the opposite - I see many people ( including myself) who were temped by the immensely over hyped sales pitch of the 20 cals - actually returning to their 223's - 222's and of course the 22.250's

The 22.250 is an awesome flat shooting calibre perfect for foxing and longer ranges - it hits so much harder than the 20 cals and probably the best for vermin and fox shooting IME. As far as recoil - obviously noticeably more than the sub cals - but not so you miss the show.

I have had 5 -22.250 's , and despite really really trying - I have not managed to shoot out any of their barrels - despite launching a 40 grn Nosler at over 4350 fps and a 53 grn Vmax at 3960 fps .

Thanks

S

Yes,guys.I don't think the issue is 'which is ballistically superior'.The 22/250 and Swift are way ahead-though many 224s and even others (20,17) are good enough. They are all eclipsed by the 6mms,anyhow.

Any changes are unlikely to be based only on maximal terminal effectiveness.

Getting firm evidence for sales/use is not easy. ( I am entirely sympathetic to your doubts that 'none on the shelves' is a good measure';but either way it's ....err....inconclusive,so I was looking at other indicators-of popularity,of course.

Anyhow,anyone with a 22/250 knows how effective it is,so should not feel threatened/criticised/whatever. I can't imagine an effective shot with any 224,20,17 that would not have been at least as effective with a comparable 22/250 bullet placement (and the ballistics won't be worse in any appreciable way either!)

And no,I don't have a 22/250;but if I had to give up all but one 224,and all 6mms,it would be on the short list,though I suspect the 22BR might win,unless it also had to be factory,medium price (easy,used older Sako 22/250.

Does it matter?As Oscar Wilde noted,fashion is such an important thing,that we have to change it often. :-)

gbal

I loved my 22-250 for foxing and roe....it dropped everything comfortably. It was so good I bought a custom build! I then found out about the 6mmbr and how efficient and versatile it was - custom build no.2

I would still be happy to keep a 22-250 in the cabinet as a 'go to' factory chamber rifle.

I love my 22-250.

Currently shooting 40grn @ 4200fps, also have a lighter 55grn load that is running at around 3300fps.

The 40grn load was basically just seeing how fast it went on a full case of powder (worked up obviously!), but it is so much fun to shoot that I'll forgive it the assumed damage to the barrel life as I don't get through 100's of rounds anyway.

It has dramatic effects :)

I love my 22-250.

Currently shooting 40grn @ 4200fps, also have a lighter 55grn load that is running at around 3300fps.

The 40grn load was basically just seeing how fast it went on a full case of powder (worked up obviously!), but it is so much fun to shoot that I'll forgive it the assumed damage to the barrel life as I don't get through 100's of rounds anyway.

That will have some serious splat factor. :D

I love my 22-250.

That will have some serious splat factor. :D

I was reading something the other day and it was about the the .223AI shooting a Berger 30 grain bullet at 4600 ftps!, 250 yard zero, +1.18" high at 100 yards and 0nly -2.8" low at 300 yards. That is some serious point and squirt rifle.

I was reading something the other day and it was about the the .223AI shooting a Berger 30 grain bullet at 4600 ftps!, 250 yard zero, +1.18" high at 100 yards and 0nly -2.8" low at 300 yards. That is some serious point and squirt rifle.

It is indeed.Just to put the 22/250 in comparison:

40G @4200 200 zero is .6 at 100 and -4.2 at 300

So with a 250 zero,there won't be a lot in it.....and that is SAAMI pressures (it's a commercial Cor Bon load (Fed are very close too with Nosler 40g BT loading @ 4150)

No doubt the 22/250 could be 'improved',and edge the 223;though not much/why bother.Bigger case,better performance,simples.

gbal

• 1 month later...

Steve.

I believe that Berger hasn't made that bullet for several years.

But as usual , things are not as good as they first appear.

For example , The 30 grn bullet you refer too , has a unbelievably puny BC of 0.119 :blush:

At 300 yrds in a moderate 10 mph wind , this bullet would be blown a mind bending 18.4 inches off target :wacko:

It would only have a terminal energy of 260 fpe....

Despite having a very high initial velocity - I wouldn't want to use this at 200 yrds - let alone 300 yrds unless it was vacuum still

If you compare those terminal statistics to even the puniest of 17 CFs such as the 17 Hornet

the little hornet shooting a 25 grn Vmax at 3450 fps - moves 11.3 inches (7 full inches less) and hits with 276 fpe.

ATB

S

• 3 weeks later...

ive used 22.250 for fox nearly 35 years not needed anything else its an awesome round it seems to me these days theirs an awful lot of fashion buyers ooooooh look a new calibre gotta have one of those 22 spitzen faffers if your shooting a 22.250 stick with it its a great round .

Archived