Hornady Vmax Powder.

Big Al

Guys,

Can anyone tell me what powder is used by Hornady in the .223 55gr vmax, using Vit N133 not getting results as good as the factory loadings.

it wont be viht-enter mr.Holland who may throw some wisdom our way.

A friend said he thought it was Hodgdon Benchmark?

Ive had nothing but good results with Vit 133 in both 40gr vmax and 55gr SBK so I was surprised today to see that I couldnt get anything like the previous good results Ive had using the N133 with these 55gr vmax. 55gr factory vmax shoot really well in my rifle.

Can a powder make that much difference considering the 55gr SBK work really well with N133?

A friend said he thought it was Hodgdon Benchmark?

Ive had nothing but good results with Vit 133 in both 40gr vmax and 55gr SBK so I was surprised today to see that I couldnt get anything like the previous good results Ive had using the N133 with these 55gr vmax. 55gr factory vmax shoot really well in my rifle.

Can a powder make that much difference considering the 55gr SBK work really well with N133?

Al,Another of these puzzler sent to torment....you are right it's odd (but...)

V133 and 55SBK are fine so your barrel will shoot some 55g bullets (and 40vmax too) with V133

Factory 55 vmax shoot well,so your barrel likes 55vmax

But: 55vmax and v133 dion't shoot well.

Powders can make a difference to grouping,

though not as much as bullets(assuming it is a 'suitable' burn rate powder etc),usually.

Seating depth can make small differences-it's possible the 55vmax were seated differently-though I think you'd have seated them as per factory-eg same OAL,probably good enough-or with a seating measure/comparator? And similar powder weight to 55SMK ?

You could try varying the seating depth of the 55vmax ;(or use 55SBK or 40vmax! )

Feed the beast what it likes,and suit your application.You probably can't win them all,but don't need to.Puzzling,though,as you say!

g

But: 55vmax and v133 dion't shoot well.

g

Strange, the combination of the two has worked really well for me for years in several rifles. It's all I use in my .223 with same hole groups zeroing at 100 yards

I seat mine to just below where the ogive starts to narrow.

It wont be a powder available to the public.

Best idea is to email them and ask for the nearest commercially available equivalent powder. They are very helpful and you will probably have a suitable answer

MArk

Hi folks, could I chip in and ask a bit of advice please folks?

I have a .223 Tikka Hunter with a 1 in 8 twist.

I've used 55 Vmax with N135 using 25.1 grains and 25.4 grains and had sub .5" at 100 yards every shot with both loads.

I have N133 or BLC2, but never tried them in my 55 Vmax heads.

Could someone give me some data for their 55 Vmax with the N133 and BLC 2 please?

Thanks

Jamie

Archived