Neck Tension for 208g AMAX

blaser308

Hi there, with the amax of any sort a good place to start is between 10 and 20 thou off, if you want a starting neck tension then 2 thou is a good place to test first.

Blaser - very little response to your questions. Reason? Neck-tension and seating-depth are the 'fine tuning' part of load development - they will vary with every rifle and only by experiment can you determine the best settings for your gun.

Take benchrest as an example - we are all shooting 6PPC with Vit 133 and 66/68gn bullets but quiz every shooter as to his neck-tension and seating-depth and you will get different answers from each one. It's quite common on the day of a comp. for shooters to 'play' with neck-tension and seating depth to fine-tune the load.

If you aren't loading into the lands, neck-tension won't be a big factor but, once you have a powder-load with the bullet seated say 20 thou. off, try increasing the seating depth by say 7 or 8 thou. at a time. Once you are snugged into the lands, you may gain some advantage by playing with neck-tension.

Personally, I don't load into the lands for F Class competition - if the RO calls a 'cease-fire' and you have to unload, you could pull a bullet, which means an action full of powder and your shoot is effectively over - been there done that!

Hello Gun Pimp, I agree with your statement that neck tension and seating depth are fine tuning part of load development but was trying to see if there were any similarities with neck tension and seating measurement off lands with other FTR shooters using this bullet, My recent loads using this bullet with v light 1 thou neck tension 20 thou off Lands have yielded 2.5 inch vertical at 1000y however horizontal dispersion seems to be larger than hoped in calm wind conditions so will try upping charge a tad and maybe increasing neck tension to 2 thou to see if horizontal tightens up.

Archived