brass query

Hillhunter

I have some brass that is twice fired ,(308) is this good enough to F/L size and use for competition again or would I be better to use new brass , bearing in mind this is for 1000 yard. I have been told that the second firing is the most accurate.

there is nothing wrong with using the brass again I presume you are using Lapua brass subject to how hot you are running your load the brass should be good for at least 5 reloads possibly more you will no when its had enough pockets will become loose.

Brass should be good for rather more than two firings,even in competition.There may be a very slight improvement after the first firing,as the case is now 'fire formed' to your chamber,and neck sizing should be sufficient for several more firings.You need a full length resize when there is increased bolt lift resistance.The difference in accuracy is probably not measurable,and is way down the list in a 308 at 1000 yards,given all the other variables (wind is the big one,of course.)

Lapua brass is generally considered the 'best'.Generally what is absolutely fatal for long range (any) brass is loose primer pockets-that can't be fixed. You could consider annealing cases after several firings eg when you notice increased bolt lift,and annealing will give an increased lease of useable life.

Very,very few shooters would fire brass only twice before scrapping it (esp if the first firing really was 'less accurate'- though that is debateable anyhow,as above.

Full 'fire forming' of wildcat cartridges often gives quite surprisingly acceptabe accuracy...though not guaranteed,and of course will be down on the loading for the fire formed,larger capacity case.

gbal

I'm running a batch of Lapua .308 that's now on its 12th firing. I anneal and this load isn't too hot. Accuracy is where it should be and I'll continue to run the brass until I start to see any evidence of thinning above the web and or pocket loosening.

This particular batch of mine has been annealed 3 or 4 times over its lifespan. Now I have a Benchsource I anneal every firing, but I admit that's overkill and not really necessary.... I have also alternated between neck sizing only and then neck size / body sizing.

What is annealing? I'm presuming a heat treatment

Youtube

Riflebrassannealing by riflebrassrefurbishing

This will show and tell in English English .

The annealing process heats case necks to soften the brass again for easier neck resizing,and extended case life.

gbal

Jagged 77,

I've never annealed but would like to. Any chance you might be able to bring your eqpt to the Steel Safari Challenge & give me a demo? Or is that a little cheeky?

Regards

Mike

Hi mike, I'd be happy to bring it along and show you the setup. However in order to demo it we'd need to be indoors and have access to a power socket and a table preferably. I've no idea what facilities will be at the RV but I'll check with Scotch. Annealing on the Benchsource is different kettle of fish to annealing by hand due to the speed and heat applied by the machine.

Hi mike, I'd be happy to bring it along and show you the setup. However in order to demo it we'd need to be indoors and have access to a power socket and a table preferably. I've no idea what facilities will be at the RV but I'll check with Scotch. Annealing on the Benchsource is different kettle of fish to annealing by hand due to the speed and heat applied by the machine.

I'm all for buying new toys especially if they save time in the process.

Thanks very much.

Mike

Archived