.30-06 Valhalla.

Its been a while since I finished any full custom guns, due to the shop move, but the conveyor is rolling again, with a plethora of different guns all nearly done.

I,ve been waiting to get out and test this for a couple of weeks and not had chance. I always like to test as many as I can [reloading gear permitting ] as it gets me out... :lol:

This is a Valhalla action with fluted bolt and cam locks, in left hand. The bolt is coated.

IMG_2383_zpsf2ae2111.jpg

IMG_2384_zpsa9f1a416.jpg

It has a tactical handle and facetted shroud with the fine pitch thread. This ensures a silky smooth opening, and fired and unfired bolt lift cannot be told apart, its that well balanced.

20 MOA rail.

The barrel is a heavy varmint, fluted Bartlien 1 in 10" .

The barrelled action is finished in McMillan olive Cerakote to match one of the greens in the stock.

Screwcut 18mm x 1 and invisible capped. Mod is a Jet-z and the gun is a real pussycat to shoot with it on.

IMG_2385_zps6f3cb9b6.jpg

IMG_2386_zpse678b0a7.jpg

IMG_2389_zps5dc3fb68.jpg

The stock is a McMillan A5 and is pillar and devcon bedded, plus its fitted with my long action floorplate and a modified 300 win mag 5 shot AICS magazine.

IMG_2390_zps4f8e00f0.jpg

Trigger is a Jewell.

Took it up to Diggle today and bore sighted it in on a lovely but slightly breezy "A" range.

Fired two rounds to walk it onto a dot, then fired its first 5 round group.

IMG_2391_zps94fea44f.jpg

WoW Very nice as allways

Yes, and fox etc etc I believe.

A calibre thats always interested me ever since reading about Carlos Hathcock and some of his 1200 yard kills in Vietnam with one.

Its certainly got the engine room.

Very nice :) noticed the machined cheek-piece on the stock, did you do that too?

It came like that Mark, but its a modification I do regularly.

30-06 is an awesome round. Still massively popular in US. So much available for it and let's not forget it is the Parent Cartridge for a few very popular cartridges now doing the rounds. I still stalk with a 30-06 deer don't seem to complain ;-)

Very nice build, not too keen on the height of mounts but they are there for. Job I guess.

CZV

Ignore the mounts, they are fitted to the shop scope that fits every gun and picatinny rail I use. They are extra high so it can be used on an AR15.

30-06 is an awesome round. Still massively popular in US. So much available for it and let's not forget it is the Parent Cartridge for a few very popular cartridges now doing the rounds. I still stalk with a 30-06 deer don't seem to complain ;-)

Very nice build, not too keen on the height of mounts but they are there for. Job I guess.

CZV

The 30-06 is indeed a great cartridge,pretty well enough for all N American hunting,and much else.In fact ,it's so good that there have been rather few offspring that really could be considered very popular,especially outside USA.

The 35 Whelen has some advantages,The Ack Imp less so;the 30 Gibbs is now obscure,as is the 330 OKH;the 8-06 and 338-06 A square are available,though. Maybe I've missed a few.

Perhaps the 30-06 suffered a little more from the 308,which came close enough for most uses,in a slightly more hunter friendly package (shorter,lighter,less recoil but enough clout.)And target shooting restrictions sealed the deal.

The 30-06 though has had over a hundred years of popularity,and rightly so,and is still a top medium game hunting choice.

Archived