H4831sc vs ADI2213sc carbon fouling

Brad Y

Being a 'convict' we get a good supply of the powders made here. H4350, H4831sc, varget etc all are made here. But I and other shooters are wondering if the powder sold here is the same as the stuff sold overseas. Powder manufactured a long time ago is different in appearance to the new stuff. The new stuff is pretty much green, the older powder looks darker and possibly has more graphite to it. Its similar in colour to reloader powders.

Ive seen the reference on here to H4831sc as 'black gold'. Is it really black?

When we clean a barrel, we often have to resort to abrasive pastes to remove carbon. Solvents just dont do it. Hoppes, boretech, GM Tec and associated products- we have tried so many. Bronze brushes, nylon brushes, patches. Cleaning while the barrel is warm, cleaning it when its cold. The carbon on our domestic powders is so much harder to remove than imported powder. Iosso paste every 20-40 shots is needed to keep the carbon out. We dont read of overseas shooters having to do that just to get the carbon out of a barrel.

Brad,

My tub of Hodgdon 4831 sc is a grey greenish colour,bought here in UK within the last couple of years.Tub is marked 'Made in Australia,Packaged in USA' and has a small number 1032913 5155,which looks like some batch indicator.

george

Brad

short cut here is greyish colour (assuming you can find it)

regarding carbon build up - its no better or worse than any other powder in my rifles - though I now use N165 / N160 as I can't get SC….

Losso every 300 or so if theres a build up at the throat - I check with borescope

This is for WSM's by the way

Vihtavuori powders are a rather dark grey,going on black,without any green hint/tint-I have not used any Reloader series for decades. Norma,Nobel('scottish') too were (maybe are) a not dissimilar dark grey/black.

Laurie might well have more gen on this 'colour conundrum'.......

g

I might post up a side by side pic later tonight with RL 19 H4350 and H4831sc. You will be able to see the difference in colour. I struggle to see how people can really get this carbon out with anything but abrasive, and no way we can go through to 300 without a good scrub. Im back cleaning every 24 shots now to keep on top of it. Bronze brush, eliminator and a bit of elbow grease...

On the cleaning front try KG carbon remover or now I've gone over too Wipe out. The Wipe out is supper easy and great on emoting copper fouling as well.hope one of these are available, out there.

Archived