Alternatives to Reloder 17/Elcho17

Brillo

Like many .284 Win shooters I'm using RL17/Elcho 17 powder to push 180 grain Berger Hybrids and VLDs. Unfortunately, I've found that this powder is eroding the throat of my rifle at the rate of (roughly) 0.001" per 100 rounds. Other shooters I know using this powder are noticing the same rate of erosion. I'm told that this is one of the inherent problems with RL17/Elcho17. The trouble is, it does the business. I get good velocities and accuracy with less than 90% case fill.

I therefore have a choice, carry on with this powder and risk having to get a new barrel in a few months time or change the powder.

So, other than H4831SC, which is simply not available, what are my best alternatives without losing too much velocity and which will give me a bit more barrel life?

Thanks

I am also using the 180gr Hybrid in my 284 Win and am trying Viht N165. Initial load development results seems promising but am getting about 2880 fps with 57 grains. Still got a bit of load development to do but would prefer to use H4831SC (along with many others).

Personally if it works I would go along with it.

My .284 shot great up to 2200 rounds all with 52 grains of Rel17 and then I sold it.

It would still shoot a clean at 600 yards on the F class target when it went.

I doubt you would reliably be able to discern the added barrel life. My rifle stuck with the same seating depth all the way through and simply shot.

If you must play and wear your barrel further developing a new load try

H4350

N160

N165

N560

RS62

Cheers

Dave

1 thou per 100 shots isnt bad at all really. I have a 260 improved that grew 17 thou with 100 shots with 140 bergers and H4350. Just a soft barrel. Im happy though because its one of those rare barrels that make the shooter look like a genius. Just got to nurse it through the shoots that count and not waste it on week to week shooting.

Barrels are after all expendable items,,,,,,and throat erosion keeps smiths happy :lol:

Have now settled on N160 in my shehane on 180g vld seems the best option.

Have tried superformance and it works the same but is a bit dirty and hard to measure.

V

Archived