.300 AAC bolt action

MrCetrizine

So, I planned to have a lovely .300 AAC AR15 built but a recent family surprise means I have less spare cash for toys.

I still want a Blackout for several reasons but now I need to do it on a budget.

My plan B was a Remington 700 SPS in .300 AAC but my local RFD spoke to the importer and they can't get one.

So plan C and this is the question.

Do you think it would be possible to have a smith source a standard Remmy 700 SPS in .223 and rebarrel with a 16" 1:7 - 1:8 and chamber it in .300 AAC for less than £1200? Ideally around £1000.

The cost isn't the problem. The round is so short, you will most likely have problems making it feed from a std remmy 223 action.

You need a fireball action.

Bs ,

right , you need a 221 fireball rem700 , as its got a slightly different bolt head , tweaked so it ejects the shorter 221/300 whisper/BLK case , which IS shorter than the 223 case .

Or you could use say a Howa 223 action , have heard it works with the 300BLK .

BUT if you want this solely for subsonic use , I would use a Ruger 77/357 bolt gun , use 38spl case & lead 250gr bullets , its a 300BLK killer , ie better .

Later Chris

So what exactly would be the feed problem?

A .300 AAC AR15 runs full auto using .223 magazines and bolt group, the only change is the barrel and chamber.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I freely admit to not knowing a great deal, I'm just trying to understand how I can make this happen.

Opps , bloody reading too FAST , missed the Plan A part , just saw the plan B , ie the Bolt action Rem700 in 300BLK .

Thats why I said extraction issues , BUT have any of you reloaded for a subsonic 300BLK running out of a AR15 with a 12 inche or less barrel , ie the 220gr plus bullets , because , all I hear is its very difficult to get it subsonic & reliably cycle the AR15 action .

All I hear is you have to run one powder ONLY for it to work , and thats AA1680 , and thats IT , nothing else works the DI AR15s with heavy subs , ie 220gr plus .

In NZ , we donot have AA1680 , Opps .

However , if you use a straight pull AR15 , then you could use , loads they use in bolt guns etc , and you donot need a particular powder that works the action of a gas DI AR15 , ie cycles it properly .

Later Chris

Archived