New PCP Plinker

Ronin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bushnell elite 6500 scopes are good too, they focus down to 10 yards.

I have them on all my airguns and two .22 rifles now.

Is that a new feature? I see they are advetising that (on 2.5-16 anyway, 25yd for 4.5-30), but I have two and IIRC they don't focus under 40yd without adjustment.

I don't really like them either, something about the optics doesn't suit my eyes.

I'd echo Dave's comments about the Hawke, I bought one last year, for a properly cheap scope the image is great, it's light, build quality doesn't appear very rugged, but if you're not planning to knock it about it seems very good for the money.

Is that a new feature? I see they are advetising that (on 2.5-16 anyway, 25yd for 4.5-30), but I have two and IIRC they don't focus under 40yd without adjustment.

I don't really like them either, something about the optics doesn't suit my eyes.

I'd echo Dave's comments about the Hawke, I bought one last year, for a properly cheap scope the image is great, it's light, build quality doesn't appear very rugged, but if you're not planning to knock it about it seems very good for the money.

No not a new feature, some of them where bought second hand and are a few years old.

Mine focus down to 10 yards, dont forget to wind down the mag aswell as focus the parallax.

No not a new feature, some of them where bought second hand and are a few years old.

Mine focus down to 10 yards, dont forget to wind down the mag aswell as focus the parallax.

Ah I see what you mean by "focus" now, that's not what I call focussing!

If you wind down the mag you are just hiding the paralax error, while acheiving a sort of focus with a bigger depth of field aren't you?

The transition from wood to air bottle never seemed right to my eye.

Neither did the depth of the Air Wolf / Ranger stock - too "chunky"

The Steyr is "just right"

Ive got a little bit more to do on it yet - polish the internals - hammer and spring and change the scope to something more suitable.

But as far as air rifles go, in my view its about perfect.

Oh and its for greys, high greys…..

Thanks Andy, to be honest it was a rifle manufacturer I'd never considered as a sporter. I thought they only did target and FT rifles, how wrong was I........

Its a single shot, so may not suit everybody, they do make a 5 shot magazine version.

Pellet loading is a little fiddly, though thats probably down to me being used to large cartridges as opposed to a .17 sized hole.

Its a single shot, so may not suit everybody, they do make a 5 shot magazine version.

Pellet loading is a little fiddly, though thats probably down to me being used to large cartridges as opposed to a .17 sized hole.

the end of your last statement is a setup that, for the sake of decency, i'm going to refrain from taking advantage of!

the end of your last statement is a setup that, for the sake of decency, i'm going to refrain from taking advantage of!

Well you can talk after I nearly choked on my tea reading this quarters BDS Journal with your mullet peeping at me…. :P

Nice set up, great for back yard plinking. I Bought a Weihrauch HW100kt a few month ago, originally I wanted to replicate the full bores and my Anchutz .22 for back garden use, they all have Mil scopes so needed a Mil Mill FFP scope for this, searched for reasonably priced scope for a while and settled on a Falcon Menace 4-14x44. Ive shot it much more than I expected so bought a small divers bottle for it. As I've discover over the last month its incredibly accurate and a devastating rabbit control tool even more so than the Anchutz .22, PCPs are just so quiet. At 45m consistently puts pellet on pellet. The optics are good for the price, adjustments are dead on but because its FFP i just us the ret for drops as its on at any mag and leave the turrets alone. What barrels is on it Andy and did you test several different pellets or just jump to the JSBs?

Hi Dan

I did look at the HW100, but like the Daystate, I didn't like the aesthetics.

Nothing at all wrong with the way they operate or accuracy and I know I could have save 50% had I bought the HW.

I haven't chosen a scope for it yet, like the other choices, i'll look at the Falcon.

Barrel is standard Steyr, the only thing I've done to it is lap the bore with Losso and screwcut it for the mod.

I understand the Steyrs work even better if the barrels are free floated (like any centerfire), - the barrel on mine passes through the forward section of the stock in a close fitting alloy "bush" which is machined into the casting, I may open this up a few thou,

I may try a Lothar, CZ or BSA barrel in it too - they are available in 177 from a UK source and slightly smaller diameter than the stock Steyr tube, id' have to sleeve the portion that is held in the "action"block but thats no big deal.

Though the way this barrel shoots as is, it may be a while before I do this experiment..

Mtc scopes are pretty good for air rifles. I had a taipan 6-24x50 on my daystate mk3, then it went onto my weihrauch hw66 and then onto my tikka m595 until I sold the rifle along with it. Couldn't fault the scope for the money.

I'm at the other end of the scale

I have the hatsan AT44-10

Got it new for less money than price of many other Marques 2nd hand

It was only for mucking bout so I couldn't justify more £

I love it .... Does what I want and lot of gun / fun for the cash

I also have an old wheirauch hw35 that I had to practice off shooting sticks in the garden .

Idea was to replicate the bigger rifle with bit o jump & recoil

Must admit loving plinking with a springer again

Paul

Well you can talk after I nearly choked on my tea reading this quarters BDS Journal with your mullet peeping at me…. :P

Ha, that's the only photo they could use as apparently my "#### da police" t-shirt in the other pics was deemed too offensive.... No offense to any police officers, I just happen to be a huge fan of 90's gangsta rap. But I bet if you're being honest with yourself, it was the my shooting scores that made you choke wasn't it :-)

Very nice STYER :)

here is m y PCP plinker .... .22 mk11 rapid 12ftlbs

imagejpg1_zpsccb2b0c5.jpg

Cheers

Now you've posted a Rapid, Del boy will be drooling all over it...

D

Your scores ,,,,yeah they were "adequate" :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, that's the only photo they could use as apparently my "#### da police" t-shirt in the other pics was deemed too offensive.... No offense to any police officers, I just happen to be a huge fan of 90's gangsta rap. But I bet if you're being honest with yourself, it was the my shooting scores that made you choke wasn't it :-)

NWA straight outa Compton!

Been thinking about going back to air rifle, I did have an AA S410 carbine with Twink silencer, had great fun with it, very accurate too, easy 1.5" at 75m, used to charge it to 140 as this seemed optimum accuracy for about 50 full power shots with very tight groups. Before that had a HW80, big heavy accurate springer but could be 'hold sensitive'. Before that had a Webley Meteor .177, which was my first air rifle from when I was 15 and only sold it about 3 years ago.

Been thinking about going back to air rifle, I did have an AA S410 carbine with Twink silencer, had great fun with it, very accurate too, easy 1.5" at 75m, used to charge it to 140 as this seemed optimum accuracy for about 50 full power shots with very tight groups. Before that had a HW80, big heavy accurate springer but could be 'hold sensitive'. Before that had a Webley Meteor .177, which was my first air rifle from when I was 15 and only sold it about 3 years ago.

Hi . A customer gave me a little meteor mk3 with little scope on top . I looked it up made in 1969-1973 older than i . Going to treat it to new spring / piston , got a stock blank ill make for it - when i get time , i was soo thankful as mainley its .22 and own 3x .177 happy days ;)

• 6 months later...

good job Andy:-0

loving the scope

thought about rolling out with the ziess victory on a battered 10/22 I have been given for a laugh myself!

very nice bit of kit!

Ive recently got myself a s410 after about 10yeas of not having a airgun & after a few teething problems where I thought hey perhaps my memory of how accurate they were was a bit optimistic I fianly have it on the button!

all internals were polished and reset to 11.7 with jsbs and it was still about a 50p size mess of a group at 20 yds!

took the silencer of and it absolutely drills now!:-)

(drilled out the baffles for the win on the moddy!)

great fun ratting and on the squirrels

cheers Andy

• 2 months later...

Out with my boy this afternoon, set up a target at 40 yds with the Steyr, just fitted a 6-24 Nikko Target master scope.

IMG_2586_zpsw8gnodly.jpg

He managed pretty good

5 shots, circle is an inch

IMG_2587_zpsrrepr86g.jpg

My attempt

IMG_2588_zpsgklvtpnm.jpg

Im liking the PCP, not quite there with accuracy, but its going in the right direction.

Free floated the barrel after the session, yet to see how thats affected the groups as the wind got up.

Gonna play with an old 17 cal CZ barrel too, machine it to fit, see if thats any good.. ;)

Your lad has certainly grown fast bud.

How you find time to machine fine rifles that achieve far beyond expectations, fit in a job that pays the bills and have quality time with the kids I don't know. Let me into the secret please.

Had several magpies in my garden this afternoon. Sod the paper get your lad onto song bird conservation :D

Archived