passing a deer cal for fox as well as deer

bigun

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank's for your concern about my spelling, grammer and my stalking places to fill Vim.

I did'nt want to appear over educated or use any big words in case you could'nt understand. The stalking places have all been filled now regardless of your mate

Paul

y is it you are arguing with vim and yet you chose to publicly attack a member that has not even posted on this thread???

talk about being antagonistic, :lol: and this type of thing gets out of hand very fast, especially when longshot reads this,i would say he is obliged to respond

ATB

Colin ;)

POOF: Maybe, but you will never know. ******* could'nt get the measure of his own willy with a tape measure and would'nt know a good deal if it bit him the arse as i posted on pfs but it got pulled becouse he did'nt want everyone to know the truth. All this boils down to you arsewipe is your giveing duff advise to someone who needs facts.

Paul

and again

It`s your lot Gaz the target boy`s that are being uncivil ;)

Vim who are 'my lot' ? You obviously haven't got a clue what I shoot so if I was you i would just keep to the facts only and stop trying to wind peopleup because it won't last long :lol:

It`s your lot Gaz the target boy`s that are being uncivil ;)

I would take this as being that I am a' target boy'. I couldn't care less who shoot targets and who shoot animals this forum is for people who enjoy being out enjoying there sport. If you dislike my tone then it's because I am getting very bored of 1 or 2 people on this forum who just like to cause trouble.

If they carry on they won't be on here for much longer :lol:

Now if you want to get back to the topic , do just that or don't post.

why does every fecker fall out on my posts ;) is it becouse im black :lol:

I have a 6.5 x 55 thats passed for fox and deer - the exact wording is as follows:-

The 6.5 x 55 rifle and ammuntition to which this certificate relates shall be used for the destruction of foxes and zeroing on any land which the holder of this certificate has permission.

The 6.5 x 55 rifle and ammuntition to which this certificate relates shall be used for Deer stalking and zeroing on any land which the holder of this certificate has permission.

the reason which i gave for using a 6.5 on foxes, was that i quite often shoot on open hillsides in windy conditions and i felt the heavier bullet of the 6.5 would buffer the wind better and therefore make it a safer shot, than using my .223 with only a 50grn bullet - FAO agreed and the rest is history

i can shoot my 270 WSM on any land i have permission on. day or night.

in fact i sent my license in for a variation,and when it came back it was wrong, they had forgot to put fox on my license for my 6mm.

so i rang them up saying i was of out that night and needed to take my foxing rifle, so i asked if i could use the 6mm and they said no as the condition was not on my license.

but they did say you have fox on your license for the 270 WSM so i would be OK.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Guys,

May I ask all of you what you consider a suitable fox calibre?

I undertand Col48 has a .270, I know of one person who has a 300wsm for foxing.

But if we were asked to go out and do a it of foxing only, how many of us would reach for a calibre bigger tha 6mm?

Its an honest question - just wondering how many peoploe actually fox with these bigger calibres.

GB

Guys,

But if we were asked to go out and do a it of foxing only, how many of us would reach for a calibre bigger tha 6mm?

Its an honest question - just wondering how many peoploe actually fox with these bigger calibres.

GB

i have used the 270 a couple of times.

1 when i did not have permission to use the 6mm

and a few more when i was putting together my 6mm

its not a rifle i would reach for for foxing. but if i was going stalking and then foxing i would use the 270 WSM

but apart form that i think you should have a dedicated fox/varmint caliber and my personal choice would be a 6mm but may stretch to the new 6.5 x 47

ATB

Colin :lol:

Guest wireviz

It looks like i am a popular chap seems some people don't like my opinions on how much or what price some one should pat for stalking .But i can and will mention that i have helped plenty of people get open tickets because i have more than my fare share of ground in fact i have given more than 2000 acres away so that it will help friends and associates get ground .My advice Bob is get the one calibre and have it open completely they would be 243 6.5 or 25.06 and sell that crap 204 :D With regards getting it open your mate Remmy will get it open as i wouldn't want to come between you both and i am sure he don't like me i am to honest for him. ;)

After a few month's and lots of letters later i have my .270 cleared for FOX/DEER, they didn't like the fact i had all the facts, and there is no reason why they cannot pass a large calibre for fox.

Get in touch with the BASC, here is a email i had from them on the matter:

The “fox whilst deer stalking condition” is unnecessarily restrictive, against home office guidance and common sense. It prevents night shooting of foxes and to be honest does it mean that you have to shoot a deer prior to shooting a fox to prove that you were stalking!?? The wording is ambiguous. It is essentially inane and unenforceable and I get the impression that police use this condition where they think that larger calibre rifles are overpowered and therefore inhumane; but of course dead is dead, you cannot kill something twice!

The primary concern for licensing staff is whether a calibre is powerful enough and as a .270 can kill all species of deer then it is powerful enough to kill a fox. As we both know there are no differences with taking a shot at a deer or fox, the thought process is the same, the same heart/lung shot applies and a safe backstop has to be present for both.

A typical defence provided by the police is where people own fox calibre rifles such as your .222. They usually say “you can’t use your .270 it’s overpowered and you already have a .222 for fox and vermin so use that instead” – well I would say that you cannot carry two rifles whilst stalking and to leave one in the car presents security issues. Not to mention seeing a fox and having to muck around changing rifles in order to adhere to your conditions.

So get a letter together and fight your corner :D

Thanks for the reply njc ;) The wording on your certificate is very important and failer to comply with the restrictions would result in a revoke of that licence.

My understanding of that wording means that you don't have an open ticket njc so therefore you would be unable to accompany me stalking as well as foxing unless you used my gun..

The reason being that the land has never been viewed by an officer.

Now Blob are things starting to become a little more clearer for you regarding the 25.06 and the 204 and having or acquiring an open certificate??

Good. You read it as I do then. My centrefires are for cleared ground only, but I can shoot fox whenever or Deer in season. I can shoot fox under open conditions with my HMR if I ever need to get a job done quickly for someone (ie can't get the police to check the ground fast enough).

I don't know what to make of the use of rifles thing. I was under the impression that you could use the firearm of a landowner or tennant as long as you are under direct supervision. Can tennant can be taken as the holder of the shooting rights? That's the bit I'm unsure of :D

Finally, well done kip! I've never understood why a large calibre would be unsuitable for night use or fox shooting? Any gun needs a backstop. I can't see what difference it makes whether it's a HMR or a .50BMG. As long as you can see where the bullet will end up and can be certain it will stay in the ground once it's passed through the target then there's no real issue is there?

Guys,

GB

I use .223, .243 and .308 on fox, all on my ticket with no conditions attached. Nine times out of ten I'll take a .243 with me regardless of the quarry, fox or deer. Reason for my choice is that it is the round I've used the most whether lamping or stalking and an 85gr soft point will take down any legal quarry in the UK with a well placed shot. If I'm stalking with .308 I had fox put on my ticket to keep things legal, although the feo gave it to me without the stalking condition, it's no good spotting Toby and having to leave him because you can't legally shoot him with the rifle you're carrying when the opportunity presents itself. As the headkeeper says, "if it shows it goes". Not much point in reporting back to him you saw a fox but you're not allowed to shoot it legally.

Vim suggests that you shoudn't be allowed larger calibres after dark, can't be on safety grounds surely ,as all shots taken with c/f's are suposed to be safe if I remember correctly. A lot of professionals , stalkers/keepers only use one rifle which is generally 6mm+ and are more than happy with their choice because it doesn't limit them when an opportunity arises. If he wishes to carry a different cal. for every job then that's his take on it, but leave the rest of us to make our own minds up please.

Regards Pete.

just to let you all know iv sent of all the paper work yesterday so lets see what happens ,let the fun begin :rolleyes: i will let you know what they say as it goes on could take months :D but im in no real rush ;) i am really but dont tell them that :lol:

Guest wireviz

Best of luck Biggun i am sure with good suport you will do fine mate and get what you want this time dont buckel. Make sure you have what you want and why you want it so they have no reason to hold you back. :rolleyes:

cheers for that wirevize ,will do :lol: just got off the phone with George Wallace :D he helped to write the fire arms act :D he says the police can not say no to me having the 25-06... 270.. 308 ect for foxing at night and will tell them so if they try not to give it me :rolleyes: nice one George Wallace..so its looking good so far ..i love a good fight :D going to be telling the feo in a bit just waiting for him to ring me back ..should be fun when i tell him i have George Wallace on my side ;) George said i cant really do much if they say no it means i will just have to put in a complent about mr paul dale head man at staffordshire fire arms dept ..he should love that :D any more complents and he may lose his job says george ..shame if he does ..

Guest wireviz

Fo anyone wanting an open ticet or any firearms problems look at the aricule in countrymaids weekly this week our vim is a star man and the lawyer has used his case to shw you can get even hardend criminals FIREARMS CERTIFICATES. :rolleyes:;):lol:

cheers for that wirevize ,will do :lol: just got off the phone with George Wallace :D he wrote the fire arms act :D says the police can not say no to me having the 25-06... 270.. 308 ect for foxing at night and will tell them so if they try not to give it me :rolleyes: nice one George Wallace..so its looking good so far ..i love a good fight :D going to be telling the feo in a bit just waiting for him to ring me back ..should be fun when i tell him i have George Wallace on my side ;) George said i cant really do much if they say no it means i will just have to put in a complent about mr paul dale head man at staffordshire fire arms dept ..he should love that :D any more complents and he may lose his job says george ..shame if he does ..

I tried namedropping BASC when I had a problem with firearms licensing. The answer was "Go ahead but it'll be no use, remember it's me that issues your certificate, not BASC."

<_<

and theres me thinking vim was a good boy , <_<

Archived