passing a deer cal for fox as well as deer

bigun

spoke to the police yesterday about me having a deer rifle 25-06 for deer as well as foxs as im about to send the forms of this week coming ..they said i would not get it for foxs as well only when out hunting deer can i use it on foxs which means day light hours only .so what if i travel miles away to shoot some deer and foxs later on in the night do i leave the .204 in the car and hope its still there when i get back to the motor many hours later ? if the ground is passed for 25-06 it should not be a problem should it ?? i want the 25-06 for long range fox shooting aswell becouse the .204 does drift a bit in high wind ,plus its far far safer and better if i only take one gun or it means i will have to travel miles back home to fetch the other one ..as i dont like leaveing guns in cars in the middle of no were ..not a good idea is it really..im trying to be a safe gun owner here and not let guns fall in to the wrong hands which may happen if left in a car ..

any thoughts on the matter would be good in changeing the police minds ..cheers bigun

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spoke to the police yesterday about me having a deer rifle 25-06 for deer as well as foxs as im about to send the forms of this week coming ..they said i would not get it for foxs as well only when out hunting deer can i use it on foxs which means day light hours only .so what if i travel miles away to shoot some deer and foxs later on in the night do i leave the .204 in the car and hope its still there when i get back to the motor many hours later ? if the ground is passed for 25-06 it should not be a problem should it ?? i want the 25-06 for long range fox shooting aswell becouse the .204 does drift a bit in high wind ,plus its far far safer and better if i only take one gun or it means i will have to travel miles back home to fetch the other one ..as i dont like leaveing guns in cars in the middle of no were ..not a good idea is it really..im trying to be a safe gun owner here and not let guns fall in to the wrong hands which may happen if left in a car ..

any thoughts on the matter would be good in changeing the police minds ..cheers bigun

hi

i can use all my rifles for fox (270 wsm) my - has a 300 wsm and another with a 7mm wsm all can be used on fox.

i would tell the police exactly what you have just said on here

so what if i travel miles away to shoot some deer and Fox's later on in the night do i leave the .204 in the car and hope its still there when i get back to the motor many hours later ?

but i would word it, i travel to allot of friends ground to shoot deer and foxes. so can you please put it in writing that you are happy for me to leave a rifle in the car wile I'm out foxes.

but you can only say this if it is true, as we can not condone lieing to the police, but i take it this is your problem anyway as you did mention it first.

ATB

Colin <_<

I have the same problem.

I wanted my 2506 for fox and vermin but cleveland police would only let me have it for fox while out stalking.

If I am long range bunny bashing all my stalking gear goes with me and I am stalking deer.

If your long range foxing its probably before dark anyway, so take your stalking gear with you and assuming you have permission on that land for both fox and deer you should have no problems.

I know it's a bit of a blancmange but it's what I have to do.

Andy.

My 6.5x55 is cleared for Fox and Deer. I wrote a letter stating that I often shoot away from home and that security for two guns is a problem. I often go lamping after a stalk, and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a rifle in the car in a remote location at night. It come back without question, so I suggest that if you're having trouble you do as said above and ask for it in writing that they are happy for you to leave one rifle unattended in your car whilst shooting the other gun. Add that you wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, but if they say it's ok then it must be <_<

Rob, you can have a 25-06 for fox if you want it and your ground has been passed for that caliber. The home office guidelines do not preclude its use on fox and it has been stated by the head of firearms licensing for acpo that there is no such thing as over kill.

Please ignore stupid and irrisponsible suggestions from the likes of vim who in my oppinion does nothing to further the cause of the serious and responsible gune owners. Judging by some of his comments on this subject, the subject of "close shave" and on african hunting in general he would be as well getting a job with "mothers against guns" .

Guest varmartin
Just out of intrest Rifleman how many rifles do you own and what are there purposes??

Vim...if someone asked me that question I would say ...`several`..and for `shooting things` <_<

Hi

I would suggest a sensible reasoned proposal to your FO, I have both fox and deer on my .243, I can take it foxing or I can take it stalking. However my .308 and my .300win mag are both foxing whilst stalking which to be honest is not a bad thing. Although dead is dead, I am of the opinion that anything above 6mm (just my opinion) is too much gun for foxing alone <_<

Your reasoned argument about leaving a different rifle in the car is a good start, it not sensible and no logical FO would condone such actions, look at this as a starting point and I would certainly do as recomended and speak to BASC.

vim your right i was going for the 7mm but was told by some that i would not get it ,but a 25-06 vssf remmy 700 came up at the right price and has done less than 150 rounds down it ..so im well happy with it and its came of some body i know and trust :D you have one so it cant be all that bad :D its got to be staffordshire police as they make up there own rules and change them when it suits them ..im putting down for deer /fox/vermin :P and its up to them to say no ..i will be asking for it in writeing the reason they say no ..i will take what they give me just so the rifle is sitting in my safe then i will take it up with them and they can take there time over it if they want becouse deer is out of season soon ;) i will be sending a letter along with it stateing the reasons why i want fox on it and a few things the lads on here have said :D

what do you think of this ..my letter to the police ;)

im writing this letter to ask for the 25-06 to be used on fox as well as deer .reasons being

I will be going lamping and looking for foxs after a evening stalk, and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a centerfire rifle in the unattended car in a remote location at night. unless you are happy for me to leave one rifle unattended in my car whilst shooting the other gun. i wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, but if you say it's ok then it must be ? and if you are happy with me leaving the rifle in the motor could you please put it in writeing in your letter that you are happy with this arrangment..im trying to be a safe gun owner and not let guns fall in to the wrong hands which may happen if left in a unattended car in a remote location.. its just another reason why i think its better to have the 25-06 passed for fox as well as deer yours bigun :P

if you can add to make this letter better do so :D

With respect i might add. I asked the amount of guns for a reason and all will become clear to those that are involved :D

Blob you have that 25.06 because in truth its not exactly what your after now is it ;) You`ll be able to use it on that ground remmyboy mentions all right but when i invite you out foxing with me you`ll have to use my gun because 99% of my ground has never been cleared and it will be at night..

You must think every fecker`s stupid remmy boy from what you make out especially after the available stalking you advertised ;):P:D

Oh and watch your spelling and grammar or we`ll be getting more complaints.. Stupid eh :D

A quick question for you njc. Are you allowed to use the 6.5 just for fox as in lamping or whilst stalking only?

Exact wording is:-

6. The .223 & 6.5 rifles, sound moderators & ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for fox control, muntjac & chinese water deer control (.223), deer and fox control (6.5) and for zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police......etc....etc....

I take that as fox or deer, whenever I want to use it but over cleared ground only.

what do you think of this ..my letter to the police ;)

if you can add to make this letter better do so :D

How does this sound....

Dear mr (whatever the head of dept is called)

I am writing this letter to request a change of conditions for my .25-06 rifle. I would like to be able to use the rifle for Fox as a seperate condition to Deer rather than be limited to Foxes whilst stalking. The reason for my request is;

I will be going lamping and looking for foxes after an evening of Deer stalking, sometimes a long way from home or safe storage facilities. With my current conditions the only possible way to do this is to leave a rifle unattended in my car. This is because I cannot legally use a stalking rifle after dark so need to take a seperate rifle for both Fox and Deer. Sometimes I park in a remote location that offers little security. I am not comfortable with that arrangement so am unable to undertake the requsts of my land owner. This causes me considerable problems when trying to adhere to the conditions of my permission.

Please consider my request for the change of conditions. I feel it is a reasonable one as 1. The security of my firearms isn't something that I am prepared to compromise, and 2. The home office guidelines state that any rifle up to 6.5mm may be considered a reasonable request for Fox control.

Please contact me if you wish to discuss this matter in more detail.

Regards,

bigun

you don't have an open ticket njc so therefore you would be unable to accompany me stalking as well as foxing unless you used my gun..

But wouldn't that be contravening the conditions of both your certificates? If your gun isn't on his certificate (unless its an estate rifle) then it's an offence for him to shoot it and for you to allow it.

njc110381 THATS VERY GOOD ;) i have saved it :D keep them coming lads ,can any body add anything to njc110381 letter that may make it that little bit better ...going to be hard i know but its all going to help ..cheers for replying everybody ...bigun ...

You`ll be able to use it on that ground remmyboy mentions all right but when i invite you out foxing with me you`ll have to use my gun because 99% of my ground has never been cleared and it will be at night..

You must think every fecker`s stupid remmy boy from what you make out especially after the available stalking you advertised ;):P:D

Oh and watch your spelling and grammar or we`ll be getting more complaints.. Stupid eh :D

A quick question for you njc.

Thank's for your concern about my spelling, grammer and my stalking places to fill Vim.

I did'nt want to appear over educated or use any big words in case you could'nt understand. The stalking places have all been filled now regardless of your mate whatever his name is.

Paul

Paul :D that's a bungee poof`s name ;) I see Longshit got the measure of you alright. Bit upsetting when you get found out eh, never mind :D

You listen to me Paul if you wrote backwards and without full stops i`d still be able to understand and make out whether your a Nobba or not :P

I`m led to believe Davek that our Blob would have to be accompanied whilst using my gun on my permission if an invitation ever took place.

The last time i spoke to the authorities regarding "one gun" for fox and Deer control i mentioned acquiring the 308 calibre. The reply was they would not under normal circumstances pass a 308 just for fox control however my application would be looked on favorably due to the fact of me owning one Centrefire.

I never did get the 308, poxy calibre anyway..

POOF: Maybe, but you will never know. ** Offensive name calling deleted by admin ** All this boils down to you arsewipe is your giveing duff advise to someone who needs facts.

Paul

Archived