First stalking rifle - £1,500 budget - advice please

Blasers are the ultimate marmite rifle.

I've owned 3. It's my view that they are possibly the worst rifle on the market from a reliability point of view. My first Blaser struck light on 10% of occasions. Both the others, including a 338, struck light on occasion....but they're neat and little and come apart into easy travel sized pieces. They're also stunningly accurate (when they fire!).

Blaser advocates will usually, once they've got past defending their massive spend, admit a light strike rate that they ignore.

(As regards the Blaser 'danger' claims; I don't know, I don't think I ever got past a point where I stopped wondering if the bolt assembly would come back - if it's in your mind it's there for every shot As a bit of related but different side data: the TAC2 was binned from the Brit 338 trial because the rifle had two safety faults laid bare on the trial: the magazine could bear up on the firing sear thingy in such a way that it prevented the rifle firing; but the rifle would then fire as the mag was dropped. Similarly, if the little upward stud above the trigger got gunked in the down position, the rifles would fire on closing. Both faults were denied by Blaser initially, but subsequently admitted. The rifles were thrown out of the trial immediately.)

Surprised it took you 3 of them to confirm your hatred, i'd have spotted on the first! I've had them in 22-250, .243, 25-06 (2off) and a .308. Fired 1000's of rounds. Only had 1 problem (50 actually) , when i f/l resized used brass from another source and didnt set the die right. 50 rounds which wouldnt allow the bolt to close, didnt do that again.

Only moved away from them because some git built me such an accurate 47l on an old sako 75, but i do miss the cocker/decocker when hunting in the truck.

Hi grimrecruiter

Great, welcome to the wonderful world of rifle hunting!

Here's my two pence worth.

I'd say that most modern rifles will do the job as stalking rifles. Personally I've used Tikka T3, Remington 600/700, CZ, Howa, Winchester, Kongsberg (Lakelander) and Blaser for hunting over the past 21 years. All were accurate with the right load, sometimes with factory loads. None of them made me a better hunter over others.

I currently shoot a Blaser R8 and like the system, but at the end of the day it's just a tool and it's more expensive than your stated budget.

I'd say go for whatever rifle you like the handling and looks of and a calibre you can shoot confidently.

Make sure you spend good time getting to know the rifle. We probably all spend a lot of time thinking up the perfect combinations of rifles, calibres scopes etc. We mustn't forget to spend time practicing.

You could also consider buying used. http://www.guntrader.co.uk will give you a good idea of what's out there.

Over the years I've had a preference for heavy barrels, primarily because I like the look of them. But, I'm moving back to sporter barrels as they're plenty accurate and generally speaking a lot lighter. If you carry your rifle more than you shoot it, it's probably a good idea to go for a sporter weight barrel.

Calibre wise, I would stay clear of the .243 if you have any ambitions of going abroad. In some (if not many) European countries .243 is only legal for species up to and including roe.

.308 is a great all-round calibre that I use myself, but keep in mind that it's not accepted in some European countries (definitely France) because it's a 'military' calibre. It's another consideration if you plan on travelling.

Good luck with you purchase and have fun!

Christian

Sorry to have ignited again the great Blaser debate - it is out of my budget (thank god). :ph34r:

I will look at the Sauer as a switch barrel makes a lot of sense and I might be able to get a deal.

List looks like this in no particular order:

Sako Hunter / Varmint Laminate Stainless

Mauser M03 (If the one goes out there at £1800 that blows this one as I understand they are now well over £2k for new stock)

Mauser M12 Extreme

Sauer 202 Synthetic

all in .308

Graham

Graham just got a Sako 85 laminated varmint with a 20" barrel and it's a tidy little gun. Buy I do agree with Gary I wouldn't want to use a 308 for foxing, but each to there own

Give me a 25-06 R93 and an 8x56 and i'll drop anything (wild and legal) in the uk within 300y first shot!

You've rather opened mouth and inserted foot there (tongue firmly in cheek) - Prove it on a mouse/weasel/stoat/mink etc. iconfrancisku9.gif

Mature Wild Boar at 300yds with a .25-06, or a big loved up woodland Red Stag - seriously marginal I'd say.

You've rather opened mouth and inserted foot there (tongue firmly in cheek) - Prove it on a mouse/weasel/stoat/mink etc. iconfrancisku9.gif

Mature Wild Boar at 300yds with a .25-06, or a big loved up woodland Red Stag - seriously marginal I'd say.

I did shoot a ferret while lamping one night, the pictures caused uproar on stalking directory. From memory it was about 150m with a .243 r93. Tough little bugger took the 70gn nosler very well. He had been causing problems so he had to go..

All depends upon the location and undergrowth I guess. I shot a mink once at considerable range (>200yds) also with .243, but it was on a wooden bridge at the time and easily visible.

In all seriousness, I still say .308W is the best all-round calibre for Europe, France excepted - is the .308 ban in France still extant, I know they have relaxed the rules on other "military" calibres.

[edit]

I have ascertained via European FaceySpaceyBook friends that .308W is permissible in France, but it involves a more complex (i.e. more paperwork) category than other hunting calibres.

Surprised it took you 3 of them to confirm your hatred, i'd have spotted on the first!

Well, yes and no. The first was sooo bad, and I was still sufficiently in the spell of the hype and its daintiness that I thought "surely it can't have been that bad? I must have been unlucky" and tried another - both were returned as unfit for purpose and replaced with Sauer 202s. The third? Well that was free, and nothing beats free :)

Buy what ever new modern rifle you like and feel comfortable with they will all shoot well enough to stalk deer with. Remember it is called stalking. Buy a good quality European scope and enjoy your self. As for calibre .308 loaded with 150gr bullets is a fine round for all the deer found in the UK. I have shot all deer species and boar in the uk with .308. It does less meat damage than a .243 and is in my mind a more accurate round. I now use .270 cos i'm special and i was in a class in school with all the other special kids :)

Regards Sean

I have ascertained via European FaceySpaceyBook friends that .308W is permissible in France, but it involves a more complex (i.e. more paperwork) category than other hunting calibres.

Thanks for clarifying DW58.

Apologies for any confusion Graham.

Thank you all for your views. It is really unusual and pleasant to be on the end of constructive advice. Some forum members on other forums would rather get into a slagging match over their views than offer decent thoughts.

As regards the Sauer - Something else to consider and with Steve Beatty on my doorstep a possibility.

Few seem to have any issues with the Sako except to say that they feel it is slightly overpriced. I have secured prices for .308 on the Grey Laminated Stainless of between £1,430 to £1,452.

I must say that from a looks point of view the laminated stock on the Sako is my personal favourite and if it will shoot consistently within the 4" sweet zone which I suspect is not going to trouble it much is looking a likely buy.

At the CLA I will be handling all the suggestions - Once again thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

You can try before you buy should you find what you are after at Steve Beattys' Ivythorn Sporting, proper service.

Surprised it took you 3 of them to confirm your hatred, i'd have spotted on the first! I've had them in 22-250, .243, 25-06 (2off) and a .308. Fired 1000's of rounds. Only had 1 problem (50 actually) , when i f/l resized used brass from another source and didnt set the die right. 50 rounds which wouldnt allow the bolt to close, didnt do that again.

Only moved away from them because some git built me such an accurate 47l on an old sako 75, but i do miss the cocker/decocker when hunting in the truck.

Did the exact same thing with the brass. The de cocker is very handy if a bit ugly looking. Other than that I can't fault my lrs2. Insanely accurate and has accounted for hundreds of foxes without issue as well as 4-500 rabbits. 2000 rounds through it and still as accurate as the day I got it.

Did it at at the weekend! Nearly joined the darkside but pulled back at the last minute. Bolt and switch barrel = New M03.

Managed to get one at £400-00 less than the cheapest internet price that I could find. It's in .308 and had a set trigger thrown in and a half price Mauser Long Rifle Case at 1/2 price.

Scope chosen (Swarovski), sling chosen (NIGGELOH BACKPACK SLING) and Mod under consideration.

Thanks for all the advice - as suggested I bought what I liked and what I fely suited both my use and budget (slightly bust the budget LOL).

Well, I guess after umpteen threads/polls across several forums (at least three to my knowledge) and the chance to try before you buy, you've done your homework with the aid of much conflicting advice from all quarters. Hope you're pleased with the result and get many good years of service.

A photo or two would be nice.

Grim,

To be quite honest I had a good demo on the M03 by Mauser at the Jagd und Hund as Dortmund soon after they first released it. I was mighty impressed. I think for an off the peg rifle you've made an excellent choice.

Speak with Mauser direct about a good set of Appel roll on roll off mounts.

If you decide on another calibre latter then I can recommend 243 for roe. Its my go to cal for roe. 87 grain Hornardy V-Max with RL15. I zero to 200 metres and shoot same point of aim from 40m out to 225m. Something to consider once you've got used to the 308.

• 3 months later...

Blaser r93/r8 is one of the better, if not best stalking/hunting rifles around. I used one in .308 for 4 years, using 125 gn bullets it killed everything very dead. Bit messy on smaller deer because of the ballistic tips charachteristics. Good fallow killer but would sometimes damage roe and munjac beyond economical repair.

You mention foxing, .308 is not suitable for lobbing around in the dark, you'll end up missing things and bouncing bullets off into the darkness, not a criticism, just an observation.

You need 2 rifles now, welcome to the club!

Oh, and a 3rd for pigs...

Dont have a blaser now but that might change soon, sako would be good choice. The 85 laminated varmint fluted at 20" is strong and accurate, get the right scope set at the right height and you'll kill deer very efficiently.

Hello Gary,

I've just come to the point of 2 rifles! Gonna sell my AE mkIII for an AR15 for foxing and something like a sako 85 in .308 for deer.

But a lighter 20" sako! :-)

Archived