Lawrence Precision Titanium Zodiac Moderator.

Work drew me to Nottingham recently; I used the opportunity to take up an invitation from Simon Lawrence to drop in and have a look at his titanium moderators.

20140629_120400_zpsf1deca6e.jpg

Simon showcased the production of his flagship Zodiac model, shown here fitted to my DTA, and adding only 10cm to the barrel length:

20140411_101258_zps1bb52cfb.jpg

But firstly,

WHY TITANIUM?

Well, for the same sort of weight as Aluminium, you get a non-rusting, non-gas cutting moderator that's stronger than steel.

Meaning, in the pic above, a rifle that doesn't have its centre of gravity ruined by a large lump of steel hung on the front, nor give up any robustness.

Think that's all though:

Titanium only gives you a mod that weighs about the same as an aluminium mod, but is stronger than steel and doesn't rust or gas cut (!)

MATERIAL TRADE-OFFs

Whether choosing steel, aluminium or titanium; each material has its own pros and cons.

Most of us have probably owned a T8 at some point; the UK pioneering mod, and very quiet too; but there's something clunky about a suppressor built to a similar 'feel' to a motorbike exhaust silencer; and there's the weight and rust issue of steel. Switching to aluminium; well that doesn't translate in many minds as the 'right' material in terms of durability and strength for a device handling high temp & pressure gas; you trade better weight and handling for decreased durability and robustness. Either solution works brilliantly, but there are trade-offs. What if you want the best of everything? Titanium is the answer; but the trade-off is now 'cost'; the metal is more expensive and it requires more machine time to manufacture components.

ef34b391-8a02-4292-81ff-843cc8a44200_zps00c6ba01-eea5-4dfc-aa0d-2c90d253d138_zps

THE CONNOISSEUR'S CHOICE ?

I've been puzzled by the notable haste that some on the internet make in their rush to criticise Lawrence mods. Yes, the mods are expensive, but the reasons for that are obvious - materials and machine time. But why the criticism?

I can only say that, having handled and used one extensively, I can think of no reason other than jealousy. The same mentality that runs a key down the side of a Bentley: The mod offers the best combination of design and physical attributes on the market.

To the connoisseur willing to pay for 'the best'; the Lawrence Zodiac delivers it.

There's a simple delight to using a beautifully precision made and efficient mod that feels like aluminium but could be used to knock in nails!

20140629_120400_zpsf1deca6e.jpg

The Zodiac pictured, for reference, next to an A-TEC CMM-6 and a SAK.

(The Zodiac adds less length to the rifle than either the A-TEC or the SAK!)

20140629_121622_zpse521e776.jpg

20140629_121428_zps98b288f4.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does it compare to a Jet-Z? As far as I'm Concerned are the 'ones to beat' for performance and durability...and affordability...!

Best wishes

Finman

How does it compare to a Jet-Z? As far as I'm Concerned are the 'ones to beat' for performance and durability...and affordability...!

.....the standard Bentley key stroke :rolleyes::) We've already had to delete a few comments from some of the people who seem to track Lawrence mods across the internet and go out of their way to criticise them wherever they pop up on the internet (not including you in that Finman :) ).

Yes, the jet-z is excellent; I've owned one. The advantages of titanium were outlined above; it's a cost decision for the individual - rather like a Bentley being reviewed and people popping up to say how much they prefer their Prius - rather misses the whole point of the Bentley.

Matt, Is that about 270mm long?

What does it extend length by?

http://www.lawrenceprecision.co.uk/products

Ive fitted a few LP Aurora mods, they worked very well compared to the other makes available.

The new Zodiac looks an interesting alternative to my usual go to choice when asked what to recommend.

Cost will always be the issue (and talking point), but if we all drove Fords or Vauxhals, life would be very dull indeed….

hi all,

been interested in the titanium silencers for a while now

it looks bulkier than the other 2 silencers, pity it isn't a thinner or shorter profile

What is the cost of one, I have heard they are around the £600 mark?

Ray

hi all,

been interested in the titanium silencers for a while now

it looks bulkier than the other 2 silencers, pity it isn't a thinner or shorter profile

What is the cost of one, I have heard they are around the £600 mark?

Ray

Ray,

Have a look at the link a couple of posts up - Simon does a range of different mods in all shapes and sizes.

I see and hear quite a few mods and it is always the Laurence Moderators that are pointed out to me before we have even finished unpacking.

They are certainly well made, as are many others, and most other mods are made of Aircraft Alloy with Stainlesss baffles so gas cutting is becoming less of an issue these days.

I won't say any more or, if I haven't already been, I'll be classed as one of the Laurence Internet Stalkers, which I am not but do invariably join in when they are discussed.

You'll need a new barrel if you use a T8 for any length of time! :P :lol:

or alternatively a shade over £200 for a TET mod with titanium brake ali construction and SS inserts and also very well made. As has been already said. You pay your money and take your choice. Each to their own just don't buy a T8, they're garbage.

I've owned a JetZ on a .243 - followed by a JetZ compact on my .300 winmag.

My .300 winmag is now crowned by a Lawrence Precision Eclipse, which makes the rifle so much easier to carry and move around with. It's also quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection from towers, which tend to be noisier because they're more enclosed.

Bearing in mind if you've more than one rifle, the mod can be fitted with an exchangeable bush which means it can fit your other rifles too, the initial outlay doesn't seem too expensive.

I can't see why you'd want to spend money on a moderator that will burn out and require another one when you can spend a bit more and get something that will last: - fit more than one rifle - and is made by a chap in Nottingham who'll deal with any enquiries promptly and will give the item a lifetime guarantee !

Highly recommended by me. And within my circle of shooting friends there are 7 owners who's Lawrence Precision items fit over 12 rifles.

c18rch, how long did you own a T8 to help you form the opinion it is garbage ?

I had one for more than ten years and used it almost every day and didn't pay too much attention to it other than a wipe down after a rainy session and the odd squirt of Phosphro, which made the first shot smell nice, and could not fault it.

It was only after more lighter mods came on the market that I changed it for a different one but my opinion, based on fact, of the T8 has not changed.

Whoops, sorry Mods for going off topic but I'm afraid the T8 has served a lot of people well for quite a long time before any of the others appeared on the market.

I think I had it about 4 years before it rotted through. The pin hole that appeared on the internal tube allowed the muzzle blast to flame cut the barrel of the rifle I was using it on at the time. Only a few shots were fired (it was noticeable because it suddenly started whistling) but it was enough to remove the finish from that barrel and cause very (very) slight damage that you could just about feel if you ran your finger over it.

I’d like to think that I looked after it whilst I had it. It got a blast of the napier oil from both ends after every outing and was dried out in an airing cupboard if it got wet. I even swilled it out a few times with 009.

I’ve now had my wildcat for 7 years with very similar usage and no such problems. I am about to change to one of the new TET mods, but that is due to weight rather than any fault of the wildcat. At the time I bought it the wildcat was really the only option for an easily strippable mod Which after my experience with the T8 is requirement No1 for any mod I buy.

I've owned a JetZ on a .243 - followed by a JetZ compact on my .300 winmag.

My .300 winmag is now crowned by a Lawrence Precision Eclipse, which makes the rifle so much easier to carry and move around with. It's also quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection from towers, which tend to be noisier because they're more enclosed.

Bearing in mind if you've more than one rifle, the mod can be fitted with an exchangeable bush which means it can fit your other rifles too, the initial outlay doesn't seem too expensive.

I can't see why you'd want to spend money on a moderator that will burn out and require another one when you can spend a bit more and get something that will last: - fit more than one rifle - and is made by a chap in Nottingham who'll deal with any enquiries promptly and will give the item a lifetime guarantee !

Highly recommended by me. And within my circle of shooting friends there are 7 owners who's Lawrence Precision items fit over 12 rifles.

I have no axe to grind vis a vis particular makes,but won't most moderators transfer to other rifles with the same thread (always assuming calibre is accomodated)? My old xxx has been on 5 different rifles,and would go on any 5/8 unf .So transfer is hardly an exclusive advantage for one make....

Some - eg North Star don't even need a bushing at all,though that is no big deal.

Whether one pricey mod is equivalent to two at half the price is a personal decision.

But let's be fair and not tout something as if it were an exclusive advantage.

My A-TEC Maxim is interchangeable on all my rifles that have the same thread.

I have one Remington rifle that has the 'old fashioned' 1/2" x 20 unf and that is easily sorted by changing the threaded section with a 1/2" x 20 module.

So I can go from .222, .243, .308 and 30-06 with no trouble at all, if I wanted to.

Put like that yes! You'll need a new barrel if you use a T8 for any length of time! :P:lol:

or alternatively a shade over £200 for a TET mod with titanium brake ali construction and SS inserts and also very well made. As has been already said. You pay your money and take your choice. Each to their own just don't buy a T8, they're garbage.

"A new barrel" sounds alarming-it seems though that the fault-I'd imagine a warm wet mod would rust-caused an almost undetectable mark on the outside of the barrel.Unfortunate yes,but hardly a 'must replace ' scenario,surely? And the mark would be undetectable when a replacement mod was on the rifle.

As before,I have no brief pro or con any one make,but some of these 'reasons' are becoming a little desperate-and in any case,say nothing about different makes,which might fail too......'x is garbage' is just not the same as 'therefore y isn't"..

I'd like to see an official/scientific appraisal of the Lawrence mods compared to other makes.

If you pay £700+ for a moderator, then of course it will sound quieter .... to you .... but only a dB meter will tell you the real story. ;)

Les. It needs to be a pretty sophisticated DB meter to handle the short duration of a gunshot.

I would have thought a blind comparative hearing test of a selection of diff mods and from a selection of mark 1 ear'oles would be more objective than a regular sound meter.

I remember everyone complaining about my old TLD mod at one of the early Quarry shoots despite their claims that it was one of the quietest mods on the market. With lots of rifles firing in close proximity the louder (and quieter) mods really do stand out.

GB. It is fairly well known that the T8's rot out sooner or later, mine certainly rotted in no time, however, I have a T4 on my .223 and it is lasting well at at least 8 years with little maintenance. I do feel that Rich is entitled to a bit of a gripe as his rotted on the inside of the reflex tube, and, though minor, damaged his barrel!

The Lawrence mods are reassuringly expensive? In my experience, that doesn't always follow especially in the world of firearms.

If you can justify the cost then fine. Good value? Maybe it is if you can afford one. I'm sure it is and should be, a very nice unit for that money.

Rup

Les. It needs to be a pretty sophisticated DB meter to handle the short duration of a gunshot.

I would have thought a blind comparative hearing test of a selection of diff mods and from a selection of mark 1 ear'oles would be more objective than a regular sound meter.

Rup

Fair comment. There are ballistic dB meters available, but they probably aren't that common, so the old Mk 1's is a good call. It would be nice to have a definitive answer, though.

I have no doubt that the Titanium unit will have better longevity, and I have no problem with the asking price. Some will find them to be expensive, others won't. That's life! :)

"A new barrel" sounds alarming-it seems though that the fault-I'd imagine a warm wet mod would rust-caused an almost undetectable mark on the outside of the barrel.Unfortunate yes,but hardly a 'must replace ' scenario,surely? And the mark would be undetectable when a replacement mod was on the rifle.

As before,I have no brief pro or con any one make,but some of these 'reasons' are becoming a little desperate-and in any case,say nothing about different makes,which might fail too......'x is garbage' is just not the same as 'therefore y isn't"..

:rolleyes: I was being facetious. I certainly didn't throw that barrel away but I was certainly more than a little hacked off to say the least. I have no doubt that continued use would have resulted in a scrap barrel, and when there are so many more options now for the same sort of money with the same (subjectively assessed) perfomance why put up with it.

:rolleyes: I was being facetious. I certainly didn't throw that barrel away but I was certainly more than a little hacked off to say the least. I have no doubt that continued use would have resulted in a scrap barrel, and when there are so many more options now for the same sort of money with the same (subjectively assessed) perfomance why put up with it.

Hmm ...I rather though it wasn't a carefully considered point....as you would see any increasing damage each time the mod came of,and could decide not to use it more-and I understand the disappointment........but the basic point remains...one failure on an xxxmod does NOT mean yyymods are perfect-time will tell.I did look up to see if there had been a 'measurement test'-it would only be db ,not long term durability,and ...well,the equipment didn't work....not very reassuring...Doesn't mean it isn't very good....but 'not proven ' so far,and they will be just the thing for some shooters.

I seem to recall that one could replace their T8/4 with another with a hefty discount, and, I'm sure I will be proven wrong, I think the same went for the north stars and the jet-z ones too. Now, that IS good business practice and one that reassures if something goes wrong. I have no complaint nor do I intend to changing my (second) T8 unless it shows erosion (i.e. The dreaded pin hole...) and never had to change the Jet-z... Both of these moderators serve two rifles each...is there a similar offer by the titanium moderators, should they wear out/get damaged? If so, in the long run it would make the original investment worth while.

Jacksons will replace these mods at 60% of the current retail price as they are designed from the outset to be a consumable. That said, i,ve never seen , or heard of either a Jet-z or a Northstar wearing out.

I have customers who have had various parts replaced out of warranty, and generally allsorts done FOC by Peter.

His company's aftersales services is without doubt the best in the business.

Jacksons will replace these mods at 60% of the current retail price as they are designed from the outset to be a consumable. That said, i,ve never seen , or heard of either a Jet-z or a Northstar wearing out.

I have customers who have had various parts replaced out of warranty, and generally allsorts done FOC by Peter.

His company's aftersales services is without doubt the best in the business.

Just to be "the one" you might want to look at mine then. Jet Z on the 4th barrel. It's had around 6000 rounds through it of Win270. Putting an endoscope down it reveals flame cutting and rounding off of the baffles. It's very loud now, so much I don't bother with it any more. To me that qualifies as worn out, not surprising really ;):lol:

ATB

PS why does this bb throw a hissy fit over the word m8te and substitute "sir" ? :huh:

Archived