Stalking Back Pack

Some great posts cheers, some I have read twice and have no idea whats going on ...!!! ( no offence intended !!)

The problems I came across when in The Highlands this Feb with my kit was:

- Sandwiches in Jacket got squashed when crawling - a serious problem - dont joke !!

- Can of coke digging into again when crawling

- No the serious one was we got caught in several blizzards which meant you needed a fair bit of gear and at least two pairs of gloves etc. The rifle was in my drag bag for a couple of days which was great but on one of the days the stalker persuaded me to just use my bi-athlon type sling. Anyway after the blizzard the rifle was full of snow and to be honest almost unusable. It was far better/easier to use when kept dry.

I like the idea of the bum bag and there are a few good examples because at least when you crawl you dont squash those sarnies !! This combines with a camelback in the summer would work well.

I am also not after such a huge bag as some of the rucksacks suggested but thanks anyway - good to make an informed choice and I had never heard of a few of them.

I still like the Napier Razor Back Stalker but just wish they put 2 decent pockets on it. If fact I'll ring them up as ask if they can !!!

http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Razorback_Range.html

A simple rifle case with rucksack straps and enough room for a coat and a sarnie ..............???

Some great posts cheers, some I have read twice and have no idea whats going on ...!!! ( no offence intended !!)

The problems I came across when in The Highlands this Feb with my kit was:

- Sandwiches in Jacket got squashed when crawling - a serious problem - dont joke !!

- Can of coke digging into again when crawling

- No the serious one was we got caught in several blizzards which meant you needed a fair bit of gear and at least two pairs of gloves etc. The rifle was in my drag bag for a couple of days which was great but on one of the days the stalker persuaded me to just use my bi-athlon type sling. Anyway after the blizzard the rifle was full of snow and to be honest almost unusable. It was far better/easier to use when kept dry.

I like the idea of the bum bag and there are a few good examples because at least when you crawl you dont squash those sarnies !! This combines with a camelback in the summer would work well.

I am also not after such a huge bag as some of the rucksacks suggested but thanks anyway - good to make an informed choice and I had never heard of a few of them.

I still like the Napier Razor Back Stalker but just wish they put 2 decent pockets on it. If fact I'll ring them up as ask if they can !!!

http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Razorback_Range.html

A simple rifle case with rucksack straps and enough room for a coat and a sarnie ..............???

I really like the Napier Razor Back Stalker, and it's not silly money like some companies either....

I like the bolt carrier, again reasonably priced, infact I may well buy one!

I partly agree with Ronin, as regards the old adage of "buy cheap, buy twice" . But in my experience, that isn't always the case.

And each to their own.... :)

Jamie

Small roll , tastes the same crushed! And your not working hard enough if you care ? A couple of hills and I'd eat a scabby donkey !

Capri sun won't dig into you when crawling (I drink from the burn)

Your rifle is a primadonna ! Mine has always worked rain snow or even sunshine ? You can get a scope/action cover with a strap that has a muzzle protector as well if your really bothered ?

Neoprene gloves are warm when wet

A norgee shirt under a Swazi thar does me ok (dry kit in the Argo/4x4 to change into on your return)

Keeping dry in the highlands is a fantasy while stalking , get used to being wet and make it as comfortable as you can !

What does your stalker use/wear ?

Listen up ,people! Step up to the plate,and fess up,if you made a judgement call for a fashion forward $734 bag from the get go,you alpha male big beast,you.Is it fit for purpose,best practice,must have in your skill set,you cash rich,brain poor,bandwidth challenged legend? Is it your bad,to be rocking that look?

Look at the post specs-is an 8lb,50l $730 bag really to die for,let alone pay for? Just to be waterproof,room for sarnies and a drink.You know what,don't even go there.Trending madness.Do the math,anytime soon,get your fist bumps with a risk averse ,comfort zone,no brainer for £100,heads up,and good to go,no issues.Just be.

Talking of which,the scottish gentleman would manage with tweed pockets,and a proper rifle(short mannlicher carbine,61/2 lb,and might have the ghillie take the minimal strain).How good is that! A true

yorkshireman would be up to heavier duty,being used to carrying a chip on each shoulder.

No hurting,impact focussed,smashed it,£50. Bling isn't to podium. Deep learnings here.

Take a chill pill,loosen up, suck some me time.We like go to guys,don't we girls?

Don't literally spend your ass off.ROFLMAO freebie scores for cool .

Anyhow,that's how I roll,big spenders.

Gbal

PS,I hope you get the right bag for you,Wishy.

All I got from that was the bag cost more than its worth but you're willing to pay for a mannlicher! Only rifle that's more of a rip off is a blaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssser! :-D

All I got from that was the bag cost more than its worth but you're willing to pay for a mannlicher! Only rifle that's more of a rip off is a blaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssser! :-D

Ok-the hidden agenda-apparently-was that there is much hype around.But that is a side line,compared to getting what is really needed at a sensible price-what is sensible/needed does vary....but $734 is pricey for a backpack thingy.

Maybe you don't know about the classic early Mannlicher Schoenaurs? At one time THE gentleperson's stalking rifle-well under 7lb,and in 6.5.They were not cheap,especially the bespoke London modified ones.But as a hill carry effective rifle,hard to beat,even now.Pure quality,made right way back 'in the day',and now cost less than a used Sakka,not that there is anything wrong with both of those.Nor modern much more expensive offerings.Too expensive perhaps,as you imply,and I agree,for stalking-though they might,I say might,be revered by connoisseurs in a hundred years time. I'd rather spend my 750 on an m/s than a bag.Others will choose differently.Bon chasse.

Gbal

My point was you can't use the 'quality costs' argument for the rifle and then argue against it for the bag.

I agree, $700 is too much for a bag for my needs. I am more than happy with my eberlestock, but then I do not carry it for days on end and my life does not depend on it. As has been argued on here, there are some who believe they need the extra quality from the more expensive bag. Each to their own.

Back to the original topic, I do however think the eberlestocks are too big and bulky for stalking. Great for extended range days like WMS, RRC, the quarry etc, or if you are out all day stalking somewhere remote.

My point was you can't use the 'quality costs' argument for the rifle and then argue against it for the bag.[/size]

[/size]

I agree, $700 is too much for a bag for my needs. I am more than happy with my eberlestock, but then I do not carry it for days on end and my life does not depend on it. As has been argued on here, there are some who believe they need the extra quality from the more expensive bag. Each to their own.[/size]

[/size]

Back to the original topic, I do however think the eberlestocks are too big and bulky for stalking. Great for extended range days like WMS, RRC, the quarry etc, or if you are out all day stalking somewhere remote. [/size]

OK,but let's be consistent.I did say' others will choose differently'.

It's a given that you need a rifle.Rucksack etc are optional,though variably desireable/convenient as per conditions.

My point was agreeing that a uber expensive rifle is an extravagance,and won't perform any better than many more modest rifles,under typical hill conditions (shortish ranges).I can't see any point in carrying a heavy rifle,especially if it needs a heavy duty ,expensive backpack,which won't keep you dry,either.£750 may be slightly more than is needed for a rifle,but it is a lot more cost effective than £3000.Whether there really is any advantage in a $730 backpack ,compared to a much less expensive option-such as stalkers/ghillies have succeeded with for many decades-can really only be decided after many hill outings,probably more than most ever will do.But if that is your thing,it's your money.Just for comparison,I don't really think you can get a satisfactory 1000y competition precision scope for £250-that game does need something cconsiderably 'better',say around £1000,but the returns on a £3500 scope are diminishingly small.So it is with most gear.

I note we've widened the arguement from having somewhere just for sandwiches,to somewhere for presentation grade Nigella sandwiches,and why not-tupperware (or bait box,as it was refered to in refined circles)! Hampers will need the pony! Bon apetit! :-)

Gbal

Thanks C18rch that does look v good and not too much dollar either.

I was just going to get the AIM 50" drag bag as that has the pockets and is quite a bit smaller than my drag bag.

Napier wouldn't do bigger pockets on their Stalker backpack or provide extra material so I could get a tailor to do it.

I think I'll try and see both as there's plenty of time before stalking.

Cheers for all your help on this

Sounds to me that this shooting lark is becoming like the Carp fishing brigade, Surely all you need is rifle, ammo,binos, waterproofs, drink a few nibbles ie energy bars or similar. That lot would fit in a few well chosen pockets.

Of course forward planning to, so get a bloody good breakfast down you before you set out, and a decent stew in a slow cooker for when you return.

Sounds to me that this shooting lark is becoming like the Carp fishing brigade, Surely all you need is rifle, ammo,binos, waterproofs, drink a few nibbles ie energy bars or similar. That lot would fit in a few well chosen pockets.

Of course forward planning to, so get a bloody good breakfast down you before you set out, and a decent stew in a slow cooker for when you return.

+1

Sounds like the good old days of classic stalking,rather than a modern 'yomp' with an overly heavy rifle...Why??

Gbal

Knife, water, something to carry the deer with/in?

Much more comfortable to use a small backpack or bumbag than have bulging pockets. Especially if you walk a fair distance.

Optional but I also have plastic bags, cable ties, tissues/kitchen roll in mine.

Knife, water, something to carry the deer with/in?[/size]

[/size]

Much more comfortable to use a small backpack or bumbag than have bulging pockets. Especially if you walk a fair distance.[/size]

Optional but I also have plastic bags, cable ties, tissues/kitchen roll in mine.

Of course,it's a choice.

On hill stalking for reds,there will be quite a bit of walking....and no way anyone is carrying a 14 stone stag-that's for the pony/4x4,though a short length of drag nylon rope is essential to get it to the access point.Bum bag is fine,I was not convinced a 60litre rucksack was essential! There will also be a ghillie/similar (you should not be alone) and he/she will have pockets too. I think the issue is light but enough,rather than kitted out for an expeditionary force.Nor would I carry a 12lb+ rifle.Extra midge cream,yes.Knife,phone.But whatever you will,as you are carrying it!

Gbal

I've used an AIM drag bag, an Eberlestock X1 and a normal sling.

The two first always feel like a little bit of overkill in terms of size, but I like carrying the rifle on both shoulders and they have room for water and layers. They can be a little slow if you bump deer up close.

I'd like to get my mitts on a biathlon type sling. I find normal slings a little annoying for carrying the rifle all day.

In random order my preferences are

> I like to be able stow my waterproof layer and perhaps a mid layer away if it's not raining and when I'm warm from moving

> Depending on where I shoot, it can also be handy with a soft case if the rifle is chucked in the back of an argocat (hence experimenting with the drag bag)

> I prefer to carry water a bit of water on the hill and find a camel back type bladder is optimal

> Apart from water and rifle, whatever little kit I bring is in my jacket or around my neck (knife, drag rope, binos and snack, sometimes a compass, sometimes a GPS for marking carcass locations)

> I also prefer a method of carrying that is easy to take on a plane as I usually fly to Scotland

The more space I have, the more crap I tend to carry. And I normally don't need it. Sitting down to brew a coffee or tea is great, but often the weather is not for it or I just keep wanting to take a peak around the next hill. I've also carried a butt pack, but didn't like it.

I still haven't found the ideal solution but try to go for less is more (emphasis on try).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived