Stalking Back Pack

Hi Just looking for any advice on what you guys use for a day on the hill.

I have an 'Eagle' drag bag measuring 53" and really like it but the barrel does stick up above my head when carrying it. If I turn the straps around and have the barrel down then it catches on the back of my legs. Neither is perfect.

I would like something fully waterproof, with some padding and enough space for a waterproof and some sarnies and a drink but that's it really.

The Napier Razorback Rifle looks ideal but it has very limited storage other than for the rifle from what I can see. If they put an extra pocket on it like the drag bag it would be perfect.

Others options look like a full on ruck sack with massive storage that I really dont need, so something in between....?

My rifle measures 48" with the mod on and I always have the bipod on aswell if that helps narrow down suitable contenders.

Any thoughts or pics appreciated.

Cheers Wishy

If I'm going on a hike with the rifle and its real hot, i'll take my Camelback which has a small pouch that will take a first aid kit and some food.

Everything else gets placed in pockets of my stalking jacket.

I'm with ronin , although I use a kifaru scout , my rifle is made to be weather proof etc so doesn't get the luxury of a bag on the hill

don't do hills but I've got one of these which is pretty good.

http://www.huntinghaven.com.au/p/stoney-creek-silent-series-hunting-bumbag-bayleaf-green/3227

im not normally that far from the truck so it doesn't get used much

When I hill stalk I work on the principle of as light weight as possible. I just take what I can carry and the rifle in a thin cover. I do t even use a bipod due to the heather, the stalker uses something which resembles a deck chair.

Having said that I have I viper recon bag which feels about right.

Come on, even a misplaced yorks / Scottish cross (like you) must appreciate the quality of this kit..

Ha, outstanding Ronin.

Wishy, get your kit sorted, take what you need and condense it down. Most kit can be carried on your person. If not a small ruck sack is usually enough.

Come on, even a misplaced yorks / Scottish cross (like you) must appreciate the quality of this kit..

More Scottish than Yorkshire one hopes!

Listen up ,people! Step up to the plate,and fess up,if you made a judgement call for a fashion forward $734 bag from the get go,you alpha male big beast,you.Is it fit for purpose,best practice,must have in your skill set,you cash rich,brain poor,bandwidth challenged legend? Is it your bad,to be rocking that look?

Look at the post specs-is an 8lb,50l $730 bag really to die for,let alone pay for? Just to be waterproof,room for sarnies and a drink.You know what,don't even go there.Trending madness.Do the math,anytime soon,get your fist bumps with a risk averse ,comfort zone,no brainer for £100,heads up,and good to go,no issues.Just be.

Talking of which,the scottish gentleman would manage with tweed pockets,and a proper rifle(short mannlicher carbine,61/2 lb,and might have the ghillie take the minimal strain).How good is that! A true

yorkshireman would be up to heavier duty,being used to carrying a chip on each shoulder.

No hurting,impact focussed,smashed it,£50. Bling isn't to podium. Deep learnings here.

Take a chill pill,loosen up, suck some me time.We like go to guys,don't we girls?

Don't literally spend your ass off.ROFLMAO freebie scores for cool .

Anyhow,that's how I roll,big spenders.

Gbal

PS,I hope you get the right bag for you,Wishy.

The sun is shining it looks like gbal has beenon the pop :D

:-) that would be " in vino veritas"...cool,but not the contemporary English of sports commentating,ineffective middle management wannabees..(O.M.G. I'm infected!), or other no brainers,who don't think (natch!).

I will re-read it tonight after a bottle of rioch and if it still makes no sense then I will have a bottle of quinta de vargalas vintage port and if still no sense I shall not care any more !

Why not something like this if you want the real thing...

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/weapons-carry-packs

Over £400 for an elongated rucksake!

If you take away the little extra material to take the muzzle/butt of the gun in the picture, that "rucksack" would sell for way less than £200.

It really 5****** me off that "us" shooters get shafted on price almost everytime!.....

I have handled a mystery ranch bag. The quality blows everything else out of the water and built to depend on. Quite clearly we dont depend on this kit in the same manner and shouldnt dismiss it. The frame holds the rifle much better than my eberlestock pack, but I dont go out for days.

There is more than just an extrs bit of material....

He he, thats why I use a biathlon sling and a hydration pack...

However the Mystery Ranch kit is by no means a rip off, if you want the best there is that will last for years, it costs.

Buy cheap, buy twice, or again and again.

May be expensive but it works 100%

There are several of us who have seen and handled this manufacturers equipment first hand, its worth the investment compared to others.

If thats the way you want to go.

I will re-read it tonight after a bottle of rioch and if it still makes no sense then I will have a bottle of quinta de vargalas vintage port and if still no sense I shall not care any more !

tackb,enjoy-glad to provide an excuse for excess-my bottle of "Cairn O'Mohr' -13.3%-is cooling in the fridge,to go with Sundays strawberries.

Scotch-egg your diagnosis is premature.

Actually I was looking at some GCSE exam papers,and thought that our kids who make it to the exams still write in understandable English-no textspeak etc .Just for a break,while I had a coffee-or is it a latte-frappe,possums?-I wondered how much gobbledegook gibberish ,as used by the (otherwise educated) twatteratti-as Richard Wilson has labelled them-one could get in a sentence.

Heads up,there it is-just as it spewed out.It translates thus:

"If you have ever overindulged in expensive gear,all that the hill stalker needs is an old gun slip,and tweed jacket,using the pockets for sandwiches,drink and cartridges.Maybe £50,not $734."

Then theres a bit about the rifle,m/s 6.5 160gSP@2300- for those that quite rightly have an interest in these things-it might be about 100 years old,but yet to be seriously overtaken overall,on the hill.I don't begrudge good gear when it's needed!

The rest is just rubbish speak-if you don't fully understand,so much the better,but it is coming.It replaces the need to think as it is largely vacuous,or at best inferior to plain English."The team were faced with a situation",informed the pundit,who was clearly faced with a vacuum,or perhaps a mirror-same thing.

As others have said,good gear is a pleasure,but perhaps not if it takes treasure. "Good enough" for a fraction of the price is worth considering-especially as the most expensive is not always the best for a particular mission deployment situation (job).

As to ethnic origins,"Heads up" might be cool in Chelsea,but "Up Norf " a loud shout:

"What's tha fookin dooin thee? Gerrarton way thezza fookin lorry cummin in!"

just works.Go figure.

End of.

Gbal

SORRY _ DIDN"T MEAN TO POUR A DOUBLE_IGNOREtackb,enjoy-glad to provide an excuse for excess-my bottle of "Cairn O'Mohr' -13.3%-is cooling in the fridge,to go with Sundays strawberries.

Scotch-egg your diagnosis is premature.

Actually I was looking at some GCSE exam papers,and thought that our kids who make it to the exams still write in understandable English-no textspeak etc .Just for a break,while I had a coffee-or is it a latte-frappe,possums?-I wondered how much gobbledegook gibberish ,as used by the (otherwise educated) twatteratti-as Richard Wilson has labelled them-one could get in a sentence.

Heads up,there it is-just as it spewed out.

"If you have ever overindulged in expensive gear,all that the hill stalker needs is an old gun slip,and tweed jacket,using the pockets for sandwiches,drink and cartridges.Maybe £50,not $734."

Then theres a bit about the rifle,m/s 6.5 160gSP@2300- for those that quite rightly have an interest in these things-it might be about 100 years old,but yet to be seriously overtaken overall,on the hill.I don't begrudge good gear when it's needed!

The rest is just rubbish speak-if you don't fully understand,so much the better,but it is coming.It replaces the need to think as it is largely vacuous,or at best inferior to plain English."The team were faced with a situation",informed the pundit,who was clearly faced with a vacuum,or perhaps a mirror-same thing.

As others have said,good gear is a pleasure,but perhaps not if it takes treasure. "Good enough" for a fraction of the price is worth considering-especially as the most expensive is not always the best for a particular mission deployment situation (job).

As to ethnic origins,"Heads up" might be cool in Chelsea,but "Up Norf " a loud shout:

"What's tha fookin dooin thee? Gerrarton way thezza fookin lorry cummin in!"

just works.Go figure.

End of.

Cheers,

Gbal

Archived