Kahles or s&b

Late

Yes I have both. To my eye the schmidt just has the edge but it is marginal. However I prefer the ergonomics of the Kahles - I'm left handed and the parallax adjustment on top below the elevation turret is brilliant. The constantly variable illumination is also very good. My 624 has the mil4 reticle and I like it but I would recommend contacting Desert Tactical and looking at the reticle in their Kahles scope to. The one downside of the 624 is a parallax adjustment that only goes down to 50mtr. You'd have to decide if that's an issue for you.

I'd recommend looking through both before you choose. You are welcome if you want a trip up to Derbyshire.

I still think the 5-25 S&B is the worst scope S&B made in the recent years. The tunnel vision at low mag is a flaw. I prefer the Kahles, never had an urge to own the 5-25. If one walks past the S&B stand at a trade show and picks up and looks through every scope they display ...the 5-25 sticks out with that tunnel vision.

Also the illumination drum that takes away ring space is a bit of a bugger.

I mainly stalk with the Kahles and never had a problem with the lack of low end parallax. Shot a few dear at under 20yds. I do understand some use the 5-25 on air rifles where the low end parallax would be needed.

edi

I have the Kahles and love it. Great choice of ret's too. I really only use mine for hunting and the clarity is as good as anything I have looked through. I have never put it up against my mates PM11 but probably should soon.

Your welcome to check mine out if your near.

Very true,sorry.Ive just taken my pm2 off my competition gun and put a March 60 on,the weight difference is amazing,would have thought for stalking it would be a great advantage.

I own both the S&B and the March and have spent days doing direct comparisons, the Kahles I've had limited time with,I would put them in this order.

S&B

Kahles

March

That's why I mentioned March really,Your looking at scopes in that price bracket so worth a look.The only reason I have the March 60 at the bottom is I shoot field target and we use the scope to range find,on 60mag I loose all definition and fine detail 50mag is useable but on a £2400 scope I think you should be able to use the full range.Not saying their all like that,it may just be mine,oh and they have a very long eye relief.

I've overcome both issues above by using a 30% booster lens on the eye bell,scope set on 40mag actually giving me approx 53mag,I now get great definition and a big target image.And as an added bonus its reduced the eye relief,and magnified the reticle.

• 1 month later...

I still think the 5-25 S&B is the worst scope S&B made in the recent years. The tunnel vision at low mag is a flaw. I prefer the Kahles, never had an urge to own the 5-25. If one walks past the S&B stand at a trade show and picks up and looks through every scope they display ...the 5-25 sticks out with that tunnel vision.

Also the illumination drum that takes away ring space is a bit of a bugger.

I mainly stalk with the Kahles and never had a problem with the lack of low end parallax. Shot a few dear at under 20yds. I do understand some use the 5-25 on air rifles where the low end parallax would be needed.

edi

I looked through all the pm2's including the 5-25 at the shooting show..never noticed the tunnelling...all I can say is superb scopes could not fault them.on full mag there was nothing I saw that was as good...and I looked through most a the top brands...cant be that bad there were 20 competitors for that mill contract and S/B took it yet agen with the 3-27x56 PM.2

Given a choice , I pick the S&B 5-25x56mm PMII , as I am use to the 4-16x50mm PMII , so all the same controls in the same places etc , ME I have NO problems with the tunnelling at 5x , WHY , seriously , you buy this scope to use at magnifications closer to the top end ie 25x , than at the extreme low end ie 5x .

I use the 5-25x on a 300WM & have just swapped it out on to a 338LM , on my 308 AW sits a 4-16x50mm PMII , all use the P4F reticle .

I have looked thru the kahles 624 and liked the feel of the clicks etc & the reticle , BUT still prefer the overal layout & feature set of the PMII benders .

And I see more value in the 5-25x PMII , than the 3-27x PMII thats almost twice the price of the 5-25x .

The only thing I see thats good in the 3-27x is the so called 3 turn knob , allowing 36 mil of UP , BUT its a option , I have never SEEN , down side is the 3-27 only seems to have the locking turrets , I would prefer the non locking std type .

Later Chris

Can I chuck the Vortex Razor HD Gen2 into the mix. Cheaper than both above superb optics. Lifetime warranty. Would love to see if someone has one of these.

I'd be very jealous. Haha

CZV

• 2 weeks later...

The 5-25x 56mm PMII , the para goes down to 10m , I think , I have never gone done to that short , as its been on a 308 & 300WM , and zeroed at 100m .

So the 5-25x would be OK on a air rifle or 22lr rifle as well as on fullbore etc .

My 4-16x50mm PMII is 50 m para .

Archived