Loading for a 7mm wsm

dorg

what loads do you all recommend using N165 and berger 180vlds, especially what primers, jump or jam and neck tension please.

Thanks Dorg

63/65 grns of power 3 thou neck tension primers play about with the choices touching lands to start with then walk the bullets into the land by 3 thou till you find the sweet spot .

ask Desparado his load, I know he was using vit 165

should get you started

Personally, I would never load into the lands for F Class - get a "cease fire" called by the RO, open your bolt and get an action full of powder. Shoot over.

Happened to me one day one of a League Shoot - lesson learned.

Personally, I would never load into the lands for F Class - get a "cease fire" called by the RO, open your bolt and get an action full of powder. Shoot over.

Happened to me one day one of a League Shoot - lesson learned.

agreed soft seated , but 3 thou will put a fair grip on a bullet , most people who shoot with a jam only go in 5 thou or so

I take Vince's word as gospel, but every 7mm I have that shoots the vld's I have found that they like to be into the lands, typically between 15 and 20 thou, and I normally run 1-2 thou neck tension.

As of yet (touch wood) I haven't had one pulled.

Strange one here as my shehane like 15 thou jump and my slr using the 105 vld likes 20 odd jump

there is a bit of a swing to Hybred bergers for hotter 7mms , there jumped so no problems with pulling bullets in the lands , personally its never happened to me.

I have always worked on the starting assumption that each barrel and bullet combination needs to find it's own best seating depth. You can be guided as to start position by other 'identical' barrels for that bullet,and might not be surprised if yours ended up similar-IF there is some general agreement.But the barrels do have to be near identical,and maybe chambers too.Not a problem at all,and in any case you can just start from scratch-say 5 thou off and go out or maybe in,with trial testing,which most would find hard to resist anyhow!I'd be surprised if there was any real consistency between different rifles-though the likely window for seating depth is quite small,and some may not have actually found the optimum,just a an acceptably good depth,in their rifle-not yours.You would expect identical ogive bullets to like similar depth of seating..

There are of course some fairly general experience based guidelines-VLDs tend to be seating depth fussy-which is precisely why Berger brought out their line of Hybrids-even sacrificing some BC (gasp!) to achieve seating depth tolerance.(reading a little into that,also more likely to get good results from more shooters ,and avoid some of the VLD flak). And Vince's point about possible spillage bears attention in light tension ammo seated too far into lands.

Seating depth is best considered a characteristic of that barrel and that bullet-different bullets will-obviously?-likely be optimised for accuracy by different seating depths.Some combinations might be quite tolerant,or acceptably so....There might even be a few other factors,though if so,they are likely to be minor

('seating depth' used throughout as generic term for bullet jump/jamb etc).

Not too different from optimal powder weight(s) .... though that seldom controls for pressure.What's to surprise?

Gbal

I was shooting at Diggle a few years ago with a previous rifle in 284 Shehane with a Berger 180gr VLD jammed into the rifling by 15 thou or so.

The R.O. called for a ceasefire and to withdraw any rounds. Well you guessed it, I withdrew the bolt very slowly and the round came out less bullet and half the powder was in the chamber and got into the trigger action.

It was an absolute TW*T to get the powder granules out in time before shooting commenced. As I was shooting in a local Diggle F class comp I was given time to clear it. If that was in an F class league shoot I may have had to withdraw. Sometimes you might get lucky and the round will come out in one piece, sometimes you might not!

I take Vince's word as gospel, but every 7mm I have that shoots the vld's I have found that they like to be into the lands, typically between 15 and 20 thou, and I normally run 1-2 thou neck tension.

As of yet (touch wood) I haven't had one pulled.

Yes, I run my 1000yd 7WSM bench gun about 8 thou into the lands but, if we get an emergency ceasefire in benchrest it's 'step back from your rifle and await further instructions'. When the danger has been eliminated, we carry on.

• 1 month later...

I was shooting at Diggle a few years ago with a previous rifle in 284 Shehane with a Berger 180gr VLD jammed into the rifling by 15 thou or so.

The R.O. called for a ceasefire and to withdraw any rounds. Well you guessed it, I withdrew the bolt very slowly and the round came out less bullet and half the powder was in the chamber and got into the trigger action.

It was an absolute TW*T to get the powder granules out in time before shooting commenced. As I was shooting in a local Diggle F class comp I was given time to clear it. If that was in an F class league shoot I may have had to withdraw. Sometimes you might get lucky and the round will come out in one piece, sometimes you might not!

HRH Holgate aka Stephen Hawking look alike has always said that whenever you withdraw your bolt you go and make a mess everywhere ! :D

Archived